Notifications
Clear all

Thunderbolt eGPU for Mac - 2017 Update - macOS Sierra  

of  8
  RSS

Matthew
 Matthew
(@Matthew)

Thanks for the post. This is exciting news!

Are you suggesting that if you use the "fit-Headless GS" HDMI adapter that one could use an external GPU in a NODE and get video acceleration no your MacBook Pro built-in display?

If so, would this also work with Thunderbolt Displays connected to the MacBook Pro?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Forum user, enjoy posted his mod and was successful in his attempt. - https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/turn-your-macbook-pro-to-a-gaming-laptop-with-akitio-thunder2/#post-132

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
dream3
(@dream3)
Estimable Member

Thanks for that. Exactly what I needed.

Do you think I should pick up the Node with a 980 TI or an AMD RX 480? Or the RX 480 would be out due to not being supported by that script?

I would like to be able to use the eGPU both in Windows and macOS.

MacOS: 15" Retina Macbook Pro 2015 Iris Pro only
Windows 10: Tornado F5 laptop with discrete GTX 1060
eGPU: GIGABYTE RX 580

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

AMD GPUs including the RX 480 work in macOS with Goalque's latest automate-eGPU v1.0.0 script. I'd recommend the GTX 980 Ti though for eGPU builds. In my testings, I have much better luck with Nvidia GPUs in both macOS and Windows.

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
dream3
(@dream3)
Estimable Member

Thanks ITSAGE. I'll go with the 980 TI then.

Now I just checked the NODE and unfortunately it will be too big for my setup. Razer Core or Bizon 2S or 3 would be perfect though. Are you aware if those have basically the same internals and support by macOS as the Node? I have here with me a 2015 15" macbook pro, iris only.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

I don't recommend Bizon products - no Intel certification and stolen work from eGPU community.

The Razer Core is a good choice but you'll have to run TB3-enabler first before macOS would show the enclosure as Supported.

ReplyQuote
dream3
(@dream3)
Estimable Member

Understood.

So basically I just run TB3-enabler and the Razer Core should behave like the Node? Meaning it'll support the 980 TI with macOS and bootcamp in my 2015 mbp, just like the Node? Sorry if it is obvious, it's just that this eGPU realm is very new to me.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Correct. Here's a simplified overview of how Windows and macOS interact with eGPU:

Step 1 – Communication between the Thunderbolt enclosure to the computer.
Step 2 – Recognition in Windows or macOS that the enclosure contains a graphics card.
Step 3 – Appropriate drivers for the GPU are installed and loaded in Windows or macOS.

The AKiTiO Node with TI83 controller passes Step 1 because macOS fully supports it. Enclosures with older controller such as Razer Core and AKiTiO Thunder3 are unsupported. Therefore they need TB3-Enabler to pass this Step 1.

automate-eGPU script takes care of Step 2 and Step 3 in macOS. Intel Thunderbolt Software and either Nvidia Optimus or AMD XConnect handle Step 2 and Step 3 in Windows.

ReplyQuote
dream3
(@dream3)
Estimable Member

Awesome!
But out of curiosity, what are the implications of this older controller in the Razer Core? What does it do "worse" in practice compare to the TI83?

And what about the thunderbolt cable? Will I need to get a specific one or an adapter to make the connection between my mbp's TB2 and the core's TB3 or any thunderbolt 3 cable will do it?

ReplyQuote
Barry
 Barry
(@Barry)

Thanks mate, the support you're giving everyone here in the comments is amazing. I've ordered the Node and looking at the GPUs now. I've been offered a great price on the Geforce GTX970, any reason why that wouldnt be a good choice?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
 of  8