[APP] NVIDIA eGPU support for High Sierra (NVIDIAEGPUSupport)

Notifications
Clear all

[APP] NVIDIA eGPU support for High Sierra (NVIDIAEGPUSupport)  

of  199
  RSS

Chippy McChipset
(@chippy-mcchipset)
Reputable Member

Benjamin: thanks for your work on simplifying the process. Look forward to trying out the new process once everything is signed, etc.

Thunderbolt 3 Macs, Sonnet and OWC eGPUs, 4K Displays, etc

ReplyQuote
Max.L
(@max-l)

Hi, I tried @benjamin-dobell 's script. The webdriver has been successfully installed onto my late13MBP. Thanks :). However the egpu(Nvidia Geforce 1080Ti) can not be detected if I plug in egpu after log in, freeze or black screen if I plug it in before the log in. Does anyone know the solution or anyone has succeeded setting it up? Many thanks!  

The late 2013 15' MBP is on 10.13.13, with Sonnet breakaway box and Nvidia Geforce 1080Ti

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
ICULikeMac
(@iculikemac)
Estimable Member

@Benjamin Dobell Thank you very much! Look forward to trying out the new process once everything is signed too! 

2019 Razer Blade Stealth GTX1650 Win10
Aorus Gaming Box RTX 2070
Asus XG Station Pro (RX570 8GB + RTX 2080)

ReplyQuote
dan0ne
(@dan0ne)

Hey there, I have some Problems with my MacBook Pro and my HP Omen Accelerator...

I have follow the installation guide from site 1. with driver *.*.156
With that Driver and Installation, everything works but without any HWAcceleration. All actions on my Second Display hangs and are very slow!

After that I try to find a Fix in this Forum and tried out  Benjamin Dobell's "Magical-Tool". It Installs the Driver *.*.106 with OS Patch and Nvidia control panel  but  this let my second display go black. Only my Mouse is visible on the second screen and the Performance on Macbook Display are very low.

So I went back to the *.*.156 Driver with "webdriver.sh script" everything is visible but with low low performance on second Display.

My last try was to install driver version *.*.104  with "webdriver.sh script" (like in Troubbleshooting say) and Patch it to my OS Version.

With no success, the second display went back to black (like in *.*.106) and only my mouse is visible on that display.

Please, is there a fix for me... What can I try?

Here are my Hardware Specs:
MacBook OS (10.13.3 17D47)
MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650

eGPU:
Chipsatz-Modell: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
Typ: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe-Lane-Breite: x4
VRAM (gesamt): 2 GB
Hersteller: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Geräte-ID: 0x1184
Versions-ID: 0x00a2
ROM-Version: VBIOS 80.04.c3.00.14
Metal: Unterstützt, Funktionsset macOS GPUFamily1 v3

Thunderbolt Bus-0:
GA1-10-Accelerator:
Herstellername: HP
Gerätename: GA1-10-Accelerator
Hersteller-ID: 0xF0
Geräte-ID: 0xA66
Geräterevision: 0x1
UID: 0x00F05FB13009F100
Routenzeichenfolge: 3
Firmware-Version: 25,25
Port (Upstream):
Verbindungsstatus: 0x2
Geschwindigkeit: Bis zu 40 Gbit/s x1
Aktuelle Link-Breite: 0x2
Firmware Version des Link-Controller: 0.36.0

I have also tried to install the accelerator on my windows Bootcamp but here windows freezz immediately when plug in my HP Omen.

But first I want my GTX770 working on may MacOS... after that I try Bootcamp again. 

Sorry for my bad english.. its not my first language.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Mike Coluzzi
(@mike_coluzzi)

Currently running into problems after updating to 10.3.3 

Current Build: 

macOS High Sierra 10.3.3 (17D47)
Macbook Pro 4TB3 2017 Intel HD 630 + Radeon Pro 560

eGPU:

Akitio Node w/ EVGA Nvidia 980Ti 

I have updated the drivers to .156 as well as v6 of the eGPU Drivers.

I have always needed to login, attached the eGPU, log back out and in again to get it to work. Now when I do this on 1 of my 2 external monitors I get a spinning wheel(Like the computer is shutting down) and then it freezes and the internal display remains blank with backlight. I attempted to follow the recommended steps and downgrade to .104 using the webdriver.sh and after I performed this step my graphics card was not seen at all. After upgrading back to .156 I am experiencing the same issue as before with the spinning wheel. 

Hoping someone may have found a fix for this?

Update: Was able to fix with @Benjamin Dobell's script above! Thank you.

I’ve put together a script that will automatically roll-back your drivers to 378.10.10.10.25.106. It’s as simple as entering the following line in a terminal:

bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Benjamin-Dobell/nvidia-update/master/nvidia-update.sh)

It’ll automatically download the drivers and patch them so they can run on 10.13.3. No need to futz around disabling SIP or anything like that, it uses nVidia’s official drivers and packages and does the absolute minimal patching necessary to ensure the drivers run on your current OS version.

