Stalled boot after authentication: 2019 MBP, Razer Core X, 5700 XT

Notifications
Clear all

Stalled boot after authentication: 2019 MBP, Razer Core X, 5700 XT  

RSS

dutchiedonut
(@dutchiedonut)

Hello egpu.io!

I have an odd issue with my eGPU. Sometimes, but not all the time, computer boots to the user selection screen, I authenticate, and then there is no progress bar. The only way to solve this problem is by either booting with the GPU unplugged, or performing a NVram reset. Then it boots fine. I’m perplexed. 

Any help is appreciated. Otherwise this setup works well.

My Setup:

- 2019 16” MBP, macOS 10.15.5, Filevault2

- Razer Core X Chroma, Sapphire 5700XT Nitro+

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Arshit Singh
(@arshit_singh)

@dutchiedonut, I have a similar issue but not quite the same thing. I use the same enclosure and same GPU but when I start my mbp by plugging in the TB3 cable, I get stuck on the Apple logo. The only way around this is by unplugging the cable, login without the cable and then hot plug the eGPU. It was not an issue for me when I used XFX ThiccIII 5700xt

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
dutchiedonut
(@dutchiedonut)

@arshit_singh, ok that’s interesting. So it’s card specific. I’ve tried switching the BIOS mode on my card to see if it results in a difference and I’ll report back.

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
dutchiedonut
(@dutchiedonut)

@arshit_singh, I tried the other BIOS setting that is non-software specific for the Sapphire Nitro+ which is the "Silent BIOS" mode, which didn't resolve the issue and actually seemed laggy and worse.

FWIW, Sapphire Nitro+ BIOS

https://www.bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/graphics/sapphire-radeon-rx-5700-xt-nitro-review/1/

No solution yet except either gamble it doesn't hang on reboot or hot plug.

ReplyQuote
dutchiedonut
(@dutchiedonut)

Hello,

So after engaging with Razer support, they asked me to do a very sensible thing: try it with another machine.

So, of course, I tried it with a 2017 13" MacBook Pro with Catalina 10.15.6 and Filevault2, and of course IT WORKED FINE, no boot problems.

So, I engaged Apple Support on the advice of Razer. Apple's all like "Reinstall". So I did that. No difference. Then I did a nuke and pave (install a fresh OS with brand new user profiles) with a new OS on an external drive with Filevault2 (I had to enable this in Recovery) and of course IT WORKED.

So, then I went about installing some of my drivers and things, and discovered that the Drobo Dashboard caused the no boot issue. I can install and uninstall the Drobo Dashboard on this external boot volume and it replicates the issue with no booting. Uninstall, and then it boots fine. Of course, I try to uninstall the drivers on my original system to "fix" the problem, annnnnnnd, it's still there. So there must be another driver or something causing the issue.

I guess my advice to anyone with this issue is to:

1. Nuke and Pave on an external drive.

2. Install one software package at a time and reboot to determine which one causes the issue.

Wakanda forever.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Honorable Member

@dutchiedonut

What Drobo devices are attached to your MBP?

Are they also attached via TB3?

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX 5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.6 Catalina / Windows 2004 😏 / Dual LG 27" 4K displays

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

If the Drobo has an installer pkg, the Installer.app should let you get a list of file paths so you can find all the files that were installed to make sure they were removed. But you said a regular uninstall worked on the fresh install so this is a mystery. Did you rebuild the kernel cache? Try booting with verbose mode? check the logs?

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
dutchiedonut
(@dutchiedonut)

@mini-i5, Drobo Mini via TB2 adapter. It actually doesn't matter whether the device is attached or not. It's the driver itself. 😉

ReplyQuote
dutchiedonut
(@dutchiedonut)

@joevt, So, good thought. I booted in verbose mode, and it gets stuck at a "Prelinkedkernel/immuteablekernel". Not certain how to take it from there. I rebuilt kernel caches and no, it doesn't fix the issue.

Screen Shot 2020 08 31 at 9.03.18 PM

ReplyQuote