[SCRIPT] PurgeWrangler: AMD + NVIDIA eGPUs for all Thunderbolt Macs

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] [SCRIPT] PurgeWrangler: AMD + NVIDIA eGPUs for all Thunderbolt Macs  

of  184
  RSS

rainsipper
(@rainsipper)

Hi there, I wanted to add an egpu with my iMac late 2015 (Big Sur 11.2.3). Did lots of reading and bought Asus XG Station enclosure and a Sapphire Nitro+ RX5500XT card. I rebooted the iMac into recovery and disable system integrity protection with "csrutil authenticated-root disable". Confirm the status with "csrutil status" and everything went fine.

I rebooted the iMac back to normal and tried installing purge wrangler. After entering password in terminal the process stopped and I got "Please disable System Integrity Protection" message. I had it disabled already and I didn't really have a clue what was going on.

Could someone please give me a hand?

I also use the rig with my Macbook Pro 2018. Enabled Premiere with egpu but warp stabilizer didn't utilize any egpu. I could see a PID created under my Nitro+ but there was no activity. There wasn't even any "prefer egpu" option for FCPX. I felt defeated.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: @rainsipper

I rebooted the iMac into recovery and disable system integrity protection with "csrutil authenticated-root disable". Confirm the status with "csrutil status" and everything went fine.

Please share output of csrutil status and csrutil authenticated-root status commands.

Posted by: @rainsipper

There wasn't even any "prefer egpu" option for FCPX. I felt defeated.

See Final Cut Pro preferences: https://egpu.io/forums/pro-applications/final-cut-pro-finally-gets-new-metal-engine-and-gpu-selection/#post-66383

Author: kryptonitepurge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
nbrauer718
(@nbrauer718)

Mac Pro trash can Catalina 10.15.7

Sonnet eGPU Breakaway Puck AMD Radeon 5500xt

Wrangler script.

When I connect eGPU per instruction, script counts down from 16 to 14 before crashing.

eGPU plugged into port $5 or 6.

HDMI from eGPU to monitor.
Also tried running AMD Legacy support in Terminal, but I couldn't locate the file.

Is there an updated script I should run?
Is this eGPU incompatible with this Mac?

Thanks.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
keithblundy
(@keithblundy)

@mac_editor, Mac Pro 2013 6.1, MAC OS 11.4 - loads of issues with installing purge wrangler. Was fine on Catalina - did an upgrade which crashed Big Sur and had to reinstall. Now getting these issues reported about not being able to create or modify files:

Please help.

External GPU Radeon RX Vega 56/64

GPU Arch Vega 10 XL/XT 

Thunderbolt 2

Backing up...

mkdir: /System/Volumes/Update/mnt1/Library/Application Support/Purge-Wrangler/Kexts/: Operation not permitted

rsync: mkdir "/System/Volumes/Update/mnt1/Library/Application Support/Purge-Wrangler/Kexts" failed: No such file or directory (2)

rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at /System/Volumes/Data/SWE/macOS/BuildRoots/e90674e518/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/rsync/rsync-55/rsync/main.c(545) [receiver=2.6.9]

rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (8 bytes received so far) [sender]

rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at /System/Volumes/Data/SWE/macOS/BuildRoots/e90674e518/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/rsync/rsync-55/rsync/io.c(453) [sender=2.6.9]

rsync: mkdir "/System/Volumes/Update/mnt1/Library/Application Support/Purge-Wrangler/Kexts" failed: No such file or directory (2)

rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at /System/Volumes/Data/SWE/macOS/BuildRoots/e90674e518/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/rsync/rsync-55/rsync/main.c(545) [receiver=2.6.9]

rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at /System/Volumes/Data/SWE/macOS/BuildRoots/e90674e518/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/rsync/rsync-55/rsync/io.c(453) [sender=2.6.9]

mkdir: /System/Volumes/Update/mnt1/Library/Application Support/Purge-Wrangler/: Operation not permitted

purge-wrangler.sh: line 222: /System/Volumes/Update/mnt1/Library/Application Support/Purge-Wrangler/io.egpu.purge-wrangler.config.plist: No such file or directory

purge-wrangler.sh: line 223: /System/Volumes/Update/mnt1/Library/Application Support/Purge-Wrangler/io.egpu.purge-wrangler.config.plist: No such file or directory

Backup complete.

Patching for AMD eGPUs...

Patches applied.

Analyzing system...

No resolutions to any anomalies if present. See README.

mkdir: /System/Volumes/Update/mnt1/Library/Application Support/Purge-Wrangler/: Operation not permitted

purge-wrangler.sh: line 222: /System/Volumes/Update/mnt1/Library/Application Support/Purge-Wrangler/io.egpu.purge-wrangler.config.plist: No such file or directory

purge-wrangler.sh: line 223: /System/Volumes/Update/mnt1/Library/Application Support/Purge-Wrangler/io.egpu.purge-wrangler.config.plist: No such file or directory

Sanitizing system...

System sanitized.

shasum: /System/Volumes/Update/mnt1/Library/Application Support/Purge-Wrangler/pw.png: No such file or directory  

This post was modified 3 weeks ago

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@keithblundy, Most likely your system has either SIP, ART, or FileVault enabled. I was able to update my 6,1 to 11.4 through Remote Desktop and Purge-Wrangler prompted me to repatch. All went smoothly.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 Gigabyte Z490 Vision D [10th,8C,K] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
keithblundy
(@keithblundy)

@itsage, they are all disabled and checked using csrutil... Status for each. 

Should purge wrangler be setup in recovery mode maybe?

