Setup & Software Discussions
[SCRIPT] PurgeWrangler: AMD + NVIDIA eGPUs for all Thunderbolt Macs

[Solved] [SCRIPT] PurgeWrangler: AMD + NVIDIA eGPUs for all Thunderbolt Macs  

of  43
  RSS

joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

Default shell in Catalina is zsh now instead of bash. Have the scripts been tested with zsh?

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@joevt

@itsage and many others have been using the script with no issues. Additionally, a script executes using the shell specified in its shebang line. In this case, it is bash, which will still be present at least on Catalina. I will migrate the script over to zsh if needed before next major macOS update.

purge-wranglerpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Okay folks, so I have some good news! I shared a new patch (script version 6.0.3) with @itsage for macOS 10.15.1 beta, and this again enables Thunderbolt 1/2 eGPU support. However, I will wait for the final build of 10.15.1 before releasing this patch.

Why am I not releasing this now?
By nature, this new patch is more volatile, meaning it has a higher chance of breaking than the previous patch. Given that we are only at macOS 10.15.1 Beta 1 at this point, it is possible for there to be more changes in the upcoming betas that would break this new patch as well. Hence it is prudent to let Apple play it's cards with macOS 10.15.1 before releasing a new patch.

Oct 29, 2019: Apple released macOS 10.15.1. I don’t have my Mac (in repair) so will release an updated script as soon as I get it back. I need to make some changes to the script to incorporate more things too.

This post was modified 1 month ago

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@mac_editor Thank you for the quick work! Excellent plan waiting it out for 10.15.1 public version to release 6.0.3.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
wonder29
(@wonder29)

iMac 27 (2017 5K) NVIDIA setup problem: I followed the instructions, but it doesn't detect NVIDIA Rx2080 gpu. purge-wrangler script output:

>> Setup eGPU

Plug-in eGPU. Press ESC if you are not plugging in eGPU.

External GPU GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER

GPU Arch TU104 

Thunderbolt 3

Ti82 Enclosure No

Backing up...

Backup refreshed.

Fetching driver information...

Information fetched.

Downloading drivers (387.10.10.10.40.131)...

######################################################################## 100.0%

Download complete.

Sanitizing package...

Package sanitized.

Installing...

Installation complete.

Patching for NVIDIA eGPUs...

Patches applied.

Detecting anomalies...

Detected System GPUs:

Radeon Pro 570

Problem     Black screens/slow performance with eGPU.

Resolution  Use `pmset -a gpuswitch 0` to force iGPU.

Sanitizing system...

System sanitized.

Modifications complete.

Reboot to apply changes.

Reboot Now? [Y/N]: 

I think it detects some anomalies and reset to original status.

This post was modified 2 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@wonder29

Even though the script attempts to patch for the RTX GPU, it is not supported by the last NVIDIA Web Drivers. The last supported configuration was Pascal GPUs on High Sierra. 

ReplyQuote
kosmos1999
(@kosmos1999)

How to completely remove purge-wrangler from a Mac?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@kosmos1999

Uninstall all patches. Ensure your system boots and functions fine. Remove script from /usr/local/bin. Delete script directory from /Library/Application Support/.

ReplyQuote
Jeroenvankeulen
(@jeroen-van-keulen)
Trusted Member

@mac_editor any issues known with the 10.15 supplemental update?

I would guess not, but just to be sure....

ALLn1
MBP11,4, i7-4980HQ, 256gb SSD, 16gbRAM Mojave (Sonnet Breakaway box 350 + Gigabyte Radeon RX 580 Gaming 8GB)
MacBook7,1 A1342, P8600 120gb SSD 4gbRAM. Mojave (Hiking/Camping)
iMac7,1 A1224, T9500 CPU upgrade 120gb SSD 4gbRAM. HS
Mac mini3,1 P7350, 250gb SSD 8gbRAM. HS (server) iPhone10,3 64gb. iOS12 iPad5,3, 16gb. iOS12 iPod shuffle 2nd gen. 2gb
✧✧

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@jeroen-van-keulen

I’m not sure as I did not test this build. I would not expect changes but can’t say for sure unless someone tests it. 

ReplyQuote
Kai the Film Geek
(@kai-the-film-geek)

@mac_editor

Any chance of being allowed to test this? 

