[SCRIPT] PurgeWrangler: AMD + NVIDIA eGPUs for all Thunderbolt Macs

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] [SCRIPT] PurgeWrangler: AMD + NVIDIA eGPUs for all Thunderbolt Macs  

of  184
  RSS

keithblundy
(@keithblundy)

OK - so I did as suggested by @mac_editor thank you.

Then I posted the results as in my previous post.

I re ran purge-wrangler and was able to install things without an error.

However, the mac won't post to the chime on reboot after the chime and the apple logo appears - all is good.

Any suggestions? When I was running Catalina all was OK.

Keith

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: @keithblundy

However, the mac won't post to the chime on reboot after the chime and the apple logo appears - all is good.

Sorry, is there an issue or not? If it's a boot problem, are you booting with eGPU plugged in? If so, try without. Also note that Mac Pro is known to not boot when eGPU is plugged into some TB2 ports. Make sure it's the bottom 2 ports or for now just see if hot-plug works.

Author: kryptonitepurge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
keithblundy
(@keithblundy)

@mac_editor

It works with hot-plug 

The eGPU is in the bottom port - will try swapping around and see what happens.

Thank you for your help with this problem. 

Keith

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Piipperi800
(@piipperi800)
Eminent Member

Has anyone tested PurgeWrangler on macOS 12? Curious on will it work at all

MacBook Pro 15" Late 2013, Sonnet Breakaway Box 550, AMD RX 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@piipperi800, only early 2015 or later MBPs support macOS 12. Patch-wise it may work, I don’t have a compatible Mac to test (unless I can boot Monterey on my 2014, which I’m trying to).

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Riss
 Riss
(@riss)
Eminent Member

@mac_editor, sorry for slight OT - I'm also using mid 2014 MBP 15" with GT750. Monterey got rid of the last NVIDIA machine that was running Big Sur previously and I'd expect them to completely remove the outdated GPU driver from the OS. I'm running Mojave on my machine and not planning to go further (on contrary, thinking of going all the way back to Mavericks for offline work) but let us know if you get it work with graphics acceleration. 2015 has same CPU but different GPU and the TB2 circuitry, but I guess it's the AMD GPU that got this machine support for macOS 12.

Mac Pro 2013 8-core 2xD700 + Razr Core + Vega Frontier
mid 2014 MBP 15" GT750m + Akitio Thunder 2 + GTX Black Titan 6GB (stock)
Mac mini 2012 + Akitio Thunder 2 + GTX 780 3GB (flashed)

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@riss, I did get it working already: https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/kryptonite-tb1-2-mac-egpu-support-with-filevault-sip-and-art-enabled/paged/5/#post-96158

The NVIDIA drivers are still present in the first beta, but you're probably correct in saying they'll get rid of it by final release. However, I don't believe it should be too difficult to re-inject via OpenCore.

PurgeWrangler should do the job (for the eGPU part) since it uses the same patches, just requires SIP, ART, and FileVault disabled.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

PsyPryss liked
ReplyQuote
Riss
 Riss
(@riss)
Eminent Member

@mac_editor, I'll review the thread, haven't been here in a while. Glad to see it work!

Mac Pro 2013 8-core 2xD700 + Razr Core + Vega Frontier
mid 2014 MBP 15" GT750m + Akitio Thunder 2 + GTX Black Titan 6GB (stock)
Mac mini 2012 + Akitio Thunder 2 + GTX 780 3GB (flashed)

ReplyQuote
 of  184