Stuttering playback with Mac Mini, Sonnet 650 and Gigabyte Radeon™ RX VEGA 64 GA...

Notifications
Clear all

Stuttering playback with Mac Mini, Sonnet 650 and Gigabyte Radeon™ RX VEGA 64 GAMING OC 8G  

RSS

(@zach_rosing)

I have a newest model Mac Mini upgraded to 32GB RAM (but am experiencing the same issue with a new 16” MacBook Pro) and a Sonnet 650 w/ a (supposed to be new but looks to be certified?) Gigabyte Radeon™ RX VEGA 64 GAMING OC 8G.

I’m trying to use this setup with 5 1920x1080 screens, but am getting stuttering frame refreshing every second or two. This improves slightly when I connect fewer displays, but not significantly and the problem is very much still there with only 1 display attached. When I run Heaven on one of the displays, the frame rate generally stays very high but I can see where it blips. 

Specifically, there are 4 BlackMagic HDMI to SDI adapters and one Samsung HDTV connected. I also have a local monitor connected to the Mini’s internal HDMI port, but I experience the same problems even if its connected to the 6th port on the card. We’re trying to use these in a theatrical setting with QLab playing videos, so smooth playback is important. 

I’ve reset PRAM and have tried all number of variations of connecting/disconnecting certain displays.

Can you help point me in the right direction? Could this be an issue with the card? If so, can you recommend a card under $500 with 5 outputs? 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote