Technical Issue with eGPU on a 2020 iMac

Notifications
Clear all

Technical Issue with eGPU on a 2020 iMac  

RSS

RedDot
(@reddot)

Hi,

My eGPU is a Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 650W + AMD Radeon Pro WX 9100 bundle, and I'm on a 2020 27'' iMac running macOS Catalina 10.15.7.

A few months ago I had to repair the Sonnet's Thunderbolt 3 dock which had broken, and I think it was properly repaired — I hear a click everytime I plug it to the iMac which means, as far as I can see, that there's juice running between the box and the iMac.

The issue is that the eGPU isn't recognized anymore when I plug it. I don't even get the eGPU menubar icon, "SafeEjectGPU gpus" returns no removable GPUs, and even the Thunderbolt ports appear as having "no device connected". My question is the obvious one:

Does anyone know what's the issue, and how to fix it? I have no clue of why this is happening, and how to deal with it.

Any hints or insights on this question would be much appreciated.

All the best.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@reddot, Did Sonnet Support disclose what was fixed? If you don't see any devices under Thunderbolt tree in System Information, it means there's no active connection from your iMac to the Sonnet Breakaway Box. It's either the Thunderbolt 3 cable or the Breakaway Box's mainboard. You can try a different TB3 cable to eliminate that as a possible culprit.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 Gigabyte Z490 Vision D [10th,8C,K] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
RedDot
(@reddot)

@itsage, Sonnet didn't repair it, friends from a universitary Electric Engineering department did it... The dock was litterally broken and they welded it with precision tools, that's all. I don't think the cable is the culprit, I also tried a T3->T2 adapter + T2 cable setup on my 2015 27'' iMac, and got the same results. Any idea what I should do about this? Beyond the dock, there really seemed to be no problem with it, at least as far as I could see.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@reddot, I see. PCB component repair is not easy. If you're under warranty, I would say to ask for a RMA. The Thunderbolt 3 mainboard is shared across several enclosures manufactured by TUL. You may be able to find it on the used market but it's best to reach out to Sonnet Support first.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 Gigabyte Z490 Vision D [10th,8C,K] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
RedDot
(@reddot)

@itsage, of course. But they're used to it, and there's no visible damage to the board at all. I'll do as you advised, thanks.

This post was modified 3 months ago

ReplyQuote