Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] [SCRIPT] PurgeWrangler: AMD + NVIDIA eGPUs for all Thunderbolt Macs  

of  176
  RSS

mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@itsage, Thanks for the update! Good to know that's sorted.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

Netcho liked
ReplyQuote
bitnaut
(@bitnaut)

@mac_editor, Another data point, upgraded to Beta 7, ran the advanced script with Core X and Radeon 7 already hooked up to 6,1 Mac Pro...script detected GPU, ran its stuff, rebooted and just immediately worked after rebooting...no more Terminal voodoo required in Recovery! Yay!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Ed

Mac Pro 6,1 12 core with 64GB RAM, 2TB disk and dual D500 running latest MacOS Big Sur beta. Hooked to a Razer Core X with Radeon VII

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@bitnaut, sweet! Sounds like TB1/2 support is good to go then. 

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

Netcho and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Oscar J
(@oscar-j)

Hi everyone and thank you so much for the work you're doing. 

I've run this script before under High Sierra and everything used to work fine. I'm using an Atikio Thunder 2 box with a Gigabyte HD 7970 card. After upgrading to Mojave, the setup doesn't work well anymore. I'm using the latest script, I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the script and everything seems to install fine. After rebooting, my eGPU will show up for a few seconds, and then just suddenly disappear from the menu bar and system information. The fans on the eGPU are still spinning though. 

Any idea what might be causing this issue? 

Thank you!

Oscar

MacBook Pro 15" 2015 (Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB)
Atikio Thunder 2
Gigabyte HD 7970
Mac OS 10.15.6

ReplyQuote
Oscar J
(@oscar-j)

Posted by: @oscar-j

Hi everyone and thank you so much for the work you're doing. 

I've run this script before under High Sierra and everything used to work fine. I'm using an Atikio Thunder 2 box with a Gigabyte HD 7970 card. After upgrading to Mojave, the setup doesn't work well anymore. I'm using the latest script, I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the script and everything seems to install fine. After rebooting, my eGPU will show up for a few seconds, and then just suddenly disappear from the menu bar and system information. The fans on the eGPU are still spinning though. 

Any idea what might be causing this issue? 

Thank you!

Oscar

I'm not sure if it's related, but there's a lot of these kinds of messages in my log: "Driver "AMD7000Controller" needs "IOPCITunnelCompatible" key in plist". There's also a lot of errors (WindowServer) just when the display briefly blinks and the eGPU is subsequently ejected.

Atikio Thunder 2
Gigabyte HD 7970
Mac OS 10.15.6

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@oscar-j, I suppose you can try adding IOPCITunnelCompatible to the AMD7000Controller kext (make it similar to how it is in newer AMD graphics kexts). Patch it the same way as the script patches other kexts?

IOPCITunnelCompatible refers to Thunderbolt compatibility. If it's not Thunderbolt compatible then it might not be safe to sleep/wake the computer or to disconnect the device.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@joevt, Legacy support in the script already adds that key via codeless kext if GPU is not Ellesmere or newer. Would not have worked on High Sierra otherwise. @oscar-j - open an issue on GitHub with the necessary logs from the script.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
Oscar J
(@oscar-j)

@mac_editor, Thank you for the reply, I've opened an issue. 

Atikio Thunder 2
Gigabyte HD 7970
Mac OS 10.15.6

ReplyQuote
oberrz
(@oberrz)

macOS 11. 

Nvidia TB3 doesn't work ((

is there any solution so far to make it work?

>> PurgeWrangler (master)

1. Setup eGPU

2. System Status

3. Uninstall

4. More Options

5. Donate

6. Quit

>> Setup eGPU

Plug-in eGPU. Press ESC if you are not plugging in eGPU.

External GPU GeForce GTX 1070

GPU Arch GP104 

Thunderbolt 3

Backing up...

Backup refreshed.

Fetching driver information...

Information fetched.

No NVIDIA driver available for your system.

Patching for NVIDIA eGPUs...

Back to menu? [Y/N]: 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@oberrz, read the wiki/docs for the script. NVIDIA Maxwell or newer GPUs are not supported because there are no drivers for macOS 10.14+.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
 of  176