Notifications
Clear all

Which RX480 variant?  

of  3
  RSS

kukkis
(@kukkis)
Trusted Member

@Ikir: Which GTX980 do you have and how it performs in Valley compared to RX480 and GTX780 Ti? I have MSI GTX970 Gaming 4Gb and it seems to work perfectly, also in FCPX and with Dell DA-2. Was wondering if GTX980 would give even more boost? One thing which I noticed that in FCPX GTX970 increases performance in timeline rendering a lot but in exporting iGPU with Intel quick sync is much more efficient.

2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + GTX 980 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Thunder3) + macOS 10.12 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

Posted by: ikir

Posted by: Anchoricex

Already have an nVidia card on the way, wanted to diddle with the RX480 as well and compare. Can you elaborate on the boot problems?

There are issue with 10.2.3 and Radeon, i managed to boot 1/10 a nightmare, instead with GTX 980 it runs perfectly. I really suggest to everyone who plan to use eGPU on macOS to use Nvidia GTX, performance are also OVER THE TOP compared to Radeon.

Compare my 2 eGPU setup:

Radeon Nitro+ RX 480  https://egpu.io/forums/builds/macbook-pro-13-2016-touchbar-with-akitio-thunder3-radeon-rx480-work-in-progress/

Nvidia GTX 780 Ti  https://egpu.io/forums/builds/late-2016-13-mbp-gtx780-ti32gbps-tb3-akitio-thunder3-macos-10-12-3-ikir/

Same setup in valley  4k

RX 480 22,4 fps   -   GTX 780 Ti  42,7 fps

Well i dunno, maybe compatibility issue between mac and AMD drivers or with the enclosure. Because your scores on valley on a external with a RX480 are really low! The one with the 780Ti goes along his compute power on valley.

1080p Extreme HD preset, i got 1200pts with a R9 270 on external, 1700pts without AA. Dell i7.

2012 13-inch Dell Latitude E6320 + R9 270X@4Gbps-mPCIe (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10
E=Mc²

2012 15" Lenovo ThinkPad T530 [2nd,4C,Q] + R9 270X @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Anchoricex
(@anchoricex)
Trusted Member

There is a post towards the end of this thread detailing a fix for FCPX and an AMD RX470 card on a Mac Mini which includes backing up and deleting an Intel HD 4000 file (which I'm assuming would have to be put back when not using FCPX). 

Any of you guys running an RX480 reckon this would be possible on a Macbook running an RX480 thru an eGPU? I really think that if an FCPX workaround comes to light, the appeal of eGPU's and Macs will rise by quite a bit, you'll certainly have the attention of movie editors who aren't looking to upgrade their entire systems yet. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Barni
(@barni)
Eminent Member

Posted by: Anchoricex

There is a post towards the end of this thread detailing a fix for FCPX and an AMD RX470 card on a Mac Mini which includes backing up and deleting an Intel HD 4000 file (which I'm assuming would have to be put back when not using FCPX). 

Any of you guys running an RX480 reckon this would be possible on a Macbook running an RX480 thru an eGPU? I really think that if an FCPX workaround comes to light, the appeal of eGPU's and Macs will rise by quite a bit, you'll certainly have the attention of movie editors who aren't looking to upgrade their entire systems yet. 

I wrote the post you mentioned and i do not know why i should switch back the HD 4000 files?

My Mac mini 2012 is able to boot directly with the RX 470 card. I have no other monitor attached as my new Dell P2715Q and i am able to run all programs and switch through all resolutions (4K for editing videos and Full HD for texting)

But i will keep you informed if i encounter any issues...

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Anchoricex
(@anchoricex)
Trusted Member

In the case of the MacBook, removing the file permanently would probably disable graphics switching and if the laptop doesn't have a dedicated GPU when not running the egpu, could be bad news. In your case with the Mac mini you're probably running the GPU at all times so reverting anything you did to get fcpx to work probably isn't necessary and thus have no more need for the Intel HD4000 stuff. For MacBooks, when running on battery away from a docked desktop setup, graphics switching is important for battery life. For MacBooks without dgpu's, the Intel driver is the only graphics option and not having that could probably result in some serious problems.

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

There are different issues there, dunno if related. The fact that the card does not boot along the mac/laptop, depending witch AIB/pcb it had . The fact that the performances on mac are poor compared to the nvdia counterpart cards, especially on an external display. The fact that mac os, like windows, force the intel HD as only display adapter even with the eGPU connected, dGPU off.

The intel HD issue is not relevant only on mac, but on all laptop. Since a mac share the same hardware/electronics don't forgot it, the logic board itself is wisely custom, engineered, compact than an usual cheap window laptop. So i had issues with the intel HD too on my laptop if i wanted to use the internal display. However when the external display is engaged the AMD eGPU give the full acceleration to the programs with good performances scaling over the pci-e link, 1x2.0.

The issue happen when the board or window, in my case, nor use nor boot my eGPU clock with the internal display even if it could! On mac it seems the same, the intel HD is forced even with the eGPU enable.

So at the end it only matter to force your programs to use the eGPU instead of the intel HD, since on a basic computer there should not be any problem to run with only one display adapter, especially if using an external display. This could be done i think software side by disabling/enabling the intel HD from the system like Barni did or force your program to be engaged with the eGPU meanwhile using the intel HD in background managing your main desktop display.

The last option is what happen on my dell when using the internal, i force the program to be engaged with the eGPU windowed using a dummy display, but still have my main desktop accelerated by the intel HD. So the bad performances could also came from the fact that there is conflict issue between the screen acceleration and the program acceleration when running iGPU+eGPU.

Could it be that two display signal are sent to the LCD screen lowering the AMD eGPU performances, meanwhile on nvdia counterpart cards this transition is done smoothly cutting the intel HD?

2012 13-inch Dell Latitude E6320 + R9 270X@4Gbps-mPCIe (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10
E=Mc²

2012 15" Lenovo ThinkPad T530 [2nd,4C,Q] + R9 270X @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  3