Notifications
Clear all

Which RX480 variant?  

of  3
  RSS

Anchoricex
(@anchoricex)
Trusted Member

Hi, thinking of picking up an RX480 for some testing to go with my Akitio Node and 2016 Macbook Pro 15". 

Which variant of the RX480 works best with MacOS? Or are they all good to go? ASUS? MSI? 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

I'd stay away from XFX cards. Sapphire and Gigabyte cards have good compatibility with macOS.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Anchoricex
(@anchoricex)
Trusted Member

Holy crap I totally just ordered an XFX card. Can you dive into what kinds of issues the XFX has that the Sapphire/Gigabytes don't? I was reading an RX480 thread at tonymacx86 and it was the most recommended variant. In fact much of the advice there seemed pretty polar opposite to what you're suggesting. 

For the record my most used software will be FCPX (apparently there are workarounds that fix the crashing issues now) and DaVinci Resolve. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member

In my experience RX 480 have many boot problems on macOS... get Nvidia instead.

MacBook Pro 13" 2020 Touch Bar M1 8-core CPU 8-core GPU - 16GB unified memory - 512GB PCIe SSD
MacBook Pro 13" 2020 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.3Ghz - 16GB RAM - 1TB PCIe SSD

my awesome Radeon VII eGPU
my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15 [build link]  

kukkis liked
ReplyQuote
Anchoricex
(@anchoricex)
Trusted Member

Already have an nVidia card on the way, wanted to diddle with the RX480 as well and compare. Can you elaborate on the boot problems?

ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member

I don't have any experience with MacOS, but just wanted to put my 2 cents in and say my MSI 480 Gaming X has been working perfectly under Win 7. It runs stable and cool with a modest overclock. I like that the fans turn off completely under 60C.

Originally planned to get Sapphire NITRO card, but reviews aren't that great. A lot of people have to under-clock to keep it stable.

2011 17" HP ENVY 17t-2100 [2nd,4C,Q] + GTX 1050 Ti @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win7 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Daelin
(@daelin)
Trusted Member

i have the MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8G as well, and it is working perfectly fine with macOS and windows in a PowerColor Devil Box. i never experienced any boot problems, it is super silent and fast Smile

@ikir: maybe the amd cards are not working flawlessly with the thunder 3 since it does not support gpus officially?

MacBook Pro 15" 2017, AMD RP560
Devil Box + MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

Bricked thanks to rEFInd:
MacBook Pro 15" Late 2013, GT 750M

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (PowerColor Devil Box) + macOS 10.13.3 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
kukkis
(@kukkis)
Trusted Member

@Daelin: Which macOS version and mac do you have RX480 working? I have Sapphire RX 470 8Gb nitro+ and it stuck on boot when mounted in Thunder3 and connected to 2016 MBP TB3 port.  RX470 in Thunder2 worked with OpenGL but not with OpenCL and FCPX crashed on macOS 10.12.3 and fcpx 10.3.x.

2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + GTX 980 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Thunder3) + macOS 10.12 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member

Could the boot problems have anything to do with legacy boot compatibility? I know that the Sapphire cards only support UEFI while MSI supports both UEFI and legacy.

2011 17" HP ENVY 17t-2100 [2nd,4C,Q] + GTX 1050 Ti @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win7 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Anchoricex
(@anchoricex)
Trusted Member

Interesting thanks for sharing. For those of you who are using the MSI card, outside of goalque's instructions did you have to do any additional tweaking to make things work? 

And @Daelin, I'm assuming you're on OS Sierra 10.12.3 ?

My primary concern is FCPX, which from what I've read, crashes for some people using RX480's. But some folks over on Tonymac have sorted the problem out, apparently it has something to do with power management profiles. 

In the meantime I was able to cancel my XFX rx480 order before it shipped wooo.

ReplyQuote
 of  3