Clear all

👀 Countdown to Nvidia (RTX 3080?) reveal begins  

of  5
  RSS

Gakkou
(@gakkou)
Eminent Member

@viciousmoth

Probably not, in a normal PC the PSU powers other things too but in eGPU it's just the GPU

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Nandemobako Max
(@nandemobako_max)

Wow, the cuda core numbers of new 3000 series are pretty shocking (in the best way).

I wonder if anyone tested RTX DLSS with egpu. It renders images at a lower resolution which, I guess, will help reduce the performance loss during gaming. Any experience regarding that with any 2000 series cards?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@nandemobako_max, I tested it in my review of the RTX 2080 Ti Gaming Box. It worked great and I was playing Battlefield V in 4K at 60Hz using the 2019 Razer Blade Stealth and Acer XB3 G-Sync monitor.

AMD better has a response soon because nothing on the market from the red team is even close to the Ampere lineup. Watching the Nvidia's keynote gave me the impression Nvidia made the right decision going their own path rather than kowtowing to Apple.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 14" MSI Prestige 14 EVO [11th,4C,G] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Nandemobako Max
(@nandemobako_max)

@itsage, Thanks for the great review! I am glad DLSS boosts egpu performance significantly. This makes 3000 series even more exciting!

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Honorable Member

You’ll want to sign up with Nvidia for notification when the reference founders edition cards (shown yesterday) are available for pre-order. And of course, keep your finger hovering over the “Order Now!” Button. 

Rumors now say the Ampere RTX lineup will be heavily supply-constrained for months. 

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 11.1 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Nandemobako Max
(@nandemobako_max)

@mini-i5, I signed up for 3080. I can imagine the supply shortage happening between the pandemic, a possibly big demand thanks to its dramatic performance improvements, and their not so bad pricing.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Honorable Member

@nandemobako_max

Same here. The experience is prolly going to be crazy. Like ordering a new iPhone model at midnight, the minute it becomes available. 

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 11.1 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Honorable Member

Non-gaming benchmarks are beginning to leak.

In one CUDA performance test suite, the 3080 scored 25%-60% higher  than the 2080ti.

ReplyQuote
odin
 odin
(@odin)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @viciousmoth

According to Nvidia, they are recommending a 750w PSU for the RTX 3090/3080, while recommending 650w for the RTX 3070. My Razer Core X is only rated for 650w (the Chroma version is rated for 700w). Are we Razer Core X owners going to have any issues powering the RTX 3080

That recommendation has a footnote that it's based a configuration with an Intel Core i9-10900K which has a 125W TDP which I believe is the all-core frequency power usage. I believe it can use 250W short term during PL2 boost. I would imagine a 500-600W PSU would be enough for the 3080 in an eGPU by itself.

As an aside, My Sonnet Breakaway Box 550 says it can handle a 375W continuous power requirement for the GPU, the 3080 spec is 320W. What's interesting is Sonnet says the Vega 64 and Radeon VII should use the Sonnet Breakaway 650 for the 375W continuous + 100W Peak that it provides. I'm guessing there's something about the Vega 64 and Radeon VII that can boost short term in this case.

It seems 500W+ might be OK, but it could be safe to wait for Razer to clarify it on their spec sheet.

EDIT: I asked Sonnet regarding the 550, got the following reply 

From our experience, a GPU TDP is average and not peak. We would need to test it to know. Meanwhile, here’s our statement...

The NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 uses a single 8-pin power connector and is compatible with all Sonnet Breakaway Boxes.
The NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 uses dual 8-pin power connectors and requires typically 320W, Until we can test this GPU, Sonnet recommends only the Breakaway Box 650 for the RTX 3080.
The NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 is a triple wide card and does not fit in any Breakaway Box.

LG Gram 17 | Sonnet Breakaway Box 550 | Asus Strix RTX 2070 OC Edition | Win 10 Pro 20H2 + Fedora 32 Dual Boot
Build Link

2018 17" LG Gram 17 [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Amazon has a landing page for AIB RTX 3080 cards [link]. Newegg also has listings for AIB cards [link]. Best Buy will have RTX 3080 FE [link]. I'll be checking on Thursday at 6am pacific time. I like the Founder Edition design the most but that power connector location/angle is an afterthought. 

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 14" MSI Prestige 14 EVO [11th,4C,G] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

odin and mac_editor liked
ReplyQuote
 of  5