YouTube + Safari freezes with eGPU
I have a strange problem. Often when I watch a YouTube video, the desktop starts freezing:
- The freezes start after watching the video for some time.
- Initially the entire screen freezes for 1-2 seconds, then unfreezes, then freezes again, and so on, but after a while there freezing is final.
- The mouse cursor and audio keeps working.
- If I try to quit Safari during the initial freezes, then the freeze is instantenous.
- If I unplug and replug the eGPU, everything works again (no need to reboot).
This only happens while watching YouTube videos in Safari using an eGPU. It does not happen with Chrome, Firefox or Edge (dev). Playing video with Quicktime or iTunes also works just fine. Safari+YouTube works using the iGPU.
Anyone else has this problem?
- Mac Mini 2018 core i5
- Radeon 570 4Gb eGPU + LG 4K display (connected to the eGPU)
- MacOS 10.14.5
The same symptoms. I no longer use Safari. Chrome only.
If I need Safari I use Safari Technology Preview it is more stable IMHO.
MacMini, Late 2018, i7
RX580 + 27" benq sw271
eGFX Breakaway Sonnet
Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts
I had the exact same issue occur while I was half-way through upgrading my eGPU, except is was general web browsing with multiple tabs rather than a youtube video in particular and I never tried to unplug the eGPU.
2018 i5 Mini + RX 460 in Akitio Thunder2: Worked for nine months. A couple of clean crashes, but no freezes.
2018 i5 Mini + RX 460 in Sonnet Breakaway: Safari froze my system twice in two weeks.
2018 i5 Mini + RX 570 in Sonnet Breakaway: Two weeks and counting of flawless operation.
Interesting. It might be a Mini 2018 specific issue. I am glad I am not alone with this. 🙂
I also noticed that Safari sometimes uses the iGPU (even though my eGPU is permanently connected). This is not very obvious, since web browsing generally do not need too much graphics power except when using Google Maps or something similar + under Mojave you can't see the GPU usage of the individual apps in Activity Monitor. It might be that the unpredictability of the freezes are related to this. I will try to do more testing in the future.