More details are available at:

https://github.com/Benjamin-Dobell/nvidia-update

ReplyQuote
jmartin
(@jmartin)

I've got it 99% working on my MacBook Pro 2017 15inch with Radeon Pro 560. I am using an Akitio node pro with a Nvidia GeForce GTX 780. I can plug my eGPU in while the system is completely off, booting into Mac OS with no issues (No logging in or out necessary). There are a few graphical glitches on the MacBook screen that go away after a few seconds. The only issue I am encountering is that when I shut down my MacBook Pro, the next time I boot up I receive the "Your system don't shut down properly the last time screen". Nothing I have tried resolves this. Has anyone else encountered this? Correct me if I am wrong (I haven't read through all 30 pages of this thread), but I am one of the few who have gotten it working without logging on the 2017 MacBook Pro 15 inch. If it helps at all, I am fully up to date. The left and right side top Thunderbolt 3 works for the eGPU (haven't tried any other ones). 

Also, for completeness, Windows 10 works almost flawlessly with it. I used to get an error in device manager (code 43 or something like that). That seems to have ceased after windows updates. I can have it plugged in while off or hot plug it. The only issue I seem to have is that my system fully crashes when I plug in my USB C apple multi USB adapter (even with nothing plugged into it). This needs to be plugged in at start up in the right side bottom USB C port.

ReplyQuote
ICULikeMac
(@iculikemac)
Estimable Member

I've also got it running 99% my MacBook Pro 2017 15inch with Radeon Pro 560 & AORUS 1070. Bootcamp & HS 10.13.3.

My only issue is Final Cut will not launch 🙁 Any advise?

Thank you again to all involved in making this possible!

2019 Razer Blade Stealth GTX1650 Win10
Aorus Gaming Box RTX 2070
Asus XG Station Pro (RX570 8GB + RTX 2080)

ReplyQuote
czyzczyz
(@czyzczyz)

Thanks for this script -- with it I've finally got a GTX 1080 TI in a Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 550W to actually show up. Unfortunately I've had no luck getting any of the video outputs on the card to recognize and display anything on an external monitor. This is on a 2013 Mac Pro with D700.

macOS 10.13.3 (17D47)
NVIDIA Web Driver: 387.10.10.10.25.156
NVDAEGPUSupport-v6.pkg

It's worth noting that after doing the strange dance of boot, plug in eGPU, logout, power-on eGPU, wait, and try to logon -- I'm met with the little spinning color wheel mouse cursor for a while while the system sorts everything out, then it just sits there frozen at the login screen. Each time I've screen shared in from a laptop and as soon as I start logging in the system seemingly unfreezes. It's possible that this is just a timing issue and it would have become responsive again regardless.

Once it lets me into the system, I can see the following in System Information under Graphics:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti:
  Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
  Type: GPU
  Bus: PCIe
  PCIe Lane Width: x4
  VRAM (Total): 11 GB
  Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
  Device ID: 0x1b06
  Revision ID: 0x00a1
  ROM Revision: VBIOS 86.02.40.00.1b
  Automatic Graphics Switching: Supported
  gMux Version: 4.0.11 [3.2.8]
  Metal: Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily1 v3

So that's a win at least (before running NVDAEGPUSupport-v6.pkg, the card was never identified nor was it noticed by the CUDA extension -- now I get actual acceleration in Blender).

I'd love to actually get the video outputs to function, but have no ideas. I've tried the 'detect' button in the Display Preferences, but nothing happens. I've tried HDMI, Displayport, and DVI outputs. I've tried plugging and unplugging the display cables. I've tried multiple displays. It's as if I've got a card that's fine for CUDA but has no working video outputs. I read through this thread and didn't notice anyone else with this problem (I don't get a cursor on an external screen plugged into this card -- I get no signal), but it's possible it's there and I just missed it.

Thanks to all who made it possible to get this far. I'm feeling positive about the prospects of getting this working since everyone else seems to be having success.

ReplyQuote
czyzczyz
(@czyzczyz)

FWIW, I know the card and its video outputs work just fine as it's fully functional when I pop it into my PC.

ReplyQuote
verichip
(@verichip)

For the AORUS Gaming Box (GTX 1070) and MBP 15" 2017 on macOS High Sierra 10.3.3, I have gotten the box to be recognized by macOS by:

1. Boot up without the card attached
  2. When the login screen shows up, attach the AORUS gaming box
  3. The computer will take a little bit to recognize the eGPU and turn on the external screens
  4. Log in as usual

This eliminates the need to log in and out if you're just starting the computer, but if you're already logged in, you will need to log out and back in for the eGPU to be recognized.

2017 15" Macbook Pro Touchbar (Radeon Pro 555), Gigabyte AORUS Gaming Box (GTX 1070)

ReplyQuote
 of  199