[TEST RESULTS] Adobe suite working flawlessly. Akitio Node Pro + Sapphire Pulse RX 580 + MacBook Pro late 17  

RSS

(@zambrigo)
July 5, 2018 12:19 am  

After a lot of research, today I finally received the eGPU enclosure and the graphics card and I spent the whole day testing the several doubts I still had before buying...and they all dissipated. The main doubt I had before installing my eGPU was related to the Adobe Suite and all the other apps that maybe would not use my new card to accelerate their workflow, so that's one of the first things I tried.

As I spent a lot of time searching for information about this topic and I only found negative results, I want to writ this first so anyone like me can find this in the future: All the Adobe Apps are working GREAT with the external GPU. Adobe Premiere, Adobe After Effects, Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop. They detect the eGPU as the main graphics card in the computer, as you'll be able to see in the screenshots. Maybe this is due to my actual setup, closed lid connected to 2 displays.

That said, here are the results of my tests.

Here is a comparison of Adobe Premiere exporting the same project, with the RX 580 on external display and the Pro 560 on internal display. I didn't have to use the script that forces the apps to prefer the external GPU, it just worked fine. As you can see in the filenames, one took 99 seconds while the 580 needed just 36.

Regarding FCPX, here YES I had to use the great script created some days ago to force apps preferring the eGPU, otherway it was only used to preview and timeline render, but not export render. After seeing how well all the other apps perform, detecting the eGPU as if it wasn't external and just using it as a normal GPU, it really surprises me that FCPX does not do it...sounds like they still need to sell more iMac Pros...Time difference here was the same, 90 seconds vs 30 seconds. By the way, Bruce X took 39 Vs 19 seconds.

IMPORTANT FOR SET-EGPU SCRIPT USERS - After testing FCPX with the eGPU via script force, I used the script to reset FCPX's preferences and made a new render, but this time it did not use the Pro 560, it started using the damn Iris LOL. Went to "about my mac menu" and found out the Iris as the only card detected. A reboot brought back things to normal.

I finally tested some other apps, like Lightroom, Blender and After Effects. All of them detected the eGPU as if it was an internal GPU, showing it in their options menu and allowing me to use it normally. Except blender, that app preferred using the damn CPU and I can't figure out why, although it is shown in the acceleration render menu.

Here you can find a gallery with some of the apps that detected my eGPU normally, After Effects, Blender and Lightroom. Didn't test any games, I don't use my computer for gaming.

Hope this helps. Best regards,
Miguel.

avj, Chippy McChipset, whatsarobinson and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
whatsarobinson
(@whatsarobinson)
July 5, 2018 9:01 am  

Thanks for sharing your results! I've been a bit hesitant to invest in an eGPU since most of my work lately has been Premiere based, but seeing your findings I might take the plunge after all.
Was Premiere/Media Encoder able to use both GPUs for renders and exports like they do on the dual GPU "trash can" Mac Pros? 

ReplyQuote
(@zambrigo)
July 5, 2018 10:56 am  
Posted by: Eightarmedpet

Have you tried Bootcamp set up yet? Interested to hear if its plug and play too...

Sorry, I don't use Bootcamp, installed it once years ago for curiosity and that's all.

Posted by: whatsarobinson

Thanks for sharing your results! I've been a bit hesitant to invest in an eGPU since most of my work lately has been Premiere based, but seeing your findings I might take the plunge after all.
Was Premiere/Media Encoder able to use both GPUs for renders and exports like they do on the dual GPU "trash can" Mac Pros? 

This is how it looks when exporting a project with Media Encoder. You can choose Open CL or Metal acceleration. Seems like the eGPU does most of the work and the other 2 present a little activity. I wasn't doing any other thing during the export, not even moving the mouse, so I assume that activity in the other 2 cards must have also been for the export. I think though, we are talking about quite different scenarios.

ReplyQuote
Chippy McChipset
(@chippy-mcchipset)
Reputable Member
July 5, 2018 9:42 pm  

@ZambriGo This result is surprising; I have not had the same luck getting all apps to recognize the eGPU and accelerate all related features. That's with an approved RX Vega 56 card and approved Sonnet box. In Premiere Pro and AE was it just the media encoder tasks that showed the eGPU usage or did you see things like effects being accelerated in the timeline too?

