Thunderbolt 3 eGPU with a 2015 Thunderbolt 2 MacBook pro - will it work?  

Phoenix2063
(@phoenix2063)
June 6, 2018 3:13 pm  

With no hardware updates at WWDC this week i'm left waiting until September to see whether Apple will make enough improvements to the MacBook pro before jumping to a Windows ultrabook. Until then i was thinking i could still get an Thunderbolt 3 eGPU and use it with my 2015 MacBook pro through the Thunderbolt 2 port as all i'd need is the right cable, but is it that simple? Are there any software restrictions for this setup? If not then would be I be able to do some light 1080p gaming such as Total War series and Fortnite?

ReplyQuote
detunedradios
(@detunedradios)
Eminent Member
June 6, 2018 5:03 pm  

macOS 10.3.4 and higher automatically block eGPU use on TB1/2 Macs, but the wonderful folks here have devised ways around this:

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/script-fr34ks-macos-egpu-sh-one-script-all-solutions-fully-automated/

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
Haoshiro
(@haoshiro)
Eminent Member
June 7, 2018 10:26 pm  

What @detunedradios said. But also note that it does work fine in Windows (I'm using a 2015 MBP myself with a Razer Core X and an RX580).

I was right there with you being disappointed about WWDC being only software announcements! 🙁  Personally I'd just run Windows right on the MBP versus replacing with a PC-only machine but good luck!

death to self

ReplyQuote
ganjubas
(@ganjubas)
June 7, 2018 11:13 pm  

I had a success with setting up Sonnet breakaway box with RX580 on bootcamp with 10.13.5 (Macbook pro 13" retina mid 2015). However, when I attempted to repeat same thing with Macbook pro 15" retina mid 2014 - it was utterly difficult and I am still yet to figure out how to make that thing work ( https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/yet-another-issue-with-sonnet-550w-rx580-bootcamp/ describes my current issue). So, I guess, proceed at your own risk, in my experience this setup is super flaky, my gaming friends look at me like I am a freak by running such a weird setup for gaming system. Separate PC machine would definitely be more of a breeze setup-wise.

ReplyQuote