[Solved] [SCRIPT] PurgeWrangler: AMD + NVIDIA eGPUs for all Thunderbolt Macs  

of  176
  RSS

firestarter451f
(@firestarter451f)

Hello,

(UPDATE at the end)

my experience so far:

MacbookPro mid 2015 (TB2) dGPU AMD + Razer Core X w/ amd rt5700xt + Big Sur Public Beta

Followed the instructions from beginners guide until before the installation and then to the advanced users guide to install the latest experimental build. I did the manual install. Right after, at first boot, I faced the infinite loading bar at start-up (with no actual startup). Then, trial and error (after several failed boots), in recovery mode, I managed to fix the never-ending loading bar by running these commands in the terminal by this exact sequence (thanks to @psonice and @Mac_editor):

diskutil apfs updatePreboot <YourBootVolume>

mount -uw /Volumes/<your macOS disk>

bless --folder /Volumes/<your macOS disk>/System/Library/CoreServices --bootefi --create-snapshot

(Don't really know the difference between "<yourbootvolume>" and "<your macOS disk", but I entered the same name in both) Everything is running as expected (I've purge-wrangler in High-sierra as well) and also there is a convenient "disconnect eGPU" icon in the upper bar next to the battery icon, that actually works. I'll start trying it out while working with applications if I find any bugs or setbacks I'll report them here.  

UPDATE:

When "prefer egpu" option is set, Adobe After Effects doesn't recognize the rx5700xt in the corresponding preferences saying it doesn't recognize the driver (maybe this is a problem with Bg Sur public beta or with Adobe), although, it opens and previews files flawlessly in real-time and GPU History shows significant activity from rx5700xt and just a little activity from discrete gpu.

Adobe Photoshop on the other hand, when set to prefer egpu, detects the rx5700xt, but doesn't preview any image I try to open, it's just a gray canvas. Again, it might be a problem with Big Sur or with Adobe. GPU History shows very little to none activity for rx5700xt.

Adobe Illustrator sticks with dGPU even if set to "prefer egpu". GPU History shows zero activity from rx5700xt. Again, it might be a problem with Big Sur or with Adobe.

UPDATE 2:

I've connected an external monitor via DP directly to eGPU, it works like a charm. MBP screen and external monitor via eGPU work together.

Cinema 4D utilizes both eGPU e dGPU for rendering.

This post was modified 2 months ago

MBP mid 2015 - High Sierra / Big Sur public beta - Razer Core X - Nvidia GTX1050Ti / Radeon RX5700XT

ReplyQuote
bitnaut
(@bitnaut)

@firestarter451f, Thanks! Your instructions totally worked for me on my 12 core Mac Pro 6,1!

Now on to test out some of my most used apps...

UPDATE: Just installed Big Sur beta 5 then reinstalled Purge Wrangler then booted into Recover mode to enter @firestarter451f's Terminal commands. Rebooted and all is well once more!

This post was modified 1 month ago

Mac Pro 6,1 12 core with 64GB RAM, 2TB disk and dual D500 running latest MacOS Big Sur beta. Hooked to a Razer Core X with Radeon VII

ReplyQuote
Christian Malejka
(@christian_malejka)

Hi Guys,

i got a problem with my setup. Unfortunate i cant find any similar problem. My Mac runs on 10.14.6 and i´m trying to implement a AMD Sapphire Pulse RX550 Card.

After getting through the step by step install from purge-wrangler and even trying the EFI USB boot script i can see my Akitio in the system information.

I also see under video card the information display...i include some photos for better explanation.

Question is what i miss to get a output to my external display? How can i get the Mac to load the AMD kext correct.

I read in a different post that in the AMDRadeonX4000.kext is the driver support for my RX550.

hope someone can give me hint to sort that out.

Edit: if i try to update the FW of the Akitio i get a error code that the software cant find any adapter.

I try to upload the photos again

This post was modified 1 month ago

MacBook Pro Early 2015 / 10.14.6 / Akitio Thunder2 / Sapphire Pulse RX 550

ReplyQuote
Christian Malejka
(@christian_malejka_1)

@christian_malejka

right that will be a bit confusing...but the Post I reply to is my own. But I can't figure out how to merge the new account with the other one, anyhow.

So I downgraded my OS to 10.13.6. and I changed back to my GT610 Nvidia Card. 

Lucky I can see the the card in the >About this Mac>System Report and I can see a external Screen connected to the card in >Displays

But now I´m running into the black screen problem. Before someone is saying "Do your Homework", I did...I´m trying different approaches for days now. Nothing helps. 

Odd though is when I install the Webdriver via script or alone from the Nvidia website, the card disappears and I ova etc sort all over again.

I tried Hotplug, that even doesn't do anything.

I tried plugin cold start...brings me to the point I see the card and all connected but black screen.

I run the purge-wrangler script. I believe that is the step why I even see the card.

I run purge-nvda my card disappears again.

Does anybody have any idea what else I can try to get the external screen running???????

I´m so close but still so far.

Any suggestion is Kindly appreciated....

My System again:

MacBook Pro 12,1

i5 2core Intel Processor 2,7Ghz

iGPU Intel 6100

8 GB Memory 

eGPU:

Akitio Thunder2 encloser

Apple Thunderbolt 2 cable 2m

Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 2047 MB graphics

cheers

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@christian_malejka_1, RX 550 is not supported on macOS by default. Simpler to just use 560 or newer.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Christian Malejka
(@christian_malejka)

@mac_editor, Thanks for your reply.....

As the Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 2047 MB graphics isn´t supported in Mac OS, i will try the card with Win10.

I build a similar rig in 2015 on a 2011 MacBook Pro, but didnt had much luck to start the MacBook with the GT 610 under Win8.1.

I hope with the development of Win10 and a different MacBook i will have luck.

Thanks again

ReplyQuote
TravisT1
(@travist1)

Hi guys,

I am new to eGPU and have read most of the beginners guide using purge-wrangler.sh 

My rig is an MBP mid 2015 15” and I got an Akitio Thunder 2 and bought an AMD RX 560.  MacOs is Catalina 10.5.6.

I tried patching using purge-wrangler.sh

it crashed the Macbook so I was wondering if this version of MacOS work or do I have to revert back to 10.15.1? I can revert back to it using Aura ProX2 enclosure (where the original SSD)

I use a Dell DA2 to power the graphics card while the Akitio Thunder 2 has its own 72w adaptor.

Please help, thanks in advance.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Christian Malejka
(@christian_malejka)

@travist1, Hi,

can you pls let me know your experience. I try atm almost the setup with a nvidia GT610 2GB on Mojave 10.14.6. But with no luck at all.

Maybe i have to go forward to Catalina.

Trying Win10 for now with Error 12 issue.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
firestarter451f
(@firestarter451f)

@Mac_editor

Purge-wrangler is preventing Big Sur Beta (public) to update to its latest version. I removed purge-wrangler via Uninstall, but still, Big Sur didn't update because of a "snapshot" related error (see below). As I understand from apple developers forum there are other reasons relating other software for the update not to happen.

As I mentioned in my previous post (August 8), to solve the neverending loading bar at startup I used this command line in terminal in recovery mode:

bless --folder /Volumes/<your macOS disk>/System/Library/CoreServices --bootefi --create-snapshot

MBP mid 2015 - High Sierra / Big Sur public beta - Razer Core X - Nvidia GTX1050Ti / Radeon RX5700XT

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@firestarter451f, Big Sur updates require being booted off an APFS snapshot. You can check the actual error message using the softwareupdate commands. I am already aware of the first-time-patch boot issue. You can read my previous posts which have mentioned updating the Preboot volume from recovery. I will investigate why it occurs in later beta stages/GM(s) of Big Sur as a lot of these mechanisms are still in-progress.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  176