Clear all

Cyberpunk 2077 vs eGPU: Fight!  

of  8
  RSS

jefniro
(@jefniro)
Reputable Member

Ok, here we are... 

News from my MacBookPro Late 2016 (i7 6th gen, 8GB RAM) + MSI RX 5700XT MECH OC eGPU. Windows 10 (20H2) AMD Drivers (20.12.1) I reach in 1080p, 60fps in High Details. The game goes from 50fps to 60fps. The game for now is stable, no crash. I will play more in the next hours...

update: Ultra Details preset: 30fps-40fps

Greetings from Night City!

The game looks awesome!!

2019 14" HP EliteBook 840 G6 [8th,4C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
MakeTheMostOfLife
(@makethemostoflife)

MBP 16" Vega 64 Razer Core X 3440 x 1440 Monitor

Ultra runs around 25fps

Low is around 45fps

Either setting is pretty stable on those numbers.

Cyberpunk 2077 doesn't seem well optimised though for this card as well. The Vega 64 doesn't really ramp up and get pushed that much for this game.

Thinking to wait for a 6800XT or 6900XT rather than play on low settings.... Although I have to say... The low settings still really do look good. It's not like low on other games.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

jefniro liked
ReplyQuote
Ricardo Felix
(@ricardo_felix)

Macbook Pro Intel i9 8 Core 32GB Ram + Chroma X + Red Devil 5700XT

It keep a consistent 60 fps which is playable but it ocassionaly it stutters or freezes or frames drop... It makes the game pretty uncofortable to play...

Any suggestion? I already installed the latest drivers... Tried lowering a bunch of settings inside Cyberpunk and I reduced my diplay from 4k to 1440 or eve 1080. Still experincing some dropout from time to time... 

Could it be my hardware?

This post was modified 5 months ago

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2019)
2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 560X + PowerColor Red Devil 5700 XT (Razer Chroma X)

Leovinus liked
ReplyQuote
drdoom2k
(@drdoom2k)

Having some massive FPS drops sometimes during car scenes, must be the world loading in or something, otherwise very stable. By the way, this must be the first time that I have actually turned on 'film grain' in graphics settings, I feel this makes the game look great as I have felt it was lacking something when turned off. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

jefniro liked
ReplyQuote
jefniro
(@jefniro)
Reputable Member

@ricardo_felix, hello! your egpu is connected directly to the left TB3 port?

2019 14" HP EliteBook 840 G6 [8th,4C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Ricardo Felix
(@ricardo_felix)

@jefniro, hey there, no it's not. I have a HUB attatched on my left side. I connect my eGPU on my right side.

Recently updated the latest AMD drivers and they supposedly fixed issues with cyberpunk. It defenitly helped. Also turned down my resolution to 1440p on my 4k monitor... much better now...

Will hacing my egpu connected to my left improve performance, why?

kind regards,
Ricardo

32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

ReplyQuote
jefniro
(@jefniro)
Reputable Member

@ricardo_felix, well done! No, it's ok. I did not see that you have the 15" model... The TB3 ports are the same on the both sides.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@jefniro, I have been playing Cyberpunk 2077 in the past two days with the RTX 3080 Gaming Box + 2020 Ice Lake MacBook Pro. The eGPU connects to a Samsung CHG90 49-in ultrawide monitor via HDMI. Max resolution is 3840 x 1080 @ 120Hz. I enabled FreeSync ~ G-Sync compatible. The graphics settings for Cyberpunk is max on Ultra. Average FPS is low 40s. Very busy city scenes yield mid 30s. The game is running off an external SSD (Samsung T5 500GB). It's very smooth without any stuttering or frame drops. Here's a few minute recording of gameplay. 

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Matty Hill
(@matty_hill)

@gerd_fuafsljfe

I am running the game at 1080p ultrawide on a core-i5 8257U (macbook pro 13 2020 base model $999) boosted to a constant 3.4 GHz with a 2070s in a core x. I found that I actually get better performance from turning the graphics up to reduce a cpu bottleneck. Funny enough, medium ray tracing with other settings at high/some medium gave me the smoothest 50 fps experience. Ultra settings also will run well at around 55-60 fps. I think egpu users will run into some problems when driving around the world, as the map and NPCs loading in is heavily cpu bound. One way to help with this is turning population density to low in the settings. When driving around night city I will sometimes lose as much as 40-50% performance. Bear in mind the i7 will handle this better, and I never saw below 35 so still very playable, but may still be an issue. DLSS is absolutely necessary, and I am still experimenting but auto or balanced seem best. I do not recommend ultra performance as this will create the biggest cpu bottleneck possible in the game, since it renders the game at 720p. So all in all, game is very playable and looks amazing even on my measly i5, so you should have a good experience none the less. 

@ricardo_felix, Try slightly lowering your target clock speed, maybe 100-200 MHz. You are must likely running into some throttling problems with your macbook, as I have had with mine. Lowering my target clock from 3.6 to 3.4 GHz took every stutter out of the game and it ran silky smooth. If you are looking for a program to adjust this I recommend Quick CPU for bootcamp. Go into advanced settings and then speed shift and adjust the target clock there. You can also adjust turbo clock and minimum throttle speeds here. Just make sure speed shift is enabled in Quick CPU. You could also try Throttlestop but in my experience it is not nearly as good as Quick CPU.

Macbook Pro 13" 2020 i5-8257U + RTX 2070 Super

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

jefniro liked
ReplyQuote
Ricardo Felix
(@ricardo_felix)

@matty_hill, Thanks, I installed quickCPU before but it was interfering with My Razer Cortex App (Since I use a Chroma X) So I uninstalled... 

32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

ReplyQuote
 of  8