[APP] NVIDIA eGPU support for High Sierra (NVIDIAEGPUSupport)

Notifications
Clear all

[APP] NVIDIA eGPU support for High Sierra (NVIDIAEGPUSupport)  

of  199
  RSS

fr34k
(@fr34k)
Reputable Member Moderator

Posted by: PastorDame
Posted by: goalque

Apple forces macOS updates to 10.13.4. If the kext from macOS 10.13.3 works, you can do as follows:

Hi @goalque and thank you for your work on this. I accidentally updated my system (2017 iMac) to 10.13.4 and started stepping through this process.  When I got to step 11 and 12, each line ended with either "Failed" or "Operation not permitted."

Any suggestions?

disable SIP completely

fr34k's macOS-eGPU.sh on GitHub or on eGPU.io

2016 15'' MacBook Pro + GTX1080Ti@32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + macOS 10.13.6 (17G65 driver: 378.10.10.10.30.107 + CUDA: 396.148)

ReplyQuote
fr34k
(@fr34k)
Reputable Member Moderator

@itsage
Will be investigated...

fr34k's macOS-eGPU.sh on GitHub or on eGPU.io

2016 15'' MacBook Pro + GTX1080Ti@32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + macOS 10.13.6 (17G65 driver: 378.10.10.10.30.107 + CUDA: 396.148)

ReplyQuote
Arthy
(@arthy)
Eminent Member

Hi @fr34k

Thanks for your great efforts on this.
I tried the script, install performed as expected on my MBP13 TB 2016.

I don't know if it will help you with improving the process, but here is what I encountered:
- Startup is significantly slower (time x2).
- The GPU disconnect tool on the task bar says « Disconnect: null ».
- The eGPU (1060 on Aorus) does not appear in « About » but does appear under SysRep in Graphics.
- Civilization VI only detects the iGPU in its settings.

Although the script helped with overall system detection, there seem to be some issues preventing effective use of the eGPU.
I will try again tonight making sure to plug-in before booting, as @itsage suggests.

Let me know if I can help with diagnostics and troubleshooting.

EDIT: I'm not using an external monitor so I can't help in that regard, unfortunately.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

fr34k liked
ReplyQuote
carabennemsi
(@carabennemsi)

I got 
curl: (7) Couldn't connect to server hdiutil: attach failed
for curl "https://appldnld.apple.com/macos/091-62781-20180122-E05AC734-FD4B-11E7-9470-89FAE74B5A3D/macOSUpdCombo10.13.3.dmg"
with @fr34k automated script.

Reason for this was little snitch, turned it off and it worked. So if anyone else runs into this issue, I hope it helps.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
B.Shakespeare
(@b-shakespeare)

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I have had some success with this package (V8) and a few steps in the Bizon Box 3 Installation manual on the following:
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)
MacOS 10.13.4
Bison Box 3 (AKiTiO Thunder3 PCIe Box)
Nvidia GTX 1080

ReplyQuote
corestudio
(@corestudio)

@arthy that's a pretty similar setup to what I have. I'm curious, even though the GPU disconnect tool doesn't show the name of your eGPU, does it work? i.e. are you able to disconnect the GPU using the menu bar?

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@corestudio I was not able to eject/disconnect the Nvidia eGPU. If you physically remove the TB3 cable macOS would crash.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 15" ASUS TUF Dash F15 [11th,4C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 // my 3rd RTX 3080 build [build link]  

ReplyQuote
corestudio
(@corestudio)

Posted by: itsage

@corestudio I was not able to eject/disconnect the Nvidia eGPU. If you physically remove the TB3 cable macOS would crash.

@itsage OK, got it. We have a few systems up and running on 10.13.3 so I'll probably just stay that way for now. That disconnect sure would be nice though.

ReplyQuote
corestudio
(@corestudio)

Posted by: itsage

@itsage OK, got it. We have a few systems up and running on 10.13.3 so I'll probably just stay that way for now. That disconnect sure would be nice though.

ReplyQuote
Keith Walls
(@keith_walls)
Eminent Member

@fr34k- it works on a MacBook Pro (2017, TB3, ) but the eGPU must be connected before booting for it to work properly. On this particular laptop, the internal screen goes dark and the eGPU-connected monitor becomes primary. All 3 graphics devices (2 internal, 1 external) show up. Thanks for developing the script!

ReplyQuote
 of  199