Warning: No support for High Sierra with TB2>TB3 adapter?

Notifications
Clear all

Warning: No support for High Sierra with TB2>TB3 adapter?  

of  4
  RSS

daniel@hypnorama.se
(@hypnodan)

I'm a little bit surprised I haven't found any posts on this topic.

It seems Apple has dropped support for TB2 in High Sierra and I know at least one other egpu-user that has encountered the same problem as me (link to thread).

I have a 2013 15" MBP with TB2 and an AkiTio Node TB3, and have tried MSI RX580 and Sapphire RX580 Nitro+, and have been unable to use the cards on external screen. (Metal acceleration on internal screen works when no external display is connected to the card).

So this is just a warning to you guys out there trying to make a build like this!

Does anyone have a clue on how to fix this? Buy new computer?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Dennis Rumstein
(@dennis_rumstein)

On my MBP 2012 15" (not retina) it works, im using the Akitio Node TB3 with an GTX 1050TI. But only one display works in 60Hz. I ordered an RX460 4GB, and i hope this will fix the issue.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Chippy McChipset
(@chippy-mcchipset)
Reputable Member

Hard to know exactly what Apple's policy is right now but the trend seems to be that a decreasing number of configurations work with this adapter. Sonnet's language on this matter may be instructive for eGPU users in general — even though you're using another company's product. Based on the model you have, you might well be out of luck.

---------

"Check that you have a Macintosh compatible with select external AMD Graphics cards. All Thunderbolt 3 Macs (latest MacBook Pros and iMacs) are compatible with external graphics.This includes:
• iMacs 2017 models 18,1-18,3 Compatible
MacBook Pro 2016 models 13,1-13,3 Compatible
MacBook Pro 2017 models 14,1-14,3 Compatible

As of macOS 10.13.1, most Thunderbolt 2 and Thunderbolt Macs are compatible with select external AMD graphics cards. With a Thunderbolt 2 cable and an Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 3 Adapter, Sonnet additionally supports the following Thunderbolt 2 or Thunderbolt Macs. (This Adapter is reversable and will also work from a Thunderbolt 2 Mac to a Thunderbolt 3 peripheral.)

iMac (with Intel or AMD Graphics) Late 2013-Late 2015 14,1-17,1 Compatible
iMac (with NVIDIA Graphics) Late 2012-Late 2013 13,1-14,2 Incompatible
Mac mini (with Intel Graphics) Mid 2011-Late 2015 5,1- 7,1 Compatible
Mac mini (with AMD HD 6630M Graphics) Mid 2011 5,1- 5,2 Incompatible
Mac Pro Late 2013 6,1 Incompatible
MacBook Pro (with Intel or AMD Graphics) Early 2011-Early 2015 8,1-12,1 Compatible
MacBook Pro (with NVIDA Graphics) Mid 2012-Late 2013 9,2-11,2 Incompatible"

(bold emphasis mine)

Bring peace to your computing life: stop trying to understand Apple.

ReplyQuote
Tim Irvin
(@ziggy029)

I think there might still be some quirks with specific combinations.  For what it's worth, I am using TB1 with a Late 2012 Mac Mini with a Mantiz Venus and a Gigabyte RX580 and it works great. This same machine and eGPU enclosure also worked well under Sierra 10.12.6 and a GTX 1050TI.  I think certain models are more problematic than the others.  

I can't remember if that model of 2013 MBP is one of the ones that have been difficult, but it may have been that one.  Hopefully someone with a better recollection can chime in.

ReplyQuote
Koopa
(@koopa)

I guess you have a MPB with an Nvidia GPU. 

Currently only Nvidia eGPUs are working on macOS and only AMD eGPUs are working on Windows for this model.

For further information read this thread

ReplyQuote
daniel@hypnorama.se
(@hypnodan)

Posted by: Koopa

Currently only Nvidia eGPUs are working on macOS and only AMD eGPUs are working on Windows for this model.

Thank you, this was a very valuable thread indeed. Of course my main problem is my MBP 2013 having a NVIDIA gpu inside.

ReplyQuote
kuuldor
(@kuuldor)

Posted by: Koopa

I have a rMBP with nv 750m. I managed to make Sonnet Breakaway/RX 580 working on both macOS Sierra and Windows 10 Fall Creators.

