Notifications
Clear all

Cyberpunk 2077 vs eGPU: Fight!  

of  8
  RSS

jefniro
(@jefniro)
Reputable Member

@itsage, I had to turn down the preset to High Level from Ultra because in Night City the performance drops to 20-30 fps average with my setting. I will try to use Quick CPU as @matty_hill explained (thank you!). However the game looks very very good and I think they will try to optimize it with the future updates.

2019 14" HP EliteBook 840 G6 [8th,4C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Maven
(@maven)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @itsage

@jefniro, I have been playing Cyberpunk 2077 in the past two days with the RTX 3080 Gaming Box + 2020 Ice Lake MacBook Pro. The eGPU connects to a Samsung CHG90 49-in ultrawide monitor via HDMI. Max resolution is 3840 x 1080 @ 120Hz. I enabled FreeSync ~ G-Sync compatible. The graphics settings for Cyberpunk is max on Ultra. Average FPS is low 40s. Very busy city scenes yield mid 30s. The game is running off an external SSD (Samsung T5 500GB). It's very smooth without any stuttering or frame drops. Here's a few minute recording of gameplay. 

With RTX maxed too?

Thats pretty good if so!!!

Im in the complete opposite position than most currently. I have a 3090 sitting here and was going to build a new PC. However, scalpers have made betting a 5900X/5950X darn near impossible.

I’m really tempted to just get the Late 2020 Stealth 1080p (Since there’s no display PWM) and call it a day. 

I have been in the eGPU community awhile and know the hits I would be taking. Interestingly, I have seen some youtubers out there comparing desktop vs eGPU external benchmarks showing almost 2x increases in games when using a desktop. I can’t normally trust this as eGPUs need to be setup correctly and the users need to know what to look for and fix. 20% is okay, 50% is NOT!

Any insight?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Famed Member Moderator

@itsage, that video is madness! Such a good set up, hope you've shared it other places too (reddit?) because I imagine quite a few folks would be interested.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Lite) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
jefniro
(@jefniro)
Reputable Member

These are the suggestions from Digital Foundry if you want try to boost your perfomance:

• Contact Shadows: On
  • Improved Facial Lighting Geometry: On
  • Local Shadow Mesh Quality: High
  • Local Shadow Quality High
  • Cascaded Shadows Range: High
  • Cascaded Shadows Resolution: Medium
  • Distant Shadows Resolution: High
  • Volumetric Fog Resolution: 1080p Ultra, 1440p High, 4K Medium
  • Volumetric Cloud Quality: Medium
  • Max Dynamic Decals: Ultra
  • Screen Space Reflections Quality: Low or High (depends from you).
  • Subsurface Scattering Quality: High
  • Ambient Occlusion: Low
  • Colour Precision: Medium
  • Mirror Quality: 1080p High. 1440p High, 4K Medium
  • Level of Detail: High

Guide for the ray tracing

• Ray Traced Reflections: On
  • Ray Traced Shadows: Off
  • Ray Traced Lighting: Medium

Guide for DLSS

• 1080p: DLSS Quality
  • 1440p: DLSS Balanced
  • 4K: DLSS Performance
2019 14" HP EliteBook 840 G6 [8th,4C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mbliss11
(@mbliss11)
Eminent Member

@itsage, Digging your ambient lighting setup!  I have a lightpack and prismatic on my 29inch Ultrawide and love it!  What is your light setup? 

2020 13" Razer Blade Stealth (GTX1650Ti) [10th,4C,G] + RTX 3060 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@maven, I believe the default for my RTX 3080 in the games was at RTX Ultra at the top. I didn't change anything except the resolution and from borderless to fullscreen. I will take some screen capture of the full settings.

@eightarmedpet Didn't get around to post on Reddit yet but will do tomorrow. The FPS numbers don't tell the whole story, gameplay through this setup is really as smooth as the video shows. The liquid cooling system kept the RTX 3080 below 60 degrees Celsius the entire time.

@mbliss11 There are three Philips Hue Play light bars mounted on the back of the monitor (top one is horizontal while side ones are vertical). The bottom light source is a Hue Strip Plus 2m mounted on the back of the desk surface. Hue Sync runs on the MacBook Pro and set to Game and Audio.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
frankthetank_98
(@frankthetank_98)

@itsage, hey bro I thought Nvidia cards aren't supported on Bootcamp Macs? yet you are playing with a RTX3080

Also may I know if it's possible to run nvidia cards on Big Sur OS? There seems to be an overwhelming amount of information in the forum and I just wish someone with the most updated information could inform me of this. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Famed Member Moderator

@frankthetank_98, eGPUs are not officially supported in Bootcamp at all, neither AMD nor Nvidia, but that doesn't mean they don't work (check builds)

Nvidia cards haven't had macOS drivers since High Sierra, and will never have drivers again.

I wonder if a "latest guide/advice" tile would be helpful on the home page?

---

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Lite) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
frankthetank_98
(@frankthetank_98)

@eightarmedpet, ya a latest guide on the home page would definitely be helpful.

Btw bro, how’s your 2017 mbp doing in windows with RX5700xt? Have you tested out the average FPS of cyberpunk under 1080p?

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Famed Member Moderator

@frankthetank_98, I'm not actually using it that much tbh... my MBP is on its last legs, or rather something is defo up with it, wondering if the fans are clogged as they tend to be on full blast and the CPU is pretty damn hot most the time.

I'm kinda between Macs atm, having a bot of a meltdown what to do to keep a single machine that can do work stuff as well as game (currently have the 5700XT in a Hackintosh as I am not travelling with work atm).

---

ReplyQuote
 of  8