[SCRIPT] PurgeWrangler: AMD + NVIDIA eGPUs for all Thunderbolt Macs

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] [SCRIPT] PurgeWrangler: AMD + NVIDIA eGPUs for all Thunderbolt Macs  

of  170
  RSS

Victorcan
(@victorcan)

Don’t get me wrong, I too love my cylinder, but I’m just pulling my hair with hard powering off and rolling the dice on a reboot? I am running 3 -4K  displays off this egpu maybe thata my issue.. ? I installed the latest security patch yesterday and it hasn’t come back since, gonna try the black screen fix today instead of another reinstall

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
TotallyClevrUsername
(@totallyclevrusername)

Posted by: Israel Bonilla
Posted by: mac_editor

Has anyone tried with tb1 Mac? Haven’t heard of a success yet and can’t test on my end.

Will try on my mac mini late 2012 once I get a TB cable.

My Sonnet RX580 dev box works fine with my 2012 tb1 mini using Apple's tb3->tb2 adapter and a tb2/1 cable (about $100 worth of dongles/cables...). There were a few ppl that posted success somewhere in the middle of this thread (or the original 10.13.4 thread), so I didn't bother adding my results at the time. Works well and sleep finally works again after it was broken for eGPU in High Sierra. I'm running dual 25" Dell 2.5K displays at 1440p.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Jeroenvankeulen
(@jeroen-van-keulen)
Trusted Member

Apple just released the new 10.13.5 beta 3 (17F59b)

As suspected, all works fine after running the script!

ALLn1
MBP11,4, i7-4980HQ, 256gb SSD, 16gbRAM Cathalina (Sonnet Breakaway box 350 + Gigabyte Radeon RX 580 Gaming 8GB)
MacBook7,1 A1342, P8600 120gb SSD 4gbRAM. Mojave (Hiking/Camping)
iMac7,1 A1224, T9500 CPU upgrade 120gb SSD 4gbRAM. HS
Mac mini3,1 P7350, 250gb SSD 8gbRAM. HS (server) iPhone10,3 64gb. iOS12 iPad5,3, 16gb. iOS12 iPod shuffle 2nd gen. 2gb
✧✧

2015 15" MacBook Pro [4th,4C,H] + RX 580 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 350) + macOS 10.14 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Victorcan
(@victorcan)

Posted by: artik

I'm also on the 10 core Mac Pro 2013. I have no problems with the stability but my Vega 64/Sonnet 550W is connected to the secondary monitor using bus 0 (lower tb2 ports). Unfortunately when connected to the main monitor I get serious judder while playing back the video in FCPX and regular QuickTime and the Vega usage is quite low in general so the performance gain is very limited. I'm not (yet) planning hackintosh. I still like my cylinder.

So you keep the HDMI active as well? I am not using the onboard graphics at all, I am using just the 3 display ports on the Vega. I tried plugging in the HDMI as well and Im able to reboot ok? But the screen is only 30hz refresh which kinda blows but if thats what I have to do to keep it alive guess thats the  sacrifice 🙁 I seen a way to disable the board graft but looks like it could lead to bricking the Mac ? so Im hesitant to do it

ReplyQuote
PalPhotography
(@palphotography)

Hello Everyone :).  mac_editor Thank you so much for your script.  My Magma ExpressBox 3T-V3 + Asus RX580 8GB working on my iMac 27 late 2015 I'm using Apple's tb3->tb2 adapter and a tb2/1 cable OSX 10.13.4. I do not recommend this Magma for eGPU it's not supporting on my MacBook Pro 2016 over TB3. regardless I was wondering if I can manually open EFI because the auto script is not working on my MacBook because technically its suppose to work without.  but the Magma enclosure is not.   
Any help will be great thank you Smile

Magma
https://www.onestopsystems.com/product/expressbox-3t-v3

Asus RX 580 8GB
https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/DUAL-RX580-O8G/

ReplyQuote
Israel Bonilla
(@israel_bonilla)

Posted by: TotallyClevrUsername
Posted by: mac_editor

Has anyone tried with tb1 Mac? Haven’t heard of a success yet and can’t test on my end.

Will try on my mac mini late 2012 once I get a TB cable.

My Sonnet RX580 dev box works fine with my 2012 tb1 mini using Apple's tb3->tb2 adapter and a tb2/1 cable (about $100 worth of dongles/cables...). There were a few ppl that posted success somewhere in the middle of this thread (or the original 10.13.4 thread), so I didn't bother adding my results at the time. Works well and sleep finally works again after it was broken for eGPU in High Sierra. I'm running dual 25" Dell 2.5K displays at 1440p.

I got it working too, with a Radeon rx580 8Gb. But when I use premiere pro cc 2017, it crashes when I try to use Open CL. Any Idea about this?

ReplyQuote
Halbertus
(@halbertus)
Eminent Member

I got it working too, with a Radeon rx580 8Gb. But when I use premiere pro cc 2017, it crashes when I try to use Open CL. Any Idea about this?

Running into the same problem while connected to nMP and rMBP Mid 2015.
Seems to be an issue with how Premiere Pro is handling eGPU

MacBook Pro 15" Mid 2015 w/ AMD Radeon R9 M370X
Mac Pro 2013 D300 + ASUS XG Station Pro + ASUS ROG VEGA 56
[email protected] Dell UP2715K

2015 15" MacBook Pro (R9 M370X) [4th,4C,H] + GTX 980 @ 16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.11 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
techyowl
(@techyowl)
Eminent Member

Just a heads up that my last update regarding sleep wake failures when using an eGPU being resolved by changing pmset values to turn off hibernation, standby and autopoweroff I apparently found out file vault also needs to be disabled for wakes to occur without crashes. I tried turning it back on and it wouldn't wake like it had been doing in the past.

early-2015 13" MBP Retina + RX580@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter)

ReplyQuote
Wesley
(@wesley)

Stuck on step one, lol. 
I went to recovery mode terminal and entered what you have but it says “-bash: $: command not found”  Cry

Late 2011 15" MBP - Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming Box - 10.13.4

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: Wesley

Stuck on step one, lol. 
I went to recovery mode terminal and entered what you have but it says “-bash: $: command not found”  Cry

You don't have to type in the sign and the space next to it. It's just convention to represent start of prompt.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

Wesley liked
ReplyQuote
 of  170