ReplyQuote
Flint Ironstag
(@flint-ironstag)
Estimable Member

Posted by: Chippy McChipset

Hard to know exactly what Apple's policy is right now but the trend seems to be that a decreasing number of configurations work with this adapter. Sonnet's language on this matter may be instructive for eGPU users in general — even though you're using another company's product. Based on the model you have, you might well be out of luck.

---------

"Check that you have a Macintosh compatible with select external AMD Graphics cards. All Thunderbolt 3 Macs (latest MacBook Pros and iMacs) are compatible with external graphics.This includes:
• iMacs 2017 models 18,1-18,3 Compatible
MacBook Pro 2016 models 13,1-13,3 Compatible
MacBook Pro 2017 models 14,1-14,3 Compatible

As of macOS 10.13.1, most Thunderbolt 2 and Thunderbolt Macs are compatible with select external AMD graphics cards. With a Thunderbolt 2 cable and an Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 3 Adapter, Sonnet additionally supports the following Thunderbolt 2 or Thunderbolt Macs. (This Adapter is reversable and will also work from a Thunderbolt 2 Mac to a Thunderbolt 3 peripheral.)

iMac (with Intel or AMD Graphics) Late 2013-Late 2015 14,1-17,1 Compatible
iMac (with NVIDIA Graphics) Late 2012-Late 2013 13,1-14,2 Incompatible
Mac mini (with Intel Graphics) Mid 2011-Late 2015 5,1- 7,1 Compatible
Mac mini (with AMD HD 6630M Graphics) Mid 2011 5,1- 5,2 Incompatible
Mac Pro Late 2013 6,1 Incompatible
MacBook Pro (with Intel or AMD Graphics) Early 2011-Early 2015 8,1-12,1 Compatible
MacBook Pro (with NVIDA Graphics) Mid 2012-Late 2013 9,2-11,2 Incompatible"

(bold emphasis mine)

This 6,1 on the incompatible list is an annoyance.  You folks remember when The MP 3,1 was announced, and the GPUs were incompatible with the the previous MPs?  Same thing will happen; the existing user base will make a massive noise (disproportionate to their numbers), and Apple will fix the problem.  Apple has the resources to preempt this; it would be colossally stupid to further alienate their Pro buyers with a(nother) kick in the gonads.  The likelihood of a class action lawsuit is high, if this happens.

I'm not concerned for myself; there are other ways to get eGPU on nMP, even if it's not called that.  But every single Mac Pro user should be monitoring this situation.  It's bad enough Intel has been demonstrating eGPU for so long, and for Apple to have denied it to us all this time.  Now they want to tell the owners of their (still) flagship system that they are excluded from official eGPU support?

Reckon it'll sort itself out by Spring 2018.  But their answer better not be "buy a new Mac Pro because we can't make eGPU work on 6,1".

MP 6,1 | 4c | d700
MP 6,1 | 6c | d500

ReplyQuote
SheldonTung
(@sheldontung)

ReplyQuote
LowKnee
(@lowknee)

I have an error AFTER updating to macOS 10.13.2 (17C88).

MacBookPro 11,5 (2015)with AMD Radeon R9 M370X and Intel Iris Pro 5200, TB2, running macOS 10.13.2 (17C88)
Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 550, GPU-550W-TB3
Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Nitro+ 11265-21-20G 8GB graphics card
Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 adapter

When I had macOS 10.13.1 running on my MBP everything worked excellent!

After installing macOS 10.13.2 (17C88)
- rebooting and reaching the login screen
- the display connected to the eGFX started going black then red and black red red etc.
- the MBP display got darker and unsharp and I was not able to click on anything
- the MBP fans started blowing louder and louder

When I disconnected the display connected to the eGFX the system went back to normal.
- the MBP fans went slower, back to 'normal'
- the MBP display lightened up and I was able to login

I checked the status to the connected eGFX, everything seemed to be OK.

After I connected the display again to the eGFX while being logged in
- the MBP fans started blowing louder and louder
- the display connected to the eGFX started going black then red and black red red etc.
- the MBP display went black and a kernal panic screen appeared
- I disconnected the eGFX display again and restarted the MBP
- after the reboot the MBP seemed to be OK

I connected the eGFX incl. connected display to my MacBook Air 2012 (TB2) with 10.13.1 and everything worked excellent.

I tried a couple of other things with the eGFX and the MBP but nothing worked.

Anyone having the same issue after updating to macOS 10.13.2?

ReplyQuote
 of  4