Keith

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@keithblundy, I always perform the Purge-Wrangler install/update in normal mode. Take a look at the Advanced Handbook to uninstall then do a clean install.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 Gigabyte Z490 Vision D [10th,8C,K] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
keithblundy
(@keithblundy)

@itsage, I tried that already but I will give it another go.

Many thanks

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: @keithblundy

/System/Volumes/Update/mnt1/

That looks odd to me. Seems like there is something different about your macOS environment that is causing the script to incorrectly infer the writable root volume for your booted system. The script is being tripped around here:

https://github.com/mayankk2308/purge-wrangler/blob/master/purge-wrangler.sh#L358

Oddly that volume is writable else the script would have exited.

Quick thing to try before moving on: Go to system preferences > Startup Disk > Select your boot volume from  there > click Restart. This should re-bless your actual boot volume. Then retry the script.

To diagnose the issue, I would need to see your disk topology and and run a few commands to figure out the issue, but from the looks of it, the script is receiving that weird path as your mount point for the writable root volume. Start with this command:

[Please login to see this]

This should give you your boot volume. Make sure this is correct.

Then see device node (should be something like /dev/disk1s6s1) in the output of:

Then do:

and share the output here.

Author: kryptonitepurge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
keithblundy
(@keithblundy)

@mac_editor

[keithblundy@Keiths-Pro-New ~ % echo "/Volumes/$(system_profiler SPSoftwareDataType | grep -i "Boot Volume" | cut -d':' -f2 | awk '{$1=$1};1')"

/Volumes/MAC SSD 2TB

keithblundy@Keiths-Pro-New ~ % diskutil info "/Volumes/MAC SSD 2TB"

Device Identifier:         disk1s2s1

Device Node:               /dev/disk1s2s1

Whole:                     No

Part of Whole:             disk1

Volume Name:               MAC SSD 2TB

Mounted:                   Yes

Mount Point:               /

Partition Type:            41504653-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC

File System Personality:   APFS

Type (Bundle):             apfs

Name (User Visible):       APFS

Owners:                    Enabled

OS Can Be Installed:       No

Booter Disk:               disk1s3

Recovery Disk:             disk1s4

Media Type:                Generic

Protocol:                  PCI-Express

SMART Status:              Verified

Volume UUID:               ACA5B41F-F8C5-4019-B0B7-56BB04FCDC62

Disk / Partition UUID:     ACA5B41F-F8C5-4019-B0B7-56BB04FCDC62

Disk Size:                 2.0 TB (2048198492160 Bytes) (exactly 4000387680 512-Byte-Units)

Device Block Size:         4096 Bytes

Container Total Space:     2.0 TB (2048198492160 Bytes) (exactly 4000387680 512-Byte-Units)

Container Free Space:      1.5 TB (1479151431680 Bytes) (exactly 2888967640 512-Byte-Units)

Allocation Block Size:     4096 Bytes

Media OS Use Only:         No

Media Read-Only:           Yes

Volume Read-Only:          Yes (read-only mount flag set)

Device Location:           Internal

Removable Media:           Fixed

Solid State:               Yes

Hardware AES Support:      No

This disk is an APFS Volume Snapshot.  APFS Information:

APFS Snapshot Name:        com.apple.bless.13C506B1-4EA2-476D-8F38-FDBFE74A0CA3

APFS Snapshot UUID:        ACA5B41F-F8C5-4019-B0B7-56BB04FCDC62

APFS Container:            disk1

APFS Physical Store:       disk0s2

Fusion Drive:              No

APFS Volume Group:         B7A5A983-D66B-4CF3-9BFC-44B589490142

EFI Driver In macOS:       1677120009000000

Encrypted:                 No

FileVault:                 No

Sealed:                    Broken

Locked:                    No

keithblundy@Keiths-Pro-New ~ %  diskutil info "/dev/disk1s2"

Device Identifier:         disk1s2

Device Node:               /dev/disk1s2

Whole:                     No

Part of Whole:             disk1

Volume Name:               MAC SSD 2TB

Mounted:                   No

Partition Type:            41504653-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC

File System Personality:   APFS

Type (Bundle):             apfs

Name (User Visible):       APFS

Owners:                    Disabled

OS Can Be Installed:       No

Booter Disk:               disk1s3

Recovery Disk:             disk1s4

Media Type:                Generic

Protocol:                  PCI-Express

SMART Status:              Verified

Volume UUID:               B4326F9A-E80A-40B1-BC9F-D560AB928F19

Disk / Partition UUID:     B4326F9A-E80A-40B1-BC9F-D560AB928F19

Disk Size:                 2.0 TB (2048198492160 Bytes) (exactly 4000387680 512-Byte-Units)

Device Block Size:         4096 Bytes

Container Total Space:     2.0 TB (2048198492160 Bytes) (exactly 4000387680 512-Byte-Units)

Container Free Space:      1.5 TB (1478615879680 Bytes) (exactly 2887921640 512-Byte-Units)

Media OS Use Only:         No

Media Read-Only:           No

Volume Read-Only:          Not applicable (not mounted)

Device Location:           Internal

Removable Media:           Fixed

Solid State:               Yes

Hardware AES Support:      No

This disk is an APFS Volume.  APFS Information:

APFS Container:            disk1

APFS Physical Store:       disk0s2

Fusion Drive:              No

APFS Volume Group:         B7A5A983-D66B-4CF3-9BFC-44B589490142

Encrypted:                 No

FileVault:                 No

Sealed:                    Broken

Locked:                    No

ReplyQuote
 of  184