If not that’s cool... 😉

Mac Mini 2018, 3.2 GHz 6-Core Core i7, 32 GB RAM, dual eGPU RX470 8GB, Sonnet 350, Razer Core V1, Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K.

MacBook Pro 2017, 2.9Gh 4-Core Core i7, 16 GB RAM, Radeon Pro 560, 4 GB VRAM

iPad Pro 2018 with Apple Pencil 2

ReplyQuote
Jeroenvankeulen
(@jeroen-van-keulen)
Trusted Member

@kai-the-film-geek

If you're revering to the supplemental update, I did test it today, successfully!

No worries about the supplemental update for 10.15

You do however need to uninstall and reinstall purge wrangler fully.

ALLn1
MBP11,4, i7-4980HQ, 256gb SSD, 16gbRAM Mojave (Sonnet Breakaway box 350 + Gigabyte Radeon RX 580 Gaming 8GB)
Mac mini3,1 P7350, 250gb SSD 8gbRAM. HS (server) iPhone10,3 64gb. iOS12 iPad5,3, 16gb. iOS12 iPod shuffle 2nd gen. 2gb
✧✧

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: @jeroen-van-keulen

You do however need to uninstall and reinstall purge wrangler fully.

Why is this needed? Updates disable patches anyway. The script would notify you on update. 

ReplyQuote
Jeroenvankeulen
(@jeroen-van-keulen)
Trusted Member

@mac_editor

Don't know, after installing the update it first was no problem on the first boot, but on the next boot, it gave me the prompt message the system had been changed. When wanting to repatch Purge told me to fully re-install purge wrangler.

ALLn1
✧✧

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@jeroen-van-keulen

Not sure why you didn’t see the notification after first boot but if you didn’t patch on first boot then script notification worked as intended. The notification says that you have to reinstall the patches is all - pressing Yes would just run the eGPU setup routine in the script.

Edit: thanks for testing supplemental update!

ReplyQuote
Kai the Film Geek
(@kai-the-film-geek)

@jeroen-van-keulen

Was referring to version 6.0.3 of purge-wrangler and the latest beta...but that would be applied afterwards...😉 thanks.

Mac Mini 2018, 3.2 GHz 6-Core Core i7, 32 GB RAM, dual eGPU RX470 8GB, Sonnet 350, Razer Core V1, Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@kai-the-film-geek

Your signature does not have a TB1 or 2 device though? What would you test with?

Anyway, there is no rush to test as we probably have a few more betas to go where things might change. At the same time, I am adding some more enhancements to the script before the next release. If you have a TB1 Mac, do let me know - I might reach out to you for testing.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@mac_editor

Totally forget, I have a TB1 Mac... 650m equipped 15inch, which IIRC are quite problematic? Mrs. Eightarmedpet uses it for Netflix so nothing mission critical and happy to test anything for ya.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
Kai the Film Geek
(@kai-the-film-geek)

@mac_editor

Apologies....I’ve misread....I thought there was a problem with Ti82 enclosures...doh ....😁

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@kai-the-film-geek

Fortunately Ti82 is fine at this time even on the beta.

@eightarmedpet

Appreciate the offer to test! Yes that is a problematic Mac if you use an external monitor over eGPU. Otherwise it should be fine. I'll send over an updated script when possible sometime next week.

ReplyQuote
Kai the Film Geek
(@kai-the-film-geek)

It is indeed...I’ve updated to 10.5.1 and everything seems great...didn’t even need to unplug the Razer V1 ...was active after start up....so thanks....

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

New TB1/2 patch seems to apply fine on macOS 10.15.1 Beta 2 [19B77a]. @itsage pls let me know how it goes on your system.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Posted by: @mac_editor

New TB1/2 patch seems to apply fine on macOS 10.15.1 Beta 2 [19B77a]. @itsage pls let me know how it goes on your system.

Thank you! I will check later this evening. Is this regarding the current release of purge-wrangler or the unreleased script we’re testing?

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@itsage

Unreleased. The current release won’t work. Also, try with a Navi GPU ;p

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@mac_editor I tested your unreleased 6.0.3 and it worked great! As soon as 10.15.1 Dev Beta 2 completed, the script prompted me to re-apply the patch. I entered password to proceed and chose Y to external monitor output then Restart. I checked just now with both Radeon VII and RX 5700 eGPU. 

