Thunderbolt eGPU for Mac - 2017 Update - macOS Sierra

Thunderbolt eGPU for Mac - 2017 Update - macOS Sierra  

of  2
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

What’s the best Thunderbolt eGPU for Mac in 2017? Depends on whom you ask, the answers vary. I happen to be in possession of three Thunderbolt expansion enclosures and four Apple Mac laptops which span three generations of Thunderbolt connectivity. At the moment, my pick would go to the AKiTiO Node.

My conclusion came after I ran all four Mac laptops through all three Thunderbolt enclosures. The Node is the only enclosure that is a ready-to-go eGPU solution from the factory. Its 400W power supply and generous chassis dimensions mean it can accomodate up to the most powerful AMD or NVidia cards available. It also has the newer USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 controller, TI83, which macOS fully supports.

The other two enclosures, Thunder2 and Thunder3, require a more powerful power supply than their factory 60W unit to run any AMD or NVidia card. Their cases need to be modified to accommodate most graphics cards. They also have older and unsupported Thunderbolt controllers.

The list of Thunderbolt equipped Mac laptops for this evaluation with the AKiTiO Node Thunderbolt 3 enclosure are:

The Late 2016 Mac laptops are running at Thunderbolt 3 speed (40Gbps) through the AKiTiO Thunderbolt 3 cable while the older Mac laptops are running at slower speed via the Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter. The Early 2015 11″ MacBook Air is running at Thunderbolt 2 speed (20Gbps) and the Late 2011 17″ MacBook Pro is running at Thunderbolt 1 speed (10Gbps).

An AKiTiO Node running with firmware v1.0.0.3 B1-23+3.6.1 is fully functional in macOS 10.12 Sierra. To enable the use of an eGPU in Mac OS environment, the one prerequisite is Goalque’s automate-eGPU script. At the moment, Nvidia GTX 900s series and older are Mac compatible. The soon-to-be-released version 1.0.0 of this script will have better support for AMD Polaris and Fiji graphics cards.

I successfully ran automate-eGPU script on these four Mac laptops to enable eGPU with the AKiTiO Node enclosure. The graphics card used is an EVGA GTX 980 Ti Hybrid with liquid cooling; it’s a perfect pairing with the Node. Below are the benchmarks – you can click on the scores to see the screen captures.

Mac LaptopThunderbolt PCIe SpeedLuxmark 3.1Unigine ValleyUnigine Heaven
Late 2016 15" MacBook Pro32Gbps-TB318,1412,834 (67.7 FPS)1,790 (71 FPS)
Late 2016 13" MacBook Pro32Gbps-TB318,6022,389 (57.1 FPS)1,756 (69.7 FPS)
Early 2015 11" MacBook Air16Gbps-TB218,4352,218 (53 FPS)1,653 (65.6 FPS)
Late 2011 17" MacBook Pro10Gbps-TB117,9332,215 (52.9 FPS)1,538 (61.1 FPS)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vySxzfILxys" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The performance difference between older Thunderbolt Macs vs the latest Thunderbolt 3 ones is very marginal. The only scenario in which you would benefit from native Thunderbolt 3 speed is in Windows using Nvidia Optimus or AMD XConnect to accelerate the internal display; I will be testing these same four Mac laptops in the coming weeks with Windows 10. In macOS environment, full usage of an eGPU requires an external monitor.

I know many people (myself included) want a solution for eGPU accelerated internal display. It’s not possible yet through software. There are workarounds using hardware though. A very clever and resourceful forum member built a HDMI adapter-to-no-where to trick the operating system into using eGPU through the internal display. Alternatively, you can get a HMDI adapter-to-fake-display.

Update 1/21/2017: It’s now possible to have the eGPU accelerate your Mac’s internal display in macOS.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BRRCBNJQY6o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thunderbolt eGPU for Mac is becoming more of a reality than it has ever been. With the demands of VR development, 4K video editing, and immersive video games, the performance boost of an external graphics card would enable your Mac to do things Apple didn’t think you could.

Browse the builds for other successful eGPU implementations with Apple Thunderbolt computers.

This topic was modified 1 month ago

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
Barry
 Barry
(@Barry)

Great post, thanks! Quick question, everywhere I can find selling the AKiTiO Node states that it is "Windows Only" compatible. Is this just to be ignored or is there a variant which support OSX?

