Setup & Software Discussions
TEST: Thunderbolt3 enclosure with 750m dGPU and NVIDIA eGPU using DIY eGPU Setup...

TEST: Thunderbolt3 enclosure with 750m dGPU and NVIDIA eGPU using DIY eGPU Setup 1.35  

RSS

Antharsious
(@antharsious)
Trusted Member

Can someone confirm that the way proposed in this thread to install an NVIDIA eGPU on MBPs with a 650m dGPU is also working on the 750m dGPU versions?

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/mbpr-mid-2012-dedicated-geforce-650m-with-akitio-node-gtx-980ti-thunderbolt-1/#post-9109

This would be amazing if it could solve the detection problem encountered by 750m dGPU MBPs coupled with recent NVIDIA cards and Thunderbolt3 enclosures!

2014 15" Macbook Pro GT750M + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win10

Impact of Turboboost on performances and fan noise level (MacBook Pro)

ReplyQuote
gtosi
(@gtosi)
Eminent Member

Also interested in that. I have a Late 2013 15' 750m dGPU MBP. Akitio Node will (finally) arrive next week and be used with a 1070 GTX, so will find out :). Haven't seen any implementation yet on this exact Macbook+pascal model in the forum (or is there?).

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
gtosi
(@gtosi)
Eminent Member

@Antharsious, do you know of any updates regarding this? I have my node now with the 2013 15' 750m. Macos fairly painless as reported elsewhere (need automate gpu -a option, or boot sequence reported by mac_editor).

I tried many things on the windows side, including activating iGPU, uninstalling or disabling 750, timing the plug in of the node etc. When running the automate gpu -a option and restarting with windows, the node can be connected from startup, and windows does not hang. But no recognition of the node in windows (despite disabled 750m).

The guys with a 650m don't have a recognition problem as I can see. They at least get some recognition in device manager, but with errors. 

So I was thinking of just giving the DIY1.35 a go, but wanted to see first if there is anyone with a 750m + NODE (we also know it works with thunder2) who has experience with DIY1.35, with either a 10xx or 9xx card (I think some older cards also worked with the 750m).

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Antharsious
(@antharsious)
Trusted Member

Unfortunately, I didn't hear anything about an Akitio Node which would work with the 750m and an NVIDIA eGPU yet... There is always this detection issue in every trial...

Apparently, you would be more successful with an AMD card but only with use of an external display... mac_editor was not successful in powering the internal display with his rx 480 AMD card...

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/mid-2014-macbook-pro-w-750m-rx-480-akitio-node-on-macos-win-10/paged/1/

The 650m version seems to work well but I am rather pessimistic about the solution I mentioned at the beginning of this thread regarding the 750m version...

I'll let you know if I heard that someone was successful involving a 750m and an Akitio Node with 10xx or 9xx cards and the DIY1.35 setup ... 🙂

2014 15" Macbook Pro GT750M + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win10

Impact of Turboboost on performances and fan noise level (MacBook Pro)

gtosi liked
ReplyQuote
gtosi
(@gtosi)
Eminent Member

Yes, I am not too optimistic either. Since it appears that nobody tried this yet, I just bought DIY 1.35 setup, and will explore if there is any way to get it detected in windows, will update when I know more.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

Posted by: Antharsious

Unfortunately, I didn't hear anything about an Akitio Node which would work with the 750m and an NVIDIA eGPU yet... There is always this detection issue in every trial...

Apparently, you would be more successful with an AMD card but only with use of an external display... mac_editor was not successful in powering the internal display with his rx 480 AMD card though...

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/mid-2014-macbook-pro-w-750m-rx-480-akitio-node-on-macos-win-10/paged/1/

The 650m version seems to work well but I am rather pessimistic about the solution I mentioned at the beginning of this thread regarding the 750m version...

I'll let you know if I heard that someone was successful involving a 750m and an Akitio Node with 10xx or 9xx cards and the DIY1.35 setup ... 🙂

Internal display acceleration is possible on both macOS and Windows w/ AMD as mentioned in the updated post in the relevant section. Another user was successful in accomplishing the same.

I had also enquired about the POST issue with the user from the 650M thread and they mentioned that it was something they did not experience. This is clearly a different behavior than on the 750M macs, so there is something else going on.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
----
Troubleshooting eGPUs on macOS
Command Line Swiss Knife

Multiple Build Guides
----
Current: MacBook Pro RP560X + 480/R9 Fury/Vega 64 | GTX 780/1070
Previous: 2014 MacBook Pro 750M + 480/R9 Fury | GTX 780/980 Ti/1070

Antharsious and gtosi liked
ReplyQuote
gtosi
(@gtosi)
Eminent Member

I agree, there most be something else going on.  It must be a software/bootsetting issue, since it works with either AMD cards, or Thunder2. So as you said in a previous post yourself, the specific combination must be causing this. My hope is that because it seems to be a software issue, that it can be solved somehow. (At some stage I thought that because the dGPU is wired to the display port and hdmi, that it might be a hardware issue, but I think that's unlikely because it works with other cards/enclosures).

I cannot resort to AMD since I need CUDA, so my only option would have been a Thunder2, but I also wanted to future proof, since I thought it won't be too many years before upgrading.

automate-egpu.sh -a gets the macbook through the POST with the eGPU connected from the very beginning, and also into DIY 1.35. But I still did not manage to get the eGPU detected with DIY 1.35. I did manage to have the iGPU remain activated into DIY 1.35, it is by default disable when not booting into macos. If there would only be a way to disable the dGPU before going into DIY 1.35. I am thinking that could be the way since the same late 2013 macbook 15' without dGPU with the same mac boot bios version and thunderbolt firmware version does not have this trouble. 

Something that happens during booting macos detects the eGPU and makes it useable, and it seems this does not happen before the boot (before the apple appears) since even before booting windows, the eGPU cannot be detected in DIY 1.35 (also with hotplugging etc.).

Thanks to help from nando4 there are still a few things that I will try..

ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member

ReplyQuote
gtosi
(@gtosi)
Eminent Member

Posted by: ed_co

Have you consider to try this?:

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/how-to-keep-mbps-irisiris-pro-activated-when-booting-into-windows-boot-camp/

Yes, that keeps the iGPU activated, and the DIY1.35 (which happens before booting into windows) detects both the dGPU and iGPU as a result. When not doing the procedure of goalque you linked to, then DIY1.35 does not even detect the iGPU.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

Kepler-based NVIDIA cards (and older) have a great chance of working with this Mac model, and do not even require third-party drivers on macOS. While a 780 Ti is not nearly as grand as the shiny new 10 series, the native macOS drivers provide exceptionally well-optimized support for the card. Of course, there would be no POST issues and whatnot and the implementation process would be even simpler than my AMD implementation. This also means Windows works when you need it to.

One user has confirmed that an old 480 worked.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
----
Troubleshooting eGPUs on macOS
Command Line Swiss Knife

Multiple Build Guides
----
Current: MacBook Pro RP560X + 480/R9 Fury/Vega 64 | GTX 780/1070
Previous: 2014 MacBook Pro 750M + 480/R9 Fury | GTX 780/980 Ti/1070

ReplyQuote