ReplyQuote
PascalB
(@pascalb)

@mac_editor

I've updated to 10.15.1 Dev Beta 2 and I can test 6.0.3 with TB1/TB2 attachements if you agree 😉

Otherwise I will test when it is released (end the month I guess ?), no problem.

I've read your guide and technical notes but I'm still facing a black screen.

My config :

• iMac 27" i7 - mid 2013 with 2 TB1 ports
    • Discrete card : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4 Go
    • TB1 Port 1 : eGPU : Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 650 OC + Gibabyte Radeon VII
    • TB1 Port 2 : Akitio Thunder3 RAID Station + Akitio Thunder D3 with SSD inside
    • External display (NEC Spectraview 27" PW272W connected to one of the three eGPU display ports
    • 3 x Apple TB3 -> TB2/TB1 converters :
  • MacOS Mojave 10.14.6

SID disabled , I'm applying purge-wrangler.sh with following parameters :

• Ti82 Devices Disabled
  • TB1/2 AMD eGPUs Enabled
  • Legacy AMD eGPUs Enabled
  • NVIDIA eGPUs Disabled
  • Web Drivers Absent

However after the install when I boot the system is freezing after the spining wheel appeared. If I switch of the eGFX then system is loading well.

Then I've ran purge-nvda.sh script next to the recommendation from purge-wrangler diagnostic option, which identified both dGPU and eGPU :

• AMD Fix Enabled
  • NVDA eGPU Optimization Disabled
  • NVDA Suppression Disabled
  • Mux Last Intent Integrated

The Mux Last Intent state refers to what the script intended last
time, and not necessarily whether the script succeeded or not,
as the actual mux value is "consumed" and cannot be tracked.
By default, the intent is Discrete.

After rebooting, the dGPU is then disabled, however :

• I still can't boot with eGFX + eGPU switched on
  • Even if the eGU is recognized (I can also very its activity) once I switch it on before logging, I'm still getting a black screen on my external display (which stays in eco mode)

I've played with some other parameters and the best case was when the external display was connected on the Akitio Thunder 3 RAID Station

If I connect on TB3 the eGFX on my MB Pro 15" 2018, all works fine and is recognized OOTB

Any clue maybe ? I plan to upgrade to Catalina but not before 10.15.1 is released.

Thanks in advance

Pascal

iMac 27" i7 - mid 2013 (dGPU : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4 Go) with 2 TB1 ports - TB1 Port #2 : eGPU : Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 650 OC + Gibabyte Radeon VII - TB1 Port #1 : Akitio Thunder3 RAID Station + Akitio Thunder D3 with SSD inside - External display (NEC Spectraview 27" PW272W connected to Atikio Thunder3 RAID Station Display port (direct connection to eGPU Display port is not supported : black screen)

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@pascalb

There is a bug in purge-wrangler system diagnosis related to desktop Macs, so in this scenario you don’t need purge-nvda at all. Uninstall everything and just try with purge-wrangler. Share screenshots of System report > Displays with eGPU connected after rebooting.

Edit: I misread your config. At this time there is no way to solve your black screen issue on your system. The only option is to connect your monitor to the iMac directly. See purge-wrangler GitHub document’s hardware chart. Also this not the right place to post. I've moved the posts.

ReplyQuote
PascalB
(@pascalb)

@mac_editor

Thanks for your quick reply. Any chance this can change ?

Sorry for not posting the right place. Please feel free to move my post to the right discussion (if possible).

iMac 27" i7 - mid 2013 (dGPU : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4 Go) with 2 TB1 ports - TB1 Port #2 : eGPU : Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 650 OC + Gibabyte Radeon VII - TB1 Port #1 : Akitio Thunder3 RAID Station + Akitio Thunder D3 with SSD inside - External display (NEC Spectraview 27" PW272W connected to Atikio Thunder3 RAID Station Display port (direct connection to eGPU Display port is not supported : black screen)

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@pascalb

Posted by: @pascalb

Thanks for your quick reply. Any chance this can change ?

Sadly not.

I've updated to 10.15.1 Dev Beta 2 and I can test 6.0.3 with TB1/TB2 attachements if you agree 😉

Sure, I can send you a copy. But I advise precaution - while I don't anticipate anything bad, always have a backup ready and be up to speed with script recovery mechanism. Black screen for display over eGPU will still likely be an issue.

