Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] [SCRIPT] PurgeWrangler: AMD + NVIDIA eGPUs for all Thunderbolt Macs  

of  176
  RSS

firestarter451f
(@firestarter451f)

Posted by: @mac_editor

Big Sur updates require being booted off an APFS snapshot.

@mac_editor Please, can you explain? Thank you

MBP mid 2015 - High Sierra / Big Sur public beta - Razer Core X - Nvidia GTX1050Ti / Radeon RX5700XT

ReplyQuote
Sebastian Beckmann
(@gxalpha)

Ok so I don't know if this is this patch or Apples fault, but I seem to not be able to boot into Big Sur (advanced purge-wrangler) with my eGPU plugged in.

In my initial reboot after patching I applied the commands firestarter posted.

If I unplug the eGPU and then hot-plug after boot, everything runs as expected.

Personally I don't really care, just wanted to note that here.

Macbook Pro Late 2013 / Intel iGPU / TB2
External RX 580 / Aktio Thunder2
macOS 11 Big Sur Beta

ReplyQuote
psonice
(@psonice)
Estimable Member

Still working fine on macOS 11b7, after the usual recover mode / diskutil / bless dance. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Jeroenvankeulen
(@jeroen-van-keulen)
Trusted Member

It has been a while since we had news from the frontlines, @mac_editor. Is there any good news concerning the Big Sur/Purge Wrangler future?

MBP11,4, i7-4980HQ, 256gb SSD, 16gbRAM Cathalina (Sonnet Breakaway box 350 + Gigabyte Radeon RX 580 Gaming 8GB)
MacBook7,1 A1342, P8600 120gb SSD 4gbRAM. Mojave (Hiking/Camping)
iMac7,1 A1224, T9500 CPU upgrade 120gb SSD 4gbRAM. HS
Mac mini3,1 P7350, 250gb SSD 8gbRAM. HS (server) iPhone10,3 64gb. iOS12 iPad5,3, 16gb. iOS12 iPod shuffle 2nd gen. 2gb
✧✧

2015 15" MacBook Pro [4th,4C,H] + RX 580 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 350) + macOS 10.14 [build link]  

Netcho and jzfgs liked
ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@jeroen-van-keulen and everyone awaiting updates, here's the current state of things on macOS 11 so far:

• TB1/2 eGPU Support: works as expected, but some issues occur when running the script first-time (see @psonice's comment: "recovery mode / diskutil / bless dance"). However, I just made a code change that might have fixed the issue. Needs more testing.
  • Ti82 Support: The patch that worked for Catalina is not functional in Big Sur when I last checked. I still need to look into it, but ensuring TB1/2 support works properly (even on first-time use) comes first.
  • macOS Updates: Mounting the disk as writable can cause issues with macOS software update. The betas still need to iron out a lot of issues with this, so I am hoping these are resolved before public release.
  • New Recovery: The next version of the script will allow you to restore your system in case of failed boot via the Recovery partition using Time Machine system snapshots (even if you don't use it for backups) - no CLI needed. In recent macOS releases, the script's old recovery mechanism stopped working in Single User Mode because kernel caches could no longer be rebuilt there, so it was removed.

macOS 11 support will be available in script version v6.3.0 once most of the issues are ironed out. I will most likely release it alongside the gold master or public release of Big Sur. Advanced users (people will to take risk + well-versed with macOS mechanics) can try out Big Sur support already using the advanced handbook. Special thanks to everyone who took the plunge and have helped test Big Sur support so far - the feedback has been really valuable!

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

jzfgs, itsage, Netcho and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Consider making patches using Lilu? I am working on some iGPU patches in WhateverGreen to enable 5K SST on my 4K display connected to my Mac mini 2018. I haven't figured out how to make WhateverGreen + Lilu load before the graphics driver (probably Open Core kext injection would allow that), so I made changes to make the patches get applied in either case (whether WateverGreen + Lilu load before or after the graphics driver). Anyway, with this you don't need to worry about mounting Big Sur as writable. The patches are done in memory so that they are not permanent and can be controlled by boot-args or whatever. Usually a macOS update won't stop a patch from working if the code hasn't changed significantly.

Loading a new version of the WateverGreen + Lilu kexts seems to require that the version number is changed each time (incremented or decremented). I copy the extensions to /Library/Extensions. Then do kmutil load, the OS detects the changes and asks that I authorize it in the security preferences panel, then asks that I restart the computer after I do that.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

mac_editor and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@joevt, true, Lilu and other in-memory patching mechanisms are far more elegant. Patching would work across software updates seamlessly because the bits to flip have only ever changed once (10.15.1) - so the need to update kexts would be rare. Ti82 patch already has an in-memory patch on Github. Scripts are the lowest denominator for any semblance of automated patching - but given I already had a lot of groundwork in place, it was just easier to add vs. migrate. Most patches didn't change at all. Lilu was beyond me at the time I started this script - and now I don't have enough time to migrate. This script's days are numbered anyway - once macOS drops TB2 macs (ignoring unofficial ways to run macOS).

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
psonice
(@psonice)
Estimable Member

@mac_editor, Tested on b7 with the latest script. Detected GPU, rebooted, "just worked"! 🍾 Fantastic work! 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

Netcho and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@psonice, lovely. Thanks for testing. 

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@mac_editor, I updated my 2013 Mac Pro to latest Dev build tonight. Same experience as @psonice reported. First boot after Purge-Wrangler no longer hangs the system. My eGPU was working immediately through hot-plug. Amazing work as always!

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

Netcho and mac_editor liked
ReplyQuote
 of  176