which egpu are the most compatible with a MacBook pro earlier 2013, working with...

Notifications
Clear all

which egpu are the most compatible with a MacBook pro earlier 2013, working with OSX and windows  

RSS

Daniel emba
(@daniel-emba)

hi there, can anybody tell me which of the egpu on the market are the most compatible with a mac book pro earlier 2013? working on OSX and bootcamp windows. if they can conect directly to any software that use the grapich card to work like vvvv, octane etc.

thanks

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Can you share the specifics on your Early 2013 MacBook Pro? The go-to eGPU enclosure atm is AKiTiO Node due to price and availability.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Daniel emba
(@daniel-emba)

@itsage thank for your answer, i put the specifics below. can i use the akitio node due, with bootcamp windows too? which graphic card is the most compatible whit this specs?

Captura de pantalla 2017 05 30 a las 2.32.29 p.m.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

I'd recommend a GTX 1060 with the AKiTiO Node. Read our eGPU setup guide for Mac for the step-by-step.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Daniel emba
(@daniel-emba)

This combo works with Bootcamp windows?

ReplyQuote
jdc3
 jdc3
(@jdc3)
Eminent Member

I have a mid-2015 MBP connected TB2>TB3 to an Akitio Node and a 1080 Ti and it works great.  Had lots of issues with my Razer Core, which I use on a Dell 7710.  It would work on maybe 1 out of 20 restarts.  Frustrating.  @goalque mentioned it has something to due with the PD controller that Razer uses. Something about the TI82 USB-C controller that the Mac drivers just don't like.  Had precisely zero issues with my Node. Left image is the Iris with the Retina display, right is the 1080 Ti running on an external Dell monitor.

Screen Shot 2017 06 01 at 8.29.02 PM
Screen Shot 2017 06 01 at 8.28.37 PM

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@Daniel: You have an NVIDIA discrete GPU that sometimes complicates the eGPU process. You should probably go over these guides:

Some additional reading:

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/help-mbpr-cant-recognize-my-egpu-even-after-driver-installation/ - See my post full of links there.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Daniel emba
(@daniel-emba)

Thaks @mac_editor this info is very good

@jdc3 what is the operating system thtat you are running on mac? it runs on windows

ReplyQuote
jdc3
 jdc3
(@jdc3)
Eminent Member

On the mac side it's Sierra 10.12.5. The core works fine on my Dell 7710 running win 10. But I still can't get it to recognize the Core on the mac even in Bootcamp with win 10. Bootcamp does recognize the Node and I can use the mac running win 10 as well as Sierra. Not sure what the recently announced eGPU support will do but @goalque pointed out the issue with the PD controller in the TI82 not being compatible with the mac drivers.  It has to be at the BIOS level when the Thunderbolt port is configured since it affects both Bootcamp and Sierra.

ReplyQuote