Edit: Sent. Check your messages.

ReplyQuote
PascalB
(@pascalb)

@mac_editor

Hey, finally it was a great idea to test 6.0.3 (thanks a lot !) as this time I could boot without freezing after applying purge-wrangler.sh with external screen connected on Atakio Thunder 3 RAID Station Display port.

Well, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M is still detected as the integrated GPU for both screens and AMD Radeon VII as an eGPU, which is not optimal but for all applications/games which are able to manage an eGPU (for instance, GeekBench 5.0, Unreal Tournament 😉 ) it works fine on my iMac 27"-mid 2013 with 2 TB1 ports under catalina 10.15.1 Dev Beta 2. I've also used set-eGPU.sh to maximize the chance to use the eGPU.

One interesting thing to notice is that an application such as Adobe Lightroom Classic, which is supposed to better use the GPU in its latest version, doesn't seem to detect the eGPU but only the dGPU ... Same for Unigine Heaven.

All this to say that I wish eGPU to be more widely (automatically) supported (detected) in the next future.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

One interesting thing to notice is that an application such as Adobe Lightroom Classic, which is supposed to better use the GPU in its latest version, doesn't seem to detect the eGPU but only the dGPU ... Same for Unigine Heaven.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208544 to set app preferences manually if required. Could you share screenshot of script execution? Need to see if all components worked as intended (even if patch was successful). 

ReplyQuote
PascalB
(@pascalb)

I guess I need to uninstall and reinstall, correct ?

However, the difference I've noticed with the previous version is after you answer Y to this question :

"Will you be using an external monitor? [Y/N]: Y

Detected System GPUs:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M
Radeon VII

No resolutions to any anomalies if present."

Thanks for the link, I've read it previously and, if I'm not wrong, "set-eGPU.sh" script is a kind of "industrialization" of the Prefer External GPU option. However, even with this option set, Adobe Lightroom Classic still doesn't see / use the eGPU (only the dGPU)

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@pascalb

Yes uninstall and reinstall.

No resolutions to any anomalies if present.

That's the correct output for system diagnosis - since there is no resolution to black screen problem on your system (iMac with NVIDIA GPU). Previous version of script was giving feedback thinking the system was a MacBook with Intel GPU available.

Thanks for the link, I've read it previously and, if I'm not wrong, " set-eGPU.sh " script is a kind of "industrialization" of the Prefer External GPU option. However, even with this option set, Adobe Lightroom Classic still doesn't see / use the eGPU

Yep, set-eGPU is indeed an automation of that, however, some users have faced problems with it not working - though whenever I test it works fine - just have to ensure all permissions for Terminal that it asks for are correctly set.

PascalB liked
ReplyQuote
PascalB
(@pascalb)

Yes uninstall and reinstall

I'll do that and post the whole output.

That's the correct output for system diagnosis - since there is no resolution to black screen problem on your system (iMac with NVIDIA GPU). Previous version of script was giving feedback thinking the system was a MacBook with Intel GPU available.

That was my understanding 😉 MacBook and iMac too, no ?

Yep, set-eGPU is indeed an automation of that, however, some users have faced problems with it not working - though whenever I test it works fine - just have to ensure all permissions for Terminal that it asks for are correctly set.

Ok, thanks for this detail !

ReplyQuote
PascalB
(@pascalb)

So, my bad, you were right I applied set-eGPU.sh script and didn't check if the application was correct ... and actually it wasn't (due to the reasons you mentionned I guess).

So once the Prefer External GPU option is set manually, Adobe Lightroom Classic detects the eGPU and used correctly. Even with my "non optimal" configuration, the improvement is visible so that's really great, as this was mainly the reason why I bought an eGPU (before eventually upgrade to an iMac Pro). So, I'll postpone my upgrade, waiting for the good moment 😉

Thank you again.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@pascalb

That was my understanding 😉 MacBook and iMac too, no ?

Thunderbolt MacBooks with Nvidia GPUs also have Intel GPUs (so dual internal GPU with muxing capability - which desktop Macs don't have), so purge-nvda works for those systems.

Good to hear Lightroom working as needed for you now.

PascalB liked
ReplyQuote
 of  43