[SCRIPT] PurgeWrangler: AMD + NVIDIA eGPUs for all Thunderbolt Macs

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] [SCRIPT] PurgeWrangler: AMD + NVIDIA eGPUs for all Thunderbolt Macs  

of  187
  RSS

Disco
(@disco)

Does purge wrangler need to be run prior to windows boot to overcome the issue with tb1 and tb3 not playing nice together, or is it solely to enable the egpu in OS X? 

Given a working copy of UEFI windows on a mid 2012 retina macbook pro, pre-egpu, that shows the igpu (intel 4000) and dgpu (nvidia 650M) both working, with large memory area, to use an epgu could I just disable the nvidia device in Windows, and plug and play an ePGU (e.g. Saturn+RX580) for Windows (with TB1->3 adapter cable), and then use purge wrangler for Max OSX (Catalina ) ?

MacBook Pro Mid 2012 retina: reviewing potential for eGPU.

ReplyQuote
Charles Chevy Fasano
(@charles_chevy_fasano)

I have a Thunderbolt 2 MacBook Pro 2015 15 inch running both macOS 10.13 and 10.15 and I had my eGPU Razer Core X with a GTX 980 Ti running fine in 10.13 but now neither OS can see the eGPU enclosure and neither can Windows 10 in Boot Camp.  All were fine at first.

This post was modified 11 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member

Yesterday I've tried to install Purge Wrangler on Mac mini 2011, I was super exited to see how much improvements it would bring to such an old machines... but sadly patch didn't work because the OS is already patched with Dosdude1 Catalina. No sense in downgrade anyway since 10.13 natively supported didn't have drivers for RX 5700 XT GPU I have! So pretty sad day LoL It would be cool if Dosdude1 can't fix this.

MacBook Pro 13" 2020 Touch Bar M1 8-core CPU 8-core GPU - 16GB unified memory - 512GB PCIe SSD
MacBook Pro 13" 2020 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.3Ghz - 16GB RAM - 1TB PCIe SSD

my awesome Radeon VII eGPU
my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Netcho
(@netcho)
Trusted Member

Hi All,

I am running into the issue that in order to install purge wrangler I have to disable SIP. Well for some very odd reason Big Sur did not install recovery on my local drive and now I had to wait for an hour to download it from the internet. I think it downloaded an older system recovery software. I did the csrutil disable and rebooted but that did not do the trick. So how do I get that SIP off?

MacBook Pro 2015 15” 2.5 GHz

2015 15" MacBook Pro (R9 M370X) [4th,4C,H] + RX Vega 56 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.14.4 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Popular_Estimate_279
(@popular_estimate_279)

@netcho, same here I installed Big Sur v11> and now I couldn’t csrutil authenticated-root disable . It seems like the recovery untilites is using a older version and the command is invalid. I could only do “csrutil disable”. 
someone please help!

using a MacBook Pro 2015 15 inch with razer Ci Vega 56

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Netcho
(@netcho)
Trusted Member

@popular_estimate_279, here is what I have achieved so far: 

1. To fix the Recovery issue I have re-download the installer again and made a USB HDD a boot disk. That way I was able to get into the Recovery console and disable SIP.

2. There is a second issue- authenticated root needs to be disabled too but in order to disable it the system says Disk Encryption needs to be off so right now I am waiting for FileVault to decrypt the whole disk.... 

This whole situation was not expected ... 

[Please login to see this]

2015 15" MacBook Pro (R9 M370X) [4th,4C,H] + RX Vega 56 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.14.4 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

As stated in the guide for the script, FileVault needs to be disabled (right under the authenticated-root section) for Big Sur. The terminology is “may have” because it was written while the OS was in beta and things weren’t crystal clear then. The doc will be updated to make this more clear soon.

Also note that there are better ways to build patches that can work with all this enabled, but they are more effort than just updating a script for compatibility for what remains a handful of thunderbolt 2 Macs officially supported (tldr; I don’t have too much time and incentive for this).

"Desultory reading is delightful, but to be beneficial, our reading must be carefully directed." — Seneca

Author: kryptonitepurge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance
Launching Apps on Specific (e)GPUs on macOS

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Netcho
(@netcho)
Trusted Member

@mac_editor, thanks, I saw about filevault also in your basic wiki page. Turning off FileVault is pain in the behind. Once done I hope the rest will run smooth. I will keep you posted.

Turning FileVault off and booting from my external os 11 disk to turn the SIP worked fine. Do you think turning back FileVault 2 on will cause any issues?

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@netcho, FileVault requires authenticated-root to be enabled, so it won’t work. As mentioned in the docs, you can’t re-enable it while using a patched system.

"Desultory reading is delightful, but to be beneficial, our reading must be carefully directed." — Seneca

Author: kryptonitepurge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance
Launching Apps on Specific (e)GPUs on macOS

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Netcho
(@netcho)
Trusted Member

@mac_editor, thanks

ReplyQuote
 of  187