eGPU.io Community
MacBook pro late 2011

MacBook pro late 2011  

RSS

andy588tt
(@andy588tt)

Hi Everyone

This is my first post so sorry for the silly questions. My Macbook pro has thunderbolt running at 10gbps I want to add an external graphics card to speed up adobe premier video using cuda I have a new Akitio 2 but not sure about the video card. I could get the Evga Nvidia Gforce 980TI 6GB but the bottleneck is the slow thunderbolt port what would be the ideal card from Nvidia.

Regards

Andy 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
deplomb
(@deplomb)
Trusted Member

Hi Andy,

Welcome to the club 🙂
I'm using the mid 2012 15" MBP with thunderbolt 1 and the Akitio thunder 2 and a GTX 970.
I gained significant speed for apps who are capable of using the gpu,
although I have no experience yet with adobe.

You may want to have a look at the benchmarks of other users with the same setup as the one you are thinking about
and do the benchmark with the same settings on your current machine.

If you do some research in the forum I'm pretty optimistic you'll find some enlightening answers about adobe premiere as well.
Keep an eye on these threads
https://egpu.io/forums/pro-applications/
or do a search for adobe / premiere, you'll most certainly find plenty of informations.

Best Regards
Jörg

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
andy588tt
(@andy588tt)

Hi Jorg

Thank you for your reply and the welcome to the club 

Andy

ReplyQuote
andy588tt
(@andy588tt)

Hi Jorg

What you have done is what Im hoping to set up Ive spent hours going through the forum and a lot of posts do no not apply to me as my mac is so old. You have a system that at least is working.  It would be great if people like you with older Macs would share how you got your system working, The forum has very knowledgeable members who I can only look up to with there ability to writing scripts and patches,  I know messing about with setup files is a recipe for having a workable mac become very quickly non-working if the owner don't know what he is doing. The forum is great and I guess over time the forum will become easier to navigate to get questions answered perhaps a page would be for a mac modal and members could uploaded experiences to whatever modal they have .

Regards

Andy

ReplyQuote
deplomb
(@deplomb)
Trusted Member

Hi Andy,

I as well do not have any clue about scripts and complex installations etc. What I basically did was:
1. Backup and Backup OSX (Time machine and Carbon Copy cloner)
2. Backup Bootcamp (with winclone)
3. carefully read in the forums and before I came across egpu.io watch tutorial videos.
4. Take a lot of time for the first installation (on OSX el capitan) and following the instructions coming with the automated script kindly shared by goalque
     https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/automate-egpu-sh-is-reborn-with-amd-polaris-fiji-support-for-macos/paged/1/

5. Installation on windows 7 running on a Bootcamp partition
6. When running into error 12 I bought nando4's DIY eGPU Setup on ebay, installed ant thanks to nandos excellent support got it running.

Messing about with setup files and terminal is always risky.
My advise is first and foremost backup and take your time. Do never rush through any of the steps.
If something does not work as expected, restore from CCC and try again.

I general the topics of the forum are quite well structured.
The discussions here are (luckily) a very lively dynamic process.
Threads may develop in multiple directions and looking for a specific solution may be somewhat time consuming.
In doubt ask. People are very helpful here and share their knowledge.

And finally if you want to have fun going down that road,
do not be too much goal-oriented rather enjoy the process of learning.

Best Regards
Jörg

ReplyQuote
andy588tt
(@andy588tt)

Hi Jorg

Thank you for your encouragement and we all at some time need it by the lorry load, Systems evolve over time, I ended up with a EVGA 980 graphics card 4Gb  and a 16 x 16 riser with built in power lead with capacitor, I thought I was being cleaver by getting a cheap 750 watt pc PSU and simply use the jumper trick to power both the Akitio 2 and the 980 graphic card, however I was not aware of the many configuration there are for a pc PSU. My EVGA 980 card came with two Y leads that stumped me as the cheap PSU didn't have the leads what I really needed I could have used it after working out the amps from the different connections but I overlooked one crucial thing I needed a stable amp flow with circuit protection and my cheap PSU didn't have that I have now ordered a Corsair CXM 750W Semi Modular 80+ Bronze Power Supply its a mouth full and came with a price tag to match but its an investment and it comes with the leads to simply plug into my 980 Graphics Card. The Akitio 2 box is to small for this 10in Graphics card so Im going to use a redundant small PC case to house everything it will be great for keeping everything cool and it has its own fans if I want to use them. I use my mac for video editing and don't want to screw it up it works fine but its slow for rendering, Im going to do a lot more of reading before I try to get this system to work with thunderbolt some threads on the forum work for some but not for all its a mine field with lots of dead ends interesting but it don't pay the bills . Im going to get a larger hard drive because of bootcamp and was going to install windows ten because ease of installing drivers for the graphics card. If there is a way to keep my mac as it is without going down the window route I would be happy. I have 17in macbook pro late 2011 Yosemite 10.10.05 O/S

Regards Andy

ReplyQuote