late-2016 13" MacBook Po + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder2 via TB2 to TB2 adap...

Notifications
Clear all

late-2016 13" MacBook Po + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder2 via TB2 to TB2 adapter) + macOS10.12.2BETA [itsage]^  

of  5
  RSS

GuideOfGalaxy
(@guideofgalaxy)
Trusted Member

Posted by: goalque

Might work by installing rEFInd and uncommenting spoof_osx_version config line, or alternatively as I did in EFI Shell:

1) Download apple_set_os.efi

2) Download EFI Dev Kit:  https://sourceforge.net/projects/efidevkit/files/latest/downloa   

will this guide work with nvidia graphics cards.

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP455) [6th,4C,H] + RX 5600 XT @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.3 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
dooku655
(@dooku655)

Is AKITiO charging Macbook through TB3?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

Posted by: GuideOfGalaxy

Posted by: goalque

Might work by installing rEFInd and uncommenting spoof_osx_version config line, or alternatively as I did in EFI Shell:

1) Download apple_set_os.efi

2) Download EFI Dev Kit:  https://sourceforge.net/projects/efidevkit/files/latest/downloa   

will this guide work with nvidia graphics cards.

No. I know how:

RX 480: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/11748177

GTX 980: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/11751133

The EFI app can automate this. The development of the script project has been halted due to thread hijack on TI forum.

EDIT:

It appears that Windows 10 updates has an effect. The above procedure might work with Nvidia cards as well.

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi

Mid 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro eGPU Master Thread

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 1809 [build link]  

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Posted by: HWfreak

Is AKITiO charging Macbook through TB3?

No it doesn't provide enough power to charge the MacBook Pro. It does make that charging sound when I plug the Thunderbolt 3 cable into the laptop. I'm seeing about 15W through the connection which is right about the rate of power consumption. In the several hours I've used the laptop connected to my AKiTiO Thunder3 + RX 470 eGPU, the battery percentage has stayed at mostly the same level of charge.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ikir liked
ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member

Tomorrow I will receive my MacBook Pro 13" 2016 and next week Thunder3! I will add my test to this thread.

I plan to build an eGPU with RX480

MacBook Pro 2018 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.7Ghz - 16GB RAM - 512GB PCIe SSD
my awesome Radeon VII eGPU
my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15 [build link]  

goalque and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
hblockx
(@hblockx)

How did you get rid of the error code 12 in bootcamp?

Dsdt-Override alone doesn't seem to work and setup1.3 does not work with forced gpt of 2016-macbook? 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

I have not spent a lot of time in Windows 10 on this 2016 MBP yet. My focus atm is on making it work in macOS. I've read several reports that error 12 was fixed either through DSDT Override or by Goalque's instructions in post 49.

Which eGPU setup and MacBook Pro are you working with?

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
hblockx
(@hblockx)

Using the new macbook pro 13 late 2016 with touchbar and akitio2 (thunderbolt 3 adapter) with RX470. Override hasn't fixed it for me, sadly. I haven't tried goalques steps yet but doing it this weekend!

ReplyQuote
hblockx
(@hblockx)

Sadly hasn't fixed it at all... Windows is not booting with the egpu plugged in, i still have to plug it in right after the Windows-logo. In the end error code 12... Feeling really strange that mac os works like a charm and windows does not, usually it is the other way around with egpu?! 😀

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

@hblockx, I'm sorry to hear that. Seems to mimic 2015 13" MBP's boot behaviour. I've the non-touch bar version of the 2016 13" MBP.

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi

Mid 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro eGPU Master Thread

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 1809 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  5