[APP] NVIDIA eGPU support for High Sierra (NVIDIAEGPUSupport)

Notifications
Clear all

[APP] NVIDIA eGPU support for High Sierra (NVIDIAEGPUSupport)  

of  199
  RSS

Arthy
(@arthy)
Eminent Member

@keith_walls does it work without external monitors at all?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Niklas Frick
(@soulwash)

@fr34k

So it would be on a 10.13.4 System the following steps to complete:

1.  https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/wip-nvidia-egpu-support-for-high-sierra/paged/41/#post-33831
2. Installation steps from  https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/wip-nvidia-egpu-support-for-high-sierra/paged/

anything else here? Sorry for not getting it but there is no real step-by-step manual for doing it on 10.13.4. That would be very nice if you could provide that (especially for "newbies" like me ;))

Thanks

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
fr34k
(@fr34k)
Reputable Member Moderator

@soulwash
you only need to follow 1. The script will install drivers, enabler, replace kext and rebuild the caches. Essentially everything to get eGPU from NVIDIA "kinda" working.
Allegedly CUDA works, you can drive 1 
monitor (either internal or external). It's not a real solution but it's the best for now. Well, in fact the best is downgrading to 10.13.3 but...

fr34k's macOS-eGPU.sh on GitHub or on eGPU.io

2016 15'' MacBook Pro + GTX1080Ti@32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + macOS 10.13.6 (17G65 driver: 378.10.10.10.30.107 + CUDA: 396.148)

ReplyQuote
lovejimbo
(@lovejimbo)

Just an update from me. I used the manual version of the solution that fr34k generously scripted and have things feeling almost native from my point of view!

My set up is macOS 10.13.4, 2017 MBP 15" Radeon 560, Sonnet Breakaway 550, gtx1080ti, LG27UD69P.

Currently I have the Sonnet Box connected to the Mac, the HDMI of the 1080ti going into the LG Monitor, then the Mac connected to the display port on the LG monitor. 

Things were working but a little erratic when using the 1080ti HDMI to drive the monitor, needing to plug the Sonnet box in after log in, and then log out and log back in again to get it to recognise the card and some black screen issues after the MacBook sleeps. It worked great, but was a little fussy with sleeping.

However, now I'm driving the external monitor with the Built in Radeon 560, whilst the 1080ti is connected to the monitor HDMI (but not set to the monitors active input) and things are working lovely.

Card recognised on boot, can be plug and played, sleep works properly and wakes properly. Adobe Creative Suite sees the CUDA support and flies, Octane render benches at 175 (slap bang in the middle of where the card should benchmark on a proper PCI slot), no crashes during a hard overnight render.

MacOS sees the situation as me having 3 monitors, built in, LG on HDMI, and LG on Display port - but it doesn't force me to have 3 desktops in the display manager, it just see's things as they should be, one built in and one on display port.

Granted, this might not be an ideal solution for those looking to game in OSX, but I'm sure most people doing this would just use Bootcamp for that (that works great too)...

For the rest of us looking to speed up our media production work or use CUDA based software - this works brilliantly so far Smile

ReplyQuote
Arthy
(@arthy)
Eminent Member

I have tried again with plugged-in before booting. The disconnect tool displays correctly the eGPU name, but the rest is unchanged: the eGPU appears in SysRep but not in about. The iGPU seems to be set as the default and games do not detect the eGPU.

Should I try uninstalling and re-installing?

ReplyQuote
corestudio
(@corestudio)

@lovejimbo thanks for the update. That's encouraging. Can you use the menu bar to unmount the GPU?

ReplyQuote
lovejimbo
(@lovejimbo)

Posted by: corestudio

@lovejimbo thanks for the update. That's encouraging. Can you use the menu bar to unmount the GPU?

Sure can - sometimes it names the card correctly and other times it just says "(null)" but it does the same thing regardless!

Only odd thing I've noticed is that the boot up into MacOS takes a bit longer (used to take 10 seconds, now it takes just under a minute) and if you do need to log out, it can take a minute or two to log you out and display the sign in page.

Not a real issue though, for the benefit of being able to power and make use of these cards Smile

However, if anyone (@fr34k) can think of why it might be taking a chunk longer to boot and log out, I'd be more than happy for a solution? :p

ReplyQuote
cansik
(@cansik)

Posted by: philw

Just for info... my situation is... if I boot with eGPU powered on I get black screens on my iMac 5k (Late 2014) + second monitor (via mDP direct to mac)... however if I hot-plug once logged in, although the eGPU says "null" rather than GTX 970, all is good and I can render in Redshift/Octane (which is all I want). Basically, I'm more than happy!

I have the exact same behaviour on my MacBook 15" Late 2016. If I startup with de eGPU attached, it is displayed correctly in the NVIDIA driver manager, otherwise it won't appear there.

ReplyQuote
Keith Walls
(@keith_walls)
Eminent Member

@Arthy, no, it does not work at all when the external monitor is unplugged, and only works intermittently on the external monitor when it IS plugged in. This hack may work for some, but it doesn't work with this hardware combination.

Arthy liked
ReplyQuote
Niklas Frick
(@soulwash)

@fr34k

ok thanks. It did not work 100% but at least a bit better. The external screen stayed black and only the cursor worked... also boot was incredibly slow. I try to downgrade if possible....

ReplyQuote
 of  199