[APP] NVIDIA eGPU support for High Sierra (NVIDIAEGPUSupport)

Notifications
Clear all

[APP] NVIDIA eGPU support for High Sierra (NVIDIAEGPUSupport)  

of  199
  RSS

CameoCream
(@cameocream)

@fr34k

Hi there.
I have posted my results from using your script with the Razer Core V1 and a 980ti. First I am going to explain how I installed it, as from the images below, it shows up in my system, but I have no external monitor available.

- I first installed the thunderbolt 3 unlocker suggested https://github.com/rgov/Thunderbolt3Unblocker
- Re enabled SIP
- Installed nvidia drivers
- Disabled SIP
- Ran your script.
(Should I re-enable SIP?)

You can see my system sees the GPU is there, and displays it correctly as a 980ti. But on the tray icon when I try to disconnect it, it shows it as null. I am however totally able to use cuda, as Premiere see it as a render accelerator - so it is working. I just don't have an external monitor working which sucks.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I am considering going out to buy a AMD gpu to avoid this headache, as now that I see my old Razer core will work I don't need to buy a new one of that!

Also running a benchmark in Valley, it says the GPU id is "GPU ID" soo there's that haha. Davinci Resolve also picks up the card perfectly fine, so it's almost there! Just need that external monitor to work!

Also, big thing here. The boot time... is sooooooooo long!!! Like it takes about 5 minutes to get to the sign in screen from a fresh boot.

System Report1
Premiere CUDA
No external Display

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

@CameoCream: did you see my previous post?

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/wip-nvidia-egpu-support-for-high-sierra/paged/48/#post-34881

This new finding is not released yet.

You should wait. We're working on the fix, and we have to test it comprehensively before the release. As said, stay tuned.

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi

Mid 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro eGPU Master Thread

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 1809 [build link]  

fr34k and ICULikeMac liked
ReplyQuote
Arthy
(@arthy)
Eminent Member

@goalque that looks amazing! When you say "no internal screen issues", do you mean you have been able to switch the eGPU to the internal monitor without the need for an external one or an HDMI head?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
ICULikeMac
(@iculikemac)
Estimable Member

Fantastic news guys - thank you so much!

2019 Razer Blade Stealth GTX1650 Win10
Aorus Gaming Box RTX 2070
Asus XG Station Pro (RX570 8GB + RTX 2080)

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

Posted by: Arthy

@goalque that looks amazing! When you say "no internal screen issues", do you mean you have been able to switch the eGPU to the internal monitor without the need for an external one or an HDMI head?

I meant those drawbacks using the kext replace method from 10.13.3 (black internal screen, slow startup for example). They are no issues anymore with this new workaround.

Acceleration on the internal screen depends on app developers.

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi

Mid 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro eGPU Master Thread

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 1809 [build link]  

protogon liked
ReplyQuote
Charly4
(@charly4)
Eminent Member

Bravo!!

Thank you guys, I cannot wait until using again the eGPU, since I updated to High Sierra I tried everything with weird results, I guess that my problem also comes by:

1- 2012 "Old" Macbook Retina with Thunderbolt 1
2- Macbook With iEGPU and dGPU in the past was always easier with just one graphic card in the Macbook
2- Old Akitio Thunder 2

Who knows..  Again if you need some beta testing just tell me guys.

Thank you!!

Macbook PRO 16" 2019 - 2,3 GHz i9 32GB - AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB
AMD RX590 8GB - Looking for a enclosure

Macbook PRO Retina 2012 15" (Intel HD 4000 + Nvidia Geforce GT 650M)
Akitio Thunder 2 + Nvidia 970 GTX

ReplyQuote
CameoCream
(@cameocream)

Posted by: goalque

@CameoCream: did you see my previous post?

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/wip-nvidia-egpu-support-for-high-sierra/paged/48/#post-34881

This new finding is not released yet.

You should wait. We're working on the fix, and we have to test it comprehensively before the release. As said, stay tuned.

Didn't see that, looking good though

goalque liked
ReplyQuote
CodeByte
(@codebyte)

No kext switching, no internal screen issues, fast startup, hot plugging, eGPU screen output.

Good news! Something about what I'd expected from Apple guys when they are releasing 10.13.4 Smile Ohh, dreams and reality... )

Macbook Pro 15' mid 2015 with AMD R9 M370X dGPU + Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080 Gaming Box eGPU on macOS High Sierra 10.13.4

goalque liked
ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member

No kext switching, no internal screen issues, fast startup, hot plugging, eGPU screen output.

A fraction of critical eGPU functionality is programmed by Apple. Because of conflicting kexts Nvidia cannot provide official eGPU support.

We can do our best. I've been on the sidelines for several months from using Nvidia cards due to the fact that native AMDs are future proof. A single change in the firmware or kernel extensions, and we have a deadlock again. The cat and mouse game is not over.

Thanks to @fr34k's huge contribution in investigating the kernel panic, I discovered a fix that brings native hot plugging with Nvidia cards closer than ever before, on macOS 10.13.4. Clicking on the "disconnect" menu item will close all eGPU apps automatically, and turns off the eGPU monitor. No system crash. Ironically, this worked with my TB2 MBP (applied @mac_editor's TB1/2 enabler). TB3 resulted in system crash.

Tested on a Late 2016 13" MBP non-touch and Mid 2015 15" MBP (M370X).

One more thing. Metal accelerated Rise of the Tomb Raider was butter smooth.

Stay tuned.

Oh, pretty nice!!
Are we having any ETA??

Cheers

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.13 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Keith Walls
(@keith_walls)
Eminent Member

@mize
No, I have not attempted to go to 10.13.4 with my iMac Pro. I use a MacBook Pro to test all upadates before upgrading the iMac. Good thing, too. If @goalque can get this working, I will try it out again on the MacBook Pro. Sad thing is, they will no sooner get it to work on 13.4 when Apple will release 13.5 and break everything again. So sad... Thank goodness for the smart guys running this site.

Mize liked
ReplyQuote
 of  199