Severe stability issues with 15" 2017 MB...

Severe stability issues with 15" 2017 MBP / Razer Core X / Gigabyte RX 580 8G  

RSS

Pechente
(@pechente)
Jan 27, 2019 1:47 pm  

Hey! I just got into eGPUs and my first experiences so far have been pretty bad.

My eGPU setup has been extremely unreliable. These are my specs:

- 15" 2017 MacBook Pro
- Razer Core X
- Gigabyte RX 580 8G

Usually when I plug in my eGPU the system freezes. I can still move my cursor around but clicking anywhere won't do anything. Sometimes I'm lucky and the eGPU will connect properly. In that case freezes might occur at a later point in time - seemingly randomly.

Steps I've taken so far:
- Reset NVRAM + PRAM
- Reinstall macOS and not restore from TimeMachine
- create a new user account and see if the error persists (it does)
- try different cables (I've got an active 2 m cable from LG and a passive 0.5 m cable from Razer. Issues persist with both cables)

I've used this graphics card in a hackintosh before and had similar freezing issues. The card did run fine with Linux and Windows though, so there might just be compatibility issues with macOS in general.

Is anyone using the Gigabyte RX 580 8G without any problems? If anyone made similar experiences, I will replace this card.

This topic was modified 5 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Pechente
(@pechente)
Jan 28, 2019 3:07 pm  

Ok small update. I just installed Windows and had a freeze similar to the ones I observed on macOS if I got the card to boot at all. So, I guess the graphics card is defective.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Pechente liked
ReplyQuote