The unstable performance of RX580 Gaming Box on my MacBook Pro

Notifications
Clear all

The unstable performance of RX580 Gaming Box on my MacBook Pro  

RSS

5656hcx
(@5656hcx)

For example, Dota 2 and Fortnight never reach 60FPS no matter how I change the graphic settings. But The Raise of Tomb Raider works pretty well. I think there must be some problem with my settings since I have seen even RX460 can play Dota 2 at 60FPS. I also tried Overwatch at bootcamp, the FPS is very unstable, sometimes can be 200+ but sometimes just like playing powerpoint.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
nu_ninja
(@nu_ninja)
Reputable Member

Is this in macOS? A lot of eSports type games are optimized much more for windows than mac whereas good, newer ports of games like Rise of the Tomb Raider run much better. Also if you're playing on the internal display that can decrease performance a lot.

Mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro (MacBookPro9,2) TB1 -> RX 460/560 (AKiTiO Node/Thunder2)
+ macOS 10.15+Win10 + Linux Mint 19.1

2012 13" MacBook Pro [3rd,2C,M] + RX 460 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.14.4 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: nu_ninja

Is this in macOS? A lot of eSports type games are optimized much more for windows than mac whereas good, newer ports of games like Rise of the Tomb Raider run much better. Also if you're playing on the internal display that can decrease performance a lot.

Seconded. Huge differences in some cases.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
5656hcx
(@5656hcx)

I play Dota 2 in macOS with an external monitor. I just feel strange because my friend's macbook pro 2015 (15-inch, R9 M370X) performs much better than me (both with lowest graphic settings). I also tried Overwatch in bootcamp (also external display), the FPS keeps changing (20-200) and never stabilize.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote