Will Mac Mini 2018 with 5700 xt have wake up/boot issues without using boot camp...

Notifications
Clear all

Will Mac Mini 2018 with 5700 xt have wake up/boot issues without using boot camp?  

RSS

chenyangh
(@chenyangh)

I recently got a Mac mini (i7 8700b + 32G Ram) and very happy with it. I am currently connecting it to three monitors (4k * 1 + 2.5k * 2), and it is somehow slow on the 4k monitor. So I thought of returning it to get a mac pro which comes with a dedicated GPU, but I think I better off getting an eGPU after looking at the price. Smile  

My current plan is to add a Razer Core X chroma + 5700 XT (PowerColor Red Devi, which comes with 3 DP ports). I did my research and found many people complained about having problems with Boot Camp. However, I am not interested in getting a Windows on this machine. Will that give me a seamless experience if I stick with Mac OS only? In addition, I rarely turned off the Mac, I just hope there is no problem with sleeping and waking up. My plan is to connect all three monitors to the eGPU all the time through DP ports (as I also see some mentioned problems with HDMI).

Thanks in advance.

Mac Mini (2018, i7, 32GB)
Razer core x chroma
Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Reputable Member

@chenyangh

The Mini is a workhorse. I keep my setup running for days at a time without issue.

You will want to completely turn off Mac OS Catalina's sleep function (due to a very bad bug) in Energy Saver under System Preferences. Allow the Mac screen saver to run instead.

Energy Saver

Also consider the Sapphire Nitro + instead of the Red Devil, if you need an overclocked card. 

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.6 Catalina / Windows 2004 😏 / Dual LG 27" 4K displays

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
chenyangh
(@chenyangh)

Hello, @mini-i5. Thanks for the reply. I heard good news on the 10.15.6 which rolled out today and the future big sur seems to fix the egpu issues even better. Maybe I will just wait for a while to get the update. 

Razer core x chroma
Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 XT

Mini i5 liked
ReplyQuote
chenyangh
(@chenyangh)

@mini-i5, In fact, I just put an order. I will figure out how to make it work and post my build. For GPU I still chose the Red Devi and it has a very low noise level.I

Razer core x chroma
Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Reputable Member

@chenyangh

Sounds good. 10.15.6 has been very stable so far. No glitches at all. 

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.6 Catalina / Windows 2004 😏 / Dual LG 27" 4K displays

ReplyQuote
krice bvba
(@krice_bvba)

@Chenyangh,

My experience so far. If I find solutions, I'll update.

Good luck and I'm looking forward to your experience since you ordered

MBP 13(i7-32Gb-512Gb)
Mac Mini(i7-32Gb-512Gb)
Razer Core X - MSI RX5700 8GB

ReplyQuote