Vega 64 Razer Core X works on Mac Mini - But XFX RX 580 4GB does not?

Notifications
Clear all

Vega 64 Razer Core X works on Mac Mini - But XFX RX 580 4GB does not?  

RSS

Category5x
(@category5x)

I have a Razer Core X that has been running a Vega 64 for months with no issues.  I tried to downgrade today, to an XFX RX580 4GB since I really only need faster 5K scaled support, and not much else, but the RX 580 just reboots and says computer was restarted because of a problem.  When I start up I see the Apple logo, and then a black screen, or sometimes a red circle with a line through it, and then the restart warning.

I have tried booting to USB-C video, and then hot plugging the GPU, but the GPU starts and then everything (including computer) shuts off.

I popped the card in my PC to test it and all is perfectly fine.

Is the XFX card somehow at fault?  I know RX 580s are supported.

Any help is appreciated.

Oh yeah.  Mac Mini 2018, Catalina (up to date) - 64GB Ram - LG 4k 27" Monitor.  Using Displayport.

This topic was modified 2 weeks ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@category5x, The vBIOS in many XFX cards are not macOS compatible. Search for a vBIOS from a different brand such as Sapphire then flash over your XFX. Make sure the VRAM brand is the same.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 15" ASUS TUF Dash F15 [11th,4C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 // my 3rd RTX 3080 build [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Category5x
(@category5x)

@itsage, Thanks for that!  I downlaoded the Sapphire BIOS and will try putting it into the mining slot and see how it goes!  For those wondering where to get BIOS' TechPowerup has them all.

Seems I can't flash Sapphire to XFX becauyse it tells me version mismatch and won't continue.

Any ideas how to get around this, or edit the original BIOS to make it work?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@category5x, You can try a different brand with same VRAM brand and see if that would work. Gigabyte, PowerColor, and ASUS are some other choices.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 15" ASUS TUF Dash F15 [11th,4C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 // my 3rd RTX 3080 build [build link]  

ReplyQuote