Setup & Software Discussions
Vega 56 or RX 580?

Vega 56 or RX 580?  

RSS

saandstorm
(@saandstorm)

Shopping for video cards for my Sonnett enclosure and I keep hearing that it may be a long time before NVidia get's their driver situation together, so I'm looking at AMD cards.  Should I attempt to snag a Vega 56 when it comes out next week or see if I can get my hands on an RX 580 (which I'm starting to an uptick in stock after all the miners gobbled them up).

Will be mostly playing WoW on a 2017 MBP, 13 inch no touch bar, and Final Cut video editing. 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
machsoftwaredesign
(@machsoftwaredesign)

The AMD Vega 56 will obviously perform better, but the AMD RX 580 is no slouch either (especially upgrading from integrated graphics).  People are getting significant graphics/pro app acceleration with 4 GB graphics cards, so I imagine either one would suit you just fine; really up to you on how much you want to spend and/or if you really need the the very best (relatively, the Vega 56 I mean).  Regardless definitely stick with AMD since they're better optimized for apps like Final Cut Pro.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

saandstorm and ikir liked
ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member

Vega Vega Vega 

yes AMD rocks on macOS so I will suggest you get a RX Vega 56 relatively cheap and most powerful than RX 580. Anyway also 580 is great mid-level card.

MacBook Pro 2018 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.7Ghz - 16GB RAM - 512GB PCIe SSD
my awesome Radeon VII eGPU
my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64

ReplyQuote
saandstorm
(@saandstorm)

I know the Vega 64's have had some pricing and stock drama at launch. Hoping I can snag a 56 on release day.

ikir liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@saandstorm Have you managed to get one? The RX Vega 56 is the more appropriate choice for eGPU use imo. Here’s my implementation with some benchmarks (stock settings and undervolting).

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member

I have Vega 56 since few days, while macOS still have Vega OpenGL beta (bugged) drivers, the card is far more superior. I hope to see drivers finalized with High Sierra release in 10 days but I doubt they have enough time, faster, faster and more reliable drivers will come with iMac Pro release.

if you can live with bugs (gfx  distortion with AA) and system freeze go Vega otherwise wait or buy RX 580 which runs flawlessly 

MacBook Pro 2018 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.7Ghz - 16GB RAM - 512GB PCIe SSD
my awesome Radeon VII eGPU
my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64

ReplyQuote
igerard
(@igerard)
Estimable Member

Hello,

What vendor is worth to buy ? 

I see a MSI model on the French Amazon store ?

PS : I cancelled my order of the RX 580

MBP 2018, Touch Bar, i7 2.6 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1T SSD, Radeon 560X... very nice!
eGPU : Akitio Node + RX 580 + GTX 980 Ti + Vega64

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

Better stick to these deals:

https://egpu.io/forums/deals/508e-rx-vega-64/

All reference cards should be compatible, it doesn't matter which brand but I would avoid XFX. Your problem is to keep it cool and quiet. It's like a hair dryer. Many enclosure manufacturers are not prepared for 90-100C hot spots.

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi
--
2018 13" MacBook Pro + Radeon [email protected] + Win10 1809

ReplyQuote
igerard
(@igerard)
Estimable Member

Thanx Goalque, I have the Akitio Node, and I have to change Power Supply and Fan to get all the system quieter 

MBP 2018, Touch Bar, i7 2.6 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1T SSD, Radeon 560X... very nice!
eGPU : Akitio Node + RX 580 + GTX 980 Ti + Vega64

ReplyQuote
BMW2017
(@bmw2017)
Eminent Member

I've tried the 56 and 64... Both freeze under public beta of High Sierra... I'm hearing the RX 580 is running perfectly in High Sierra... I'll be trying that one next.

ReplyQuote
dburkland
(@dburkland)

Posted by: BMW2017

I've tried the 56 and 64... Both freeze under public beta of High Sierra... I'm hearing the RX 580 is running perfectly in High Sierra... I'll be trying that one next.

I tried my best to work around the freezing with my Vega 56 but ended up returning for the RX580 as well. Hopefully Apple doesn't make us wait until Spring until decent drivers for the Vega 56/64 cards are released in High Sierra...

ReplyQuote