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Apple never announced eGPU as a feature of its computers. Therefore Intel does not issue macOS certification to any eGPU manufacturer. AKiTiO may not claim macOS compatibility for this reason.

It’s very much a trial and error process with finding Thunderbolt enclosures which work on macOS. Fortunately AKiTiO boxes (Thunder2, Thunder3, and now Node) have been found to work well so far.

ReplyQuote
mdr1a
(@mdr1a)

Thanks for sharing this exciting news! I'm waiting someone to test Akitio Node's capability with older Mac, finally here.

2015 15" Macbook Pro M370x + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + Win10 & macOS 10.12.2

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Adding an eGPU is definitely a better upgrade than buying the new Late 2016 MacBook Pro.

ReplyQuote
pdafan
 pdafan
(@pdafan)

Hi TheITSage,
Thanks for your informative sharing.
Always enjoy reading your posts.

ReplyQuote
Jasper
 Jasper
(@Jasper)

Hi TheITSage,
Thanks for the article, this has made me very happy to be able to do such things 🙂
Just a minor correction, the Late 2016 15" MacBook Pro uses the HD 530 iGPU not the Iris 530 😉

ReplyQuote
mrtn12
(@mrtn12)

Hi ITSage,

I was wondering if the internal SFX power supply could be replaced to a new one from another brand (ex. corsair)

Thanks!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Thank you for spotting that. We made the correction. 🙂

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Swapping the original SFX power supply with one from other brand should be possible. You’ll have more power cables to deal with though.

ReplyQuote
Matthew
 Matthew
(@Matthew)

Thanks for the post. This is exciting news!

Are you suggesting that if you use the "fit-Headless GS" HDMI adapter that one could use an external GPU in a NODE and get video acceleration no your MacBook Pro built-in display?

If so, would this also work with Thunderbolt Displays connected to the MacBook Pro?

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

ReplyQuote
dream3
(@dream3)
Estimable Member

Thanks for that. Exactly what I needed.

Do you think I should pick up the Node with a 980 TI or an AMD RX 480? Or the RX 480 would be out due to not being supported by that script?

I would like to be able to use the eGPU both in Windows and macOS.

MacOS: 15" Retina Macbook Pro 2015 Iris Pro only
Windows 10: Tornado F5 laptop with discrete GTX 1060
eGPU: GIGABYTE RX 580

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

AMD GPUs including the RX 480 work in macOS with Goalque‘s latest automate-eGPU v1.0.0 script. I’d recommend the GTX 980 Ti though for eGPU builds. In my testings, I have much better luck with Nvidia GPUs in both macOS and Windows.

ReplyQuote
dream3
(@dream3)
Estimable Member

Thanks ITSAGE. I'll go with the 980 TI then.

Now I just checked the NODE and unfortunately it will be too big for my setup. Razer Core or Bizon 2S or 3 would be perfect though. Are you aware if those have basically the same internals and support by macOS as the Node? I have here with me a 2015 15" macbook pro, iris only.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

I don’t recommend Bizon products – no Intel certification and stolen work from eGPU community.

The Razer Core is a good choice but you’ll have to run TB3-enabler first before macOS would show the enclosure as Supported.

ReplyQuote
dream3
(@dream3)
Estimable Member

Understood.

So basically I just run TB3-enabler and the Razer Core should behave like the Node? Meaning it'll support the 980 TI with macOS and bootcamp in my 2015 mbp, just like the Node? Sorry if it is obvious, it's just that this eGPU realm is very new to me.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Correct. Here’s a simplified overview of how Windows and macOS interact with eGPU:

Step 1 – Communication between the Thunderbolt enclosure to the computer.
Step 2 – Recognition in Windows or macOS that the enclosure contains a graphics card.
Step 3 – Appropriate drivers for the GPU are installed and loaded in Windows or macOS.

The AKiTiO Node with TI83 controller passes Step 1 because macOS fully supports it. Enclosures with older controller such as Razer Core and AKiTiO Thunder3 are unsupported. Therefore they need TB3-Enabler to pass this Step 1.

automate-eGPU script takes care of Step 2 and Step 3 in macOS. Intel Thunderbolt Software and either Nvidia Optimus or AMD XConnect handle Step 2 and Step 3 in Windows.

