[APP] NVIDIA eGPU support for High Sierra (NVIDIAEGPUSupport)

Notifications
Clear all

[APP] NVIDIA eGPU support for High Sierra (NVIDIAEGPUSupport)  

of  199
  RSS

BM ATX7
(@bm_atx7)

@gh3go

Hi gh3go,

I am new to this challenge of connecting an external gpu to my 2011 MBP that I have recently upgraded with current spec hardware. I noticed in the success list above you had mentioned that your eGPU housing was of the Sonnet varieties. May I ask, which model did you use?

I recently pulled the trigger on a Sonnet Echo Express 3-R thunder bolt 2 on Ebay and now that I fear that I will be unable to run a GPU PCIe card because the I am uncertain of the compatibility. It was one of those situations where I realized after the fact that video processing card is one thing vs an GPU pCIe being another. 

Here's the set up I have so far, 

2011 MBP (High Sierra 10.13.6)

• 16GB ram
  • i7 Processor
  • 1 TB ssd card (which is the dedicated OS card)
  • 2 tb HDD
  • 1 thunder bolt 2 port

I haven't really thought of what GPU card to get yet because at this point I dont even know if one will be compatible with https://www.sonnettech.com/product/echo-express-3r/overview.html

Any wisdom and/or guidence would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you,

B

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

The Sonnet Echo Express III-R only has one 6 pin PCIe power connector. Most graphics cards require an 8 pin or two 6 pin - you just need to add an additional power supply for those. I've used a Sonnet Echo Express III-D and  extra power supply with an eGPU.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
 of  199