Clear all

State of eGPU for Macs – Mojave 10.14 Update  

of  14
  RSS

Chippy McChipset
(@chippy-mcchipset)
Reputable Member

Posted by: @ed_co

Can we update this guide with the Radeon VII right now? Or is still not supported OOTB? I thought it was fully supported and OOTB as per barefeats comments being the most powerful graphics card in MacOS currently...
Thanks

I am not part of the test team here but I do a lot of testing in general and can tell you starting at 10.14.5 we encountered no problems running the Radeon VII on compatible TB3 MacBook Pros with the Sonnet / OWC boxes. Prior to that I had to modify the kext file identifiers to recognize the card.

That said Apple never updated their eGPU page to include this card, and my guess for the reason is, there is a bug with this configuration where if you sleep the system (Mac or PC - so this is not a Mac thing), the fan in the eGPU spins up to full RPM. Not sure why this happens or who has to fix it but my guess is it's a problem that would have to be resolved in the card's firmware...

...and that's not likely because the card is pretty much EOL / not going to be manufactured much longer, with the new 5700 series cards being released this month. This card sort of a strange scenario. Probably won't get much love from anyone going forward.

This post was modified 2 years ago

Bring peace to your computing life: stop trying to understand Apple.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@chippy-mcchipset The full RPM fans in suspended mode is due to the Radeon VII board design. It was an oversight and AMD has to come up with a fix. I observed this same behavior in many setups including different enclosures, laptops, desktops, and operating systems. Specifically the culprit has to do with the Radeon VII not able to receive GPIO signal from the enclosure's USB-C controller [TI65983].

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Chippy McChipset
(@chippy-mcchipset)
Reputable Member

@itsage

Good info / thanks. Not surprising; I heard from other people who had the same problem I did, so I assumed it was not specific to any one eGPU family. Makes complete sense this is an issue onboard the card itself. I don't hold out much hope for a fix though, for reasons stated earlier. Hopefully I'm wrong.

It's actually a really good card / a good performer in my experience. Good all-around card for gaming or compute workflows, basically like a Vega 64 without as much power draw (though I've never measured exactly how much).

This post was modified 2 years ago

Bring peace to your computing life: stop trying to understand Apple.

ReplyQuote
ux4all
(@ux4all)

I am sure that my input here may be of no use, but I spent the greater part of ... gosh, months, researching.... I can confirm the following works flawlessly... mbp 2019 32 gb ram vega pro 20 card on 10.14.6 with the core x egpu and the radeon vii (direct from amd, no after market tuner). In boot camp running win pro 10 1903, also works like a charm connected to an aw2518hf... (freesync fires away). I have a fan running on the machine but have seen no thermal throttling whatsoever. I did run ddu, the the appropriate driver setup.exe and the system runs both the eGPU and the dGPU... maybe I got lucky? 

If I have posted this here in error, please delete and let me know where you'd like me to post... I'm happy to try whatever anyone needs within reason... a lot cheaper than buying a gaming rig separate from my daily driver... (i use my mbp for 90% of my work, so a small investment to do more was awesome sauce)

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

rawwd liked
ReplyQuote
rawwd
(@rawwd)

@ux4all are you seeing your card in Mojave or is it only visible in Windows? I cannot see my card in Mojave when I plug it in without any hacks.

MacBook Pro 15" Touchbar 2016, 2,9 GHz Intel Core i7 (I7-6700HQ) quadcore, 1TB SSD
16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 RAM, Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB, AMD Radeon Pro 460 4 MB
Identifiers: Late 2016 15" (Touch Bar) - MLH32LL/A* - MacBookPro13,3 - A1707 - 3072
macOS Mojave 10.14.6 (Oct 2019)
Enclosure: Razer Core X (Oct 2019)
GFX Card: Gigabyte AMD Radeon VII HBM2 16 GB (Oct 2019)

ReplyQuote
Hansjorg G
(@jurgen_w_de)

Hi there, I am running Macbook Pro Retina 13 "2013 with macOS Mojave 10.14.2 A graphics card Vega 64 is in the AKiTiO Node Thunderbolt 3 box. How can I use the egpu as a preferred graphics card. Is there a process? Switch on the Macbook then boot up the eGPU or it doesn't matter. The internal one is always used. Thank you for the tips. Greeting Jürgen from Germany I use Googel to translate, I hope you can see my problem.

This post was modified 1 year ago

Apple Macbook [2013], 2,4 GHz, Intel Core i5, 8 GB, 1 TB SSD @macOS 10.14.2 Mojave

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

ReplyQuote
Hansjorg G
(@jurgen_w_de)

@mac_editor

Hi there,

thanks for the tip, that's it.

The card is now used.

Greeting Jürgen

from Germany

Apple Macbook [2013], 2,4 GHz, Intel Core i5, 8 GB, 1 TB SSD @macOS 10.14.2 Mojave

ReplyQuote
 of  14