ReplyQuote
dream3
(@dream3)
Estimable Member

Awesome!
But out of curiosity, what are the implications of this older controller in the Razer Core? What does it do "worse" in practice compare to the TI83?

And what about the thunderbolt cable? Will I need to get a specific one or an adapter to make the connection between my mbp's TB2 and the core's TB3 or any thunderbolt 3 cable will do it?

ReplyQuote
Barry
 Barry
(@Barry)

Thanks mate, the support you're giving everyone here in the comments is amazing. I've ordered the Node and looking at the GPUs now. I've been offered a great price on the Geforce GTX970, any reason why that wouldnt be a good choice?

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

The nice thing about eGPU is similar to a PC build, you can swap GPU whenever you’d like. If you have a nice deal on the GTX 970, jump on it. You can always sell it later for break even to get something else.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

The TI82 controller is worse because it’s on Apple’s blacklist. Therefore it requires one more hack to make eGPU work in macOS.

I’d recommend getting Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter and Thunderbolt 2 cable for your setup.

ReplyQuote
Matthew
 Matthew
(@Matthew)

Hi, where can one pickup an AKiTiO Node? It seems they won't be available until March 2017?

ReplyQuote
Barry
 Barry
(@Barry)

I've checked every european AKiTiO stockist and they are all awaiting stock. AKiTiO told me March/April on Twitter

https://twitter.com/akitio/status/821543416190222337

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Thank you for sharing the update. I wish AKiTiO had anticipated demand better.

ReplyQuote
Edwin
 Edwin
(@Edwin)

Hello, awesome post. I want to ask if you could shed any light on my situation. I have a 15" early '13 MBP (which I don't want to upgrade yet) which is usually hooked up to a Thunderbolt Display when not on the go. Could the Node sit inbetween them without any issue? As in...

TB1 MBP > TB3 Node w/video card > T1 Thunderbolt Display

With ">" being a Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter.

ReplyQuote
Janny
 Janny
(@Janny)

Hi, Function Akitio node with msi 750ti ( this graphics card doesnt have pin connector).
Thanks for answer

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Edwin, the AKiTiO Node has only the single TB3 port. There are no additional ports to daisy chain off. Your early 2013 15″ MBP (GT650M) has 2 Thunderbolt1 ports on it. There you’d attach one to your Thunderbolt display and the other to the AKiTiO Node via the Apple Thunderbolt3 to Thunderbolt2 adapter. Just Note that this LCD configuration is seen as attached to your internal GPU and so apps started in that LCD wouldn’t use eGPU acceleration by default. To have full use of the performance of the eGPU, you’d require a HDMI/DP LCD to attach to the eGPU.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (6th,4C,H) + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 // compares M.2 vs TB3 performance

ReplyQuote
Edwin
 Edwin
(@Edwin)

Thank you for the promo response. 🙂

Just sucks that it seems I have to get rid of my Thunderbolt Display. 🙁

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

The Node’s PCIe slot provides 75W so most likely your MSI 750 Ti would work.

ReplyQuote
Edwin
 Edwin
(@Edwin)

What if it where a 13" MBP with no dGPU, only a iGPU?

ReplyQuote
Vincent Aux Fruits
 Vincent Aux Fruits
(@Vincent Aux Fruits)

Thank you for all these information. Just a question, I need graphic acceleration for FCPX on a mbp non retina 2012, which graphic card is the most valuable ? I heard nvdia are not the most powerful in opencl...

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

The Radeon R9 Fury X has the highest OpenCL performance in macOS. I’ve tried it successfully in the Node (paired with XPS 13). Other forum members have used R9 Fury and Polaris GPUs. Refer to our implementations table and look for AMD cards in macOS.

ReplyQuote
Vincent Aux Fruits
 Vincent Aux Fruits
(@Vincent Aux Fruits)

Is it possible to have the test of the internal graphic card for the comparison ? Thank you to make our dream possible ! I dream to upgrade my old macbook 2012 to accelerate render in fcpx. I use lots of plug....

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

That’s a great suggestion. I will run the exact same tests on the built-in GPUs on these laptops and update the table.

ReplyQuote
Vincent Aux Fruits
 Vincent Aux Fruits
(@Vincent Aux Fruits)

Yes ! Thanks ! I'm very interessting to see this Node in europe !

ReplyQuote
 of  2