[SCRIPT] PurgeWrangler: AMD + NVIDIA eGPUs for all Thunderbolt Macs

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] [SCRIPT] PurgeWrangler: AMD + NVIDIA eGPUs for all Thunderbolt Macs  

of  181
  RSS

bitnaut
(@bitnaut)

I can confirm 11.2 Beta works fine with the latest PurgeWrangler.

Mac Pro 6,1 12 core with 64GB RAM, 2TB disk and dual D500 running latest MacOS Big Sur beta. Hooked to a Razer Core X with Radeon VII

ReplyQuote
nelsonfeelscool
(@nelsonfeelscool)

Got a hand on rtx 3070, i wonder if the Purge works on these new cards, as for the web drive, should I use the newest drive for 3070? 

Thank you

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
bitnaut
(@bitnaut)

@nelsonfeelscool, Sorry but macOS hasn’t supported Nvidia cards in years. If you’re planning on using Windows, that’s about all you can use it for. PurgeWrangler isn’t going to help at all.

Mac Pro 6,1 12 core with 64GB RAM, 2TB disk and dual D500 running latest MacOS Big Sur beta. Hooked to a Razer Core X with Radeon VII

ReplyQuote
nelsonfeelscool
(@nelsonfeelscool)

@bitnaut, Gotcha, thanks

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Oscar J
(@oscar-j)

Hi again everyone and thanks for all that you do for this community. I posted a few months ago about not being able to get an old HD 7970 running well. I've since upgraded to a new GPU - a Gigabyte 5500 XT. That did the trick and it worked well for a while, but something's changed - I think it might have been when updating from Mojave to Catalina. Now the system crashes whenever I plug the eGPU in - no matter if I first install the Purge Wrangler (manually, according to the Beginner's Guide) or not. If I leave the eGPU plugged in I get stuck in a boot loop - the system repeatedly crashes before reaching the login screen. 

I'm running an Akitio Thunder2 setup, with a 500W PSU. 

Gigabyte 5500 XT 8GB eGPU

Macbook Pro 15-inch, Mid 2015 with AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB dGPU

MacOS 10.15.6

MacBook Pro 15" 2015 (Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB)
Atikio Thunder 2
Gigabyte Radeon RX 5500XT 8GB
Mac OS 10.15.6

ReplyQuote
Fredman
(@fredman)

@oscar-j, backup your data, make a fresh install of Catalina, and then use purge wrangler. That should do the trick.  

MacBook Pro 2014 15” 750M + Sonnet breakaway box 550 + Nvidia GTX 780 Ti

2014 15" MacBook Pro (GT750M) [4th,4C,H] + GTX 780 Ti @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Oscar J
(@oscar-j)

@fredman, Thank you very much for your reply. I might try that if I'm really sure that'll work. However I'm in the middle of my thesis project and would rather not go through that process if I can avoid it right now. 

MacBook Pro 15" 2015 (Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB)
Atikio Thunder 2
Gigabyte Radeon RX 5500XT 8GB
Mac OS 10.15.6

ReplyQuote
Marc Perry
(@marc_perry)

Hi everyone, 

for the first:

Thanks for the great instruction and software. This Page is a large help for my set up ideas. 

But, my Setup doesn't work. 

I have a Mac Book Pro 15 2015 with a Radeon R9 M390x (Big Sure 11.1) , a Razer Core X, and a Radeon R9 290x. Connectet with Thunderbolt 2 Cable and Original Apple Adapter.

With Windows 10 via Bootcamp no problem. 

In Big Sur i tried the Purge-Wrangler according to instructions. 
After reboot, with plugged cable, nothing.

If i plug the Thunderboltcable after reboot in the Macbook, the Screen is for a millisecond Black, after i see the Chip in the bar. If i grab the symbol < No external Card to Remove>. After 5 Seconds the Chip Symbol is disappeared. 

the following things i also tried: Amd Legacy Support Enable

T82 Enable

Reset Vram

User Log Off

I couldn't find anything adequate in the forum. Yes i know the R9 290x is very old.... 

What can i do ? 
Whats my next steps to realize this setup? 

Is a functionality withe a Radeon RX 580 guaranteed? 

I hope for help, thanks 🙂 

Have a good Weekend 😀

Marc (sorry for my bad English)

ReplyQuote
Georgios Lachanas
(@georgios_lachanas)

going to make a clean install of big sur...I uninstalled through terminal both purge wrangler and purge nvda, should I enable SIP prior to installing big sur?

MBP 15" with Nvidia 750m (mid2014) + Razer Core X +Apple TB3 adapter+Apple TB2 cable+Nvidia 1070Ti 8gb+LG Ultrawide Monitor via HDMI ,MACOS 10.13.6 (17G4015),Web drivers 387.10.10.10.40.113, Cuda version 410.130

ReplyQuote
 of  181