Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] [SCRIPT] PurgeWrangler: AMD + NVIDIA eGPUs for all Thunderbolt Macs  

of  170
  RSS

taftwin
(@taftwin)

Posted by: @mac_editor

@taftwin, Add system information to your signature. What version of macOS on the 2011? NVM I see its High Sierra in logs. Logs don't show eGPU plugged in. Please take logs with them plugged in.

As requested. I don't think the port or the cable is detecting the eGPU. Which is weird, since I'm able to get video from the mini display port just fine.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eBRZfqm4tYJeFs18y_NckkSr927uMIV8/view?usp=sharing

13" Macbook Pro (Early 2011 Intel Core i5 2.3 GHz), 16 GB RAM, 1TB Samsung SSD, 10.13.6 High Sierra Razer Core X with a Sapphire Radeon RX 580.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@taftwin, Logs still indicate no Thunderbolt device is plugged in.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
taftwin
(@taftwin)

Posted by: @mac_editor

@taftwin, Logs still indicate no Thunderbolt device is plugged in.

OK. That means I'll have to check the port or the cable. Like I said, I know the eGPU and it's connection is working, I'm using it on another mac right now. Thanks. 

13" Macbook Pro (Early 2011 Intel Core i5 2.3 GHz), 16 GB RAM, 1TB Samsung SSD, 10.13.6 High Sierra Razer Core X with a Sapphire Radeon RX 580.

ReplyQuote
JSWill
(@jswill)

I know many of us are using rx 580, and I just got the info from some vendors say the RX 580 2048sp DOES NOT WORK with Mac. Keep in mind if there is any chance that you see a 2048sp. Can some experts from this forum confirm this? 

Also, does the rx 5700 and rx 5500xt work with purgewrangler on old macs (like 2012 iMac)? Please advice. 

THX as always! 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Ryan Wong
(@ryan_wong)

Hi,

I tried to use PurgeWrangler script to run AMD RX580.

However, the eGPU is not working after the relevant steps. 

Is anyone experiencing the same?

Thanks.

screen 1

screen

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
kcates7
(@kcates7)

HI, I'm a video/graphics editor (Adobe) and I want to speed up my rendering on my 2015 MBP running 10.13.6. I just ordered a Razer Core X & ASRock AMD RX Vega 56. I have the TB2 -> TB3 adapter. I'm not using this machine for gaming or windows. I've searched all over but have not found the definitive steps for proper installation. Do I run purge-wrangler.sh and automate-eGPU EFI? Thanks for your help!

2015 MBP (11,5), 2.5GHz quad i7, 16GB ram, Intel Iris Pro 1536MB, AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048MB, 10.13.6  High Sierra

ReplyQuote
Mark Thomas
(@mark_thomas)

@ryan_wong, Hi - Same problem here.

I have a

- 2015 IMAC with Thunderbolt 2.

- 2020 Mac book Air with Thunderbolt 3

- Razer Core X with an AMD 590 plugged into a TV via a HDMI cable.

- both running the latest versions of MacOSX

The setup works fine with the MacBook air as you would expect from native support.

For the IMAC, I've disabled SIP,  installed pure_wrangler but it doesn't detect the EGPU. I've told it to install the support anyway.

I know my thunderbolt 2 cable is good as I can use the IMAC as a 2nd screen to my MAcBook air.

Any ideas, tried rebooting, plugging in before or after reboot but it won't detect at all.

I've taken log files, but not sure how to upload them here.

thanks

MArk

This post was modified 3 weeks ago

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: @kcates7

Do I run purge-wrangler.sh and automate-eGPU EFI ?

One or the other, not both. Choose whichever you feel most comfortable with. The former has newer patches for AMD GPUs in case you upgrade to Catalina or later.

@mark_thomas @ryan_wong issue may be related to: https://github.com/mayankk2308/purge-wrangler/issues/81

Which I can't do much about. Please try on a clean install of macOS.

Posted by: @jswill

Also, does the rx 5700 and rx 5500xt work with purgewrangler on old macs (like 2012 iMac )? Please advice. 

Yes, on macOS 10.15.1 or later, but read complications for your particular iMac before proceeding (see script wiki on Github).

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
kcates7
(@kcates7)

@mac_editor

Thanks!  I was able to download automate-GPU, but it sounds like purge-wrangler would be better. Can you point me to a safe link to download purge-wrangler?

Much appreciated!

Kevin

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@kcates7, follow the link on the first post and read the wiki.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
 of  170