[SCRIPT] PurgeWrangler: AMD + NVIDIA eGPUs for all Thunderbolt Macs

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] [SCRIPT] PurgeWrangler: AMD + NVIDIA eGPUs for all Thunderbolt Macs  

of  180
  RSS

Ryland Cline
(@ryland_cline)

I was able to upgrade to Big Sur 11.01 flawlessly. I'm not a Windows Bootcamp user - at least not on this current computer, maybe in the future. As long as you follow the docs and wiki, you should have no problems installing it. Hopefully this will grant a level of assurance for those that have been reluctant to upgrade on older models. 

Macbook Pro 15" mid-2015 with Razer Core X using AMD Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX 580 8gb

ReplyQuote
JPL
 JPL
(@jpl)

I just noticed Purge Wrangler has been updated to work with Big Sur, so I've got a few questions...

I'm currently running High Sierra on a 2019 MacBook Pro, Wirth an Nvidia 1080ti in an Akitio Node Pro eGPU box, which works great for 3D design in C4D. The problem is I also use this laptop for Adobe Creative Cloud and I'm getting left behind with their apps.

I was wondering If I upgrade to the latest Big Sur build and run Purge Wrangler, will I still be able to use my 1080? Are there Nvidia drivers available that will work, or am I stuck on High Sierra for now?

Thanks.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Username
(@username)
Reputable Member

@jpl, unfortunately you are stuck on 10.13. 
So either look at leaving Adobe - which can be both financial and creative liberating - or you might want to look at a Radeon card.

Or perhaps take a peak at the new M1 or hold out for a while and see what the next version might bring to the graphics table. 

Present: 2012 Mac mini + PowerColor RX 56 Vega Nano @10Gbps-TB1 + PowerColor Mini eGFX 180F via Apple TB3 to TB2 + macOS Catalina 10.15.7

Previous: 2012 Mac Mini + GTX1070 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder3 via Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter) + macOS

2012 Mac Mini [3rd,4C,Q] + GTX 970 @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS 10.12.4 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
JPL
 JPL
(@jpl)

Posted by: @username

@jpl, unfortunately you are stuck on 10.13. 
So either look at leaving Adobe - which can be both financial and creative liberating - or you might want to look at a Radeon card.

Or perhaps take a peak at the new M1 or hold out for a while and see what the next version might bring to the graphics table. 

Yeah, thought so. Thanks.

My plan is to try and grab a 6800/6900xt when I can get hold of one. Hopefully that'll work with Big Sur, although I'm not sure if there are any drivers for it yet, so I might have to wait a while longer before upgrading.

Can I just ask, what is the point of Purge Wrangler working with Big Sur/Nvidia cards if there are no drivers available?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Fredman
(@fredman)

@jpl, Big Sur still supports Kepler Nvidia cards like my 780ti.  

This post was modified 2 days ago

MacBook Pro 2014 15” 750M + Sonnet breakaway box 550 + Nvidia GTX 780 Ti

2014 15" MacBook Pro (GT750M) [4th,4C,H] + GTX 780 Ti @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Rudolphez
(@rudolphez)

Hey, i was wondering if Purge-wrangler also updates drivers for your egpu and where i can update or check these ?  or do i need to reinstall to get them ?   

ReplyQuote
 of  180