Spaniard looking for a eGPU for a MBP 2016  

RSS
athnios
(@athnios)

Hello everyone,

I've been looking for a while, and eGPU.io seems the best place around to be updated about these devices. I'm recovering from a MacBook Pro 15' summer purchase, and now seriously considering to get an easy to set and powerful eGPU. Essentially is for gaming, but also for GIS and design software. For now, the Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080 Gaming Box is the one that catches my attention. Unfortunately is not yet available in Spain, so I was wondering if you can provide me any recommendations while I wait and maybe change my mind. I would like to use it also with a not-so-new iMac. With a Thunderbolt 2 adaptor, I hope it will do the trick.

I'll be glad to tell you all about my implementation and experience when it's done!!

I was also hoping that this eGPU could be compatible with VR… Aorus GTX 1080 should be enough I guess?

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 11, 2017 7:13 pm theitsage liked
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Welcome aboard, @athnios! The Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1080 Gaming Box should be more than powerful for VR use. Your 2016 15" MacBook Pro is also one of the best host computer for eGPU. Please read the Boot Camp eGPU setup guide to get yourself familiarized with the process.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 11, 2017 7:46 pm athnios liked
athnios
(@athnios)

Thanks for the warm (and fast!) welcome, @itsage! The guide is great!! My first choice was the MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X 11G + AKiTiO Node TB3, but thanks to your page I (and the AKiTiO team themselves) noticed that it was not compatible. To get an accessible 1080 Ti for my MBP I may need to wait for the Node Pro, which release date is still unknown... wondering about just an 1080 eGPU, I read here about the Gigabyte box that seems much more convenient and affordable for me. Thanks for that!

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 11, 2017 10:41 pm
athnios
(@athnios)

Hey, I finally got the Aorus GTX 1080 Gaming Box, but I'm struggling with making it work. I made it in W10 Boot Camp with an external display, but my attempts in MacOS and internal display (both in Mojave and W10) have been unsuccessful... As soon as I got it to work properly (not much free time for playing around right now), I will post my build with details on performance. Thanks to this community I hope it would be soon!

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 30, 2018 4:06 pm