[APP] NVIDIA eGPU support for High Sierra (NVIDIAEGPUSupport)

Notifications
Clear all

[APP] NVIDIA eGPU support for High Sierra (NVIDIAEGPUSupport)  

of  199
  RSS

devild
(@devild)
Trusted Member

@plutoforplanet
Here you are.

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.

ReplyQuote
plutoforplanet
(@plutoforplanet)

Thank you @devild!
Now my TitanXp is detected, but the monitor connected to it is dark.  I suspect that for 17D2104 the nVidia driver also needs to be updated, however, it is not (yet?) available. 

To summarize, my current configuration is:
iMac Pro
High Sierra 13.3.3 patched 17D2104
Akitio Node Pro
Nvidia Titan Xp
NVDAEGPUSupport-iMacPro-2104
nVidia driver 159 (installed at 17D2102, before the patch to 17D2104)

OS-X: eGPU graphics NOT working.  CUDA appears to be working but transfers to eGPU slowed down.
When I try to install another driver version (including re-installing 159), I get a message that it's not compatible.
 Will need to wait for new nVidia driver.

Bootcamp (only Windows 10 supported): Can connect eGPU and boot up into functioning system with eGPU graphics and CUDA working.  
Observations: Bootcamp utilities only available without eGPU connected.  Sound to international iMac speakers sounds horrible. 

Conclusion: no working solution for iMac Pro on 17D2104 (except in Bootcamp).

@devild, if I ever need to uninstall the NVDAEGPUSupport, or an nVidia driver, how do I do that?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
devild
(@devild)
Trusted Member

@plutoforplanet, use one of two scripts from this thread for correct drivers' installation.

For NVDAEGPUSupport:
Delete NVDAEGPUSupport.kext from Library/Extensions folder
Clean the Trash
Open Terminal and run next command: sudo touch /Library/Extensions/ && sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/ && sudo kextcache -u /

For Nvidia Web drivers: open Nvidia Driver Manager panel and run Uninstaller.

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.

ReplyQuote
nnapior
(@nnapior)

Does anyone else experience "lag" or "small stutters" while using macOS 10.13.3 17D107 and driver .161. An example of this would be switching windows in macOS, or tabs in chrome, loading a new webpage in chrome, Pulling up the dock (I have my dock hidden), etc. 
Note: appears to be worse with cuda installed. DisableDisplay doesn't appear to help
My System: 2017 15" Macbook Pro with the radeon pro 560

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
randymills
(@randymills)

I was running a Titan XP in a Sonnet 550 Breakaway Box at work with a new iMac Pro and running a second monitor off of the Titan XP.  You have to boot up your iMac Pro with your eGPU off, then BEFORE logging in, power up your eGPU and wait for the screen to come on.  It worked for me consistently for weeks, let us know if this helps!

ReplyQuote
tgk
 tgk
(@tgk)

Hi guys,

Does anybody have any recommendations of where I should go from here?
I have a Gainward GTX 580 plugged into an Akitio Node Pro, connected to a 2017 MPB 15".

The GPU is showing in System Information as 'NVIDIA Chip Model' and CUDA in System Prefs seems to be running? Previously it said that it needed to be updated / that there was no GPU detected.

Thanks in advance for any help.

(Screenshots attached:  https://imgur.com/a/S7ETV)

ReplyQuote
imcalledandy
(@imcalledandy)
Estimable Member

Austinerino
Anyone having trouble actually turning off their computers? 2017 MBP with akitio node and whenever I try to shut down for the night, it always ends up rebooting. The only way I can make it stop looping is actually unplugging the eGPU, forcing my laptop to crash, and turning it off normally from there.

@Austinerino - I was just about to post the exact same thing - I'm having these issues with my MBP 15" TB and Akitio Node w/ EVGA 1080Ti When I shutdown, it goes into a reboot loop.

I'm running 10.13.3 and followed the method to install not necessarily the latest NVIDIA driver, but rather the one that best suited the system, so I'm on 378.10.10.10.25.106 and CUDA 387.99

2013 Mac Pro (FP D700 x2) [3rd,8C,E] + GTX 980 Ti x2 @ 16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.13.1 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Matt Johnson
(@matt_johnson)

Hi,

Just my luck.  My Aorus 1080 arrives.  I'm following the instructions, but the web drivers won't install?  I get the error that there are no drivers compatible with 17E182a?  I seem to be stuck as the NVDAEGPUSupportV7 then won't install.

What do I do?

ReplyQuote
Matt Johnson
(@matt_johnson)

Update:

MBP 13" with Touchbar
Aorus 1080
10.13.4 beta 5 ( 17E182a)

I think I did everything I could figure out from all the instructions (I read all 32 pages).  But my Aorus doesn't show up.  It is detected as connected under Thunderbolt settings.

- I used @benjamin-dobell script to get the web-drivers installed (even though my build is 17E182a).  I also used revision to set to the 104 driver based on what people have posted.

- I set the csrutil enable --without kext and installed NVDAEGPUSupport-v7.  It completed installation.  Restarted.

- Plugged in Aorus 1080.  Logged out, Logged in.  Nothing showed up.

-----
In full disclosure, I don't have a monitor plugged into the Aorus at the moment (as I don't have a monitor with me). But I do have a Fit Headless GS plugged into the HDMI port.
-----

Any suggestions?  I'm at a total loss now.

ReplyQuote
Steven Holms (superlinkx)
(@steven_holms_superlinkx)

I've had this issue ever since first using the script to enable my 750ti in a Razer Core on my 13in MacBook Pro. If you check Chrome's chrome://GPU, you'll probably see the internal graphics are being used for rendering, and then getting piped out through the eGPU to external displays, leading to worse performance than running displays through USB-C .

I've yet to see a resolution. There's no way to force GPU usage like on Windows, so I'm not sure there will be a real solution until nVidia is natively supported .

Edit: this was meant as a reply to @nnapior

Razer Blade 2019 4k
MacBook 13in 2017
Razer Core X with RX580

ReplyQuote
 of  199