Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] [SCRIPT] PurgeWrangler: AMD + NVIDIA eGPUs for all Thunderbolt Macs  

of  181
  RSS

Netcho
(@netcho)
Eminent Member

@joysthokkins, I get this error too. It happened after clearing NVRAM because of the Motion and FCP fiasco. After I reset the PRAM the computer was in a loop- chime, apple logo, restart. I ran Recovery from my USB drive and disabled SIP. That fixed the boot loop but now I get this in the terminal.

Can't access "efi-boot-device" NVRAM variable

Your system volume is read-only. PurgeWrangler cannot proceed.

Please restart your Mac and try again.

Can't access "efi-boot-device" NVRAM variable

Any comments?

MacBook Pro 2015 15” 2.5 GHz

2015 15" MacBook Pro (R9 M370X) [4th,4C,H] + RX Vega 56 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.14.4 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
fulltourq
(@fulltourq)

HI,

I have the exact same problems. After reseting NVRAM i get the same "Can't access "efi-boot-device" NVRAM variable".

Update:

I got it working . 

So first i went to recovery mode end re-enabled SIP and authenticated-root. 

Got the broken boot cycle again (as expected). I then did a reset of NVRAM. (this was after enabling the SIP and Auth.-root).

Went to recovery mode form Bootable Big Sur . Disabled SIP and auth.-root. Restared and voila , the script runs fine. 

Did everything with eGpu unplugged. Plugin it only when the script needed it.

Hope it helps.

This post was modified 2 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
elluko
(@elluko)

@mac_editor

Hey, thank you very much for the hard work. Is there any chance, that we will see purge-wrangler working with tb2 Macs without turning off filevault?

Macbook 15 2015 (Iris only) - Razer Core X- RX580

ReplyQuote
bitnaut
(@bitnaut)

So looks like purge-wrangler does not work with Big Sur 11.1 beta. I've been running fine all this time with my 6,1 Mac Pro, Razer Core X, and Radeon VII until today. 🙁

Got this instead when running the script:

"Patching for AMD eGPUs...

hexdump: /Volumes/Macintosh HD 1/System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGPUWrangler.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleGPUWrangler: No such file or directory

hexdump: /Volumes/Macintosh HD 1/System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGPUWrangler.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleGPUWrangler: Bad file descriptor

Unable to patch for TB1/2 AMD eGPUs.

Generating system log...

rsync: link_stat "/Volumes/Macintosh HD 1/Library/Application Support/Purge-Wrangler/Kexts/." failed: No such file or directory (2)

rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at /AppleInternal/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/rsync/rsync-55/rsync/main.c(996) [sender=2.6.9]

Executing: /usr/bin/kmutil showloaded

No variant specified, falling back to release

Log generated on the Desktop.

Open an issue on Github and share this file."

I've opened an issue on Github.

Mac Pro 6,1 12 core with 64GB RAM, 2TB disk and dual D500 running latest MacOS Big Sur beta. Hooked to a Razer Core X with Radeon VII

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Script version v6.3.3 is out - should fix read-only volume issues.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Guru Nightmare
(@gurunightmare)

Quick note to show purge-wrangler working fine on official release of Big Sur (and also Bootcamp).

MacResults
Sensei
Sensei2

On Mac, recommended apps: MacsFanControl, Sensei, f.luxSwitchResX and DaVinci Resolve 17.

BootcampResults

On Windows, I get 60fps on Call Of Duty (multiplayer) 1920x1080 High and 60fps (VSync) on Warframe 2560x1440 High. Initially, I used DDU and BootCampDrivers, now just the latest AMD drivers (20.11.2). Other titles I played with awesome results: Death Stranding, Horizon Zero Dawn, Journey, Tomb Raider, GTA V, No Man's Sky, etc.

Shoutout to @mac_editor!

Mac Mini Late 2014 + MSI Radeon RX580 Gaming X [email protected]>TB3 (AKiTiO Node)

2014 Mac Mini [4th,2C,U] + RX 580 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS 10.13 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@gurunightmare, purge-wrangler doesn't do anything for bootcamp, but good to see macOS working as expected.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
diamond HSN
(@diamond_hsn)

I just knew about eGPU and I have macbook pro ( Retina, 13-inch, early 2015 ) and it’s on macOS version 10.15.7.

I want to buy RX 570 with a housing like razer chroma ( the box that comes with a power supply) and TB2 to TB3 adapter ( because my macbook have TB2 only ).

Can i just plug it and play and the system will automatically recognize the External GPU ?

Thanx . 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Netcho
(@netcho)
Eminent Member

You will have to run the patch Purge-Wrangler. Very easy, go for it.

MacBook Pro 2015 15” 2.5 GHz

2015 15" MacBook Pro (R9 M370X) [4th,4C,H] + RX Vega 56 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.14.4 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
devtaylor
(@devtaylor)

@popular_estimate_279, any update on this? same issue here

ReplyQuote
 of  181