Advice please - NUC + enclosure + used MSI GTX 1080 ARMOR 8G OC - What are possi...

Notifications
Clear all

Advice please - NUC + enclosure + used MSI GTX 1080 ARMOR 8G OC - What are possible issues to watch out for?  

RSS

Rygir
(@rygir)

So after checking through the builds (found a couple NUC builds from a while ago) and reading that Thunderbolt 3 is pretty much plug and play and well supported, I want to check if my expectations are realistic :

I  have a MSI GTX 1080 ARMOR 8G OC.

I'm looking at buying a little NUC to play with. Something <500$/€ should do. 8GB of ram and an i3 or i5 probably. I was considering the Celeron even. Does my choice of CPU/NUC  matter much as long as it has Thunderbolt 3? (Aside from the obvious performance associated with the chosen CPU)

And since I have a GPU I'm looking at an external enclosure. Currently checking what's available in my usual webshops. I guess I'm aiming for something like the advised listings :

Best value / cheapest eGPUADT-Link R43SG-TB3 , Sonnet Breakaway 350 , Mantiz Venus , and Razer Core X

edit : Found this one Core X but only Sonnet 550 .

I'm wondering if there's anything to worry about with regards to support for my GPU, which is older but since everything is PCI-E 3x shouldn't be a problem, right?

This topic was modified 2 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@rygir, There's not really an issues with Thunderbolt 3 eGPU for the NUC. If you're after best performance, I'd recommend going M.2 eGPU adapter connection. It uses the M.2 slot to connect the eGPU with ADT-Link R43SG. You can use SATA connection for the hard drive.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Rygir
(@rygir)

@itsage, That's interesting I hadn't considered that was even possible.

I went with the Razer enclosure but it turns out that thing is HUGE. Like half a PC case! Kind of silly next to my NUC. I'm wondering now if it is at all possible to do a build that fits in 8cm height because they all rely on a power supply...which is kind of big by itself.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote