[SCRIPT] PurgeWrangler: AMD + NVIDIA eGPUs for all Thunderbolt Macs

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] [SCRIPT] PurgeWrangler: AMD + NVIDIA eGPUs for all Thunderbolt Macs  

of  176
  RSS

oberrz
(@oberrz)

Thank you. I've already realized, that's too sad..

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
bitnaut
(@bitnaut)

Updating to Big Sur Beta 8, PurgeWrangler works even better in that it detects an update has happened and asks you if you’d like to rerun the script to install again. Worked great!

One glaring bug I’ve found in Beta 8 where I run two monitors: one hooked up to my Mac Pro’s D500 and the other connected to my eGPU, is that I cannot point to a custom folder of photos for the desktop background setting in System Preferences on the monitor connected to the D500. Now I don’t know if this is due to Beta 8 or PurgeWrangler but this didn’t happen in Beta 7.

Mac Pro 6,1 12 core with 64GB RAM, 2TB disk and dual D500 running latest MacOS Big Sur beta. Hooked to a Razer Core X with Radeon VII

Netcho liked
ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@bitnaut, not related to script, and yes, I did fix the notification system for macOS 11.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

Netcho liked
ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Quick Update: I have enabled Ti82 support on macOS 11 as well (I think). I can't test whether it actually works because I do not have a Ti82 TB3 device - I'm just going off of what I am seeing/doing in the disassembler. Latest commit should have this for anyone who wishes to try. If all's well, we should be nearly good to go for 6.3.0.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
firestarter451f
(@firestarter451f)

Hello,

I've encoutered an issue that I don't if it is expected or not. I have to apfs volumes in the same HDD, one with high sierra and the other wid big sur beta 8. I've installed purge-wrangler in big sur and it worked flawlessly, but then I thought "ok, let's give it a try" and installed it on high sierra and it worked flawlessly as well, but... it completely broke big sur. I had to completly uninstall purge-wrangler from high sierra and completly install big sur again.

In big sur I've installed the experimental version to use the egpu with an rx5700xt. And then I've installed the current stable release in high sierra to use the egpu witn a gtx1050ti.

Is there a way around this?

Thank you

MBP mid 2015 - High Sierra / Big Sur public beta - Razer Core X - Nvidia GTX1050Ti / Radeon RX5700XT

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@firestarter451f, the script cannot affect things across macOS installs. The issue is more likely that after installing Big Sur, you booted a different OS (High Sierra) and then tried to boot back to Big Sur. I'm not sure how it works, but because Big Sur uses snapshots to boot, things probably went wrong when switching OSes. I have both Catalina and Big Sur patched on my test machine and after booting into Big Sur after having booted into Catalina, I found some oddities with retrieving the boot device via bless --getBoot (which also impacts the script). To solve the issue, I simply went to startup disk in Big Sur and selected the Big Sur disk again and pressed reboot, which re-blessed the disk correctly and all is well. So you probably needed to do the same. If you couldn't get into Big Sur at all, booting to its recovery would have allowed you to select startup disk and thus rebless. Hopefully things get better once Big Sur is out of beta.

Also, v6.3.0 for the script is available and supports macOS Big Sur (see update on first post).

Edit: one conjecture I have is that if one installs an older version of macOS after having installed Big Sur (like I did with Catalina), it can cause the aforementioned oddities. The fix is to rebless the Big Sur install as mentioned above.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

I did update the main post but in case you missed it, Big Sur support (script version 6.3.0) is available. 

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

Backstop5 and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
 of  176