ReplyQuote
(@zambrigo)
July 5, 2018 10:54 pm  
Posted by: Chippy McChipset

@ZambriGo This result is surprising; I have not had the same luck getting all apps to recognize the eGPU and accelerate all related features. That's with an approved RX Vega 56 card and approved Sonnet box. In Premiere Pro and AE was it just the media encoder tasks that showed the eGPU usage or did you see things like effects being accelerated in the timeline too?

I showed usage when exporting with Premiere and Media Encoder. In the timeline everything was smooth and the monitor only showed activity on the eGPU. When the red bar appeared above, depending on the effect, it was more or less smooth, so then I preview-rendered it (pressing ENTER) and there it also used the eGPU to accelerate the process. When using the dGPU that preview render took around 60 seconds while the eGPU just needed 20. Is this answer correct for your answer or isn't that what you meant?

If you need something more specific @chippy-mcchipset you just have to ask me, upload a clip somewhere, send me the link and tell me what effect to apply and I can test it, so we also can compare the performance in your Vega 56 and my RX 580. I think it would be great. How does that sound to you? 🙂 To me it would be great too as I am thinking if keep the 580 or look for a vega

Regards,
Miguel.

ReplyQuote
whatsarobinson
(@whatsarobinson)
July 6, 2018 9:35 pm  

Ah I see. I expected to see a little more activity from the 560 if it was working together with the 580 on the export. Either way I'm happy with the results!

ReplyQuote
Chippy McChipset
(@chippy-mcchipset)
Reputable Member
July 9, 2018 7:41 pm  
Posted by: ZambriGo
Posted by: Chippy McChipset

I showed usage when exporting with Premiere and Media Encoder. In the timeline everything was smooth and the monitor only showed activity on the eGPU. When the red bar appeared above, depending on the effect, it was more or less smooth, so then I preview-rendered it (pressing ENTER) and there it also used the eGPU to accelerate the process. When using the dGPU that preview render took around 60 seconds while the eGPU just needed 20. Is this answer correct for your answer or isn't that what you meant?

Regards,
Miguel.

If I understand you correctly, yes, that answers the question. Good to know it's working in some configurations. Maybe too Adobe has released a stealth-patch as part of recent bug fixes / updates.

ReplyQuote
swithdrawn
(@swithdrawn)
July 10, 2018 1:13 am  

@zambrigo How is the UI in Premiere on your LG display? Are you running hiDPI? I have an TB2 1080 Ti on my nMP and the Premiere UI is slow as molasses when running in a HiDPI mode (general UI interaction and video playback). Same goes if I try an AMD WX7100 Pro. Only the internal D300's give a smooth experience, but they cause KP's *all* the time. 

@chippy-mcchipset I wouldn't go that far... if Adobe made any improvement it was by accident. 😛

ReplyQuote
whatsarobinson
(@whatsarobinson)
July 13, 2018 7:07 am  

@swithdrawn The UI in Premiere is sluggish for me too, but not slow as molasses, and only on my secondary display. I assumed getting an eGPU would solve the problem but it hasn't. For now my fix is to use DisableMonitor (There are tons of apps like this for accessing hiDPI settings beyond what's available in System Preferences) to turn off the hiDPI on my secondary display. I only use the secondary display for my timeline so I don't mind it being a little blurry.

Also this seems to be a widespread problem but the brush tool on Photoshop becomes sluggish as soon as I plug in an eGPU - whether or not I use the script to prefer my eGPU. The brush performance returns to normal as soon as I disconnect the eGPU. Ugh Adobe!!!

ReplyQuote
Chippy McChipset
(@chippy-mcchipset)
Reputable Member
July 13, 2018 3:08 pm  
Posted by: swithdrawn

@chippy-mcchipset I wouldn't go that far... if Adobe made any improvement it was by accident. 😛

Probably. They haven't said a word publicly which is the main reason to think they haven't done no work on it. Their marketing people would make a show of it if they'd done any real eGPU optimization.

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote