Notifications
Clear all

Cyberpunk 2077 vs eGPU: Fight!  

of  8
  RSS

GamesOnMacBookPro
(@gamesonmacbookpro)
Estimable Member

@heythiswayup, hey man, I did another benchmarking video (2K this time, not 1080), please have a look. 

no, I haven't noticed any major bugs/issues so far. There are so many glitchy videos on youtube, some broken stats, crafting, or broken weapons. 

If you play as normal, I think it is a super-duper game and I like Night City!

MacBook Pro: Intel Core i7-4870HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD (Internal), GeForce GT 750M (disabled), 500GB Samsung SSD (External)
eGPU setup: eGFX Breakaway Box, MSI Armor Radeon RX 580 8G, Driver: 19.9.2

Latest games' performance videos
Latest games' performance videos (prev)

2014 15" MacBook Pro (GT750M) [4th,4C,H] + RX 580 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 350) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
heythiswayup
(@heythiswayup)

@gamesonmacbookpro, thanks! That's really useful didnt really see it drop below 40fps. Might have to get this in the end. Seems like a longer game than I normally play but I guess that's value for you!

15" Macbook Pro (2015)
16gb / 2tb SSD HD / R9 M370X

Egpu: Razer Core X
Radeon RX 580 (8GB)

ReplyQuote
odin
 odin
(@odin)
Estimable Member

I'm playing it on my LG Gram 17 + Sonnet Breakaway 550 + Strix 2070 OC, using the internal panel at native 2560x1600. (no.. I don't have an external monitor, don't really have room for it..). Playing it on mostly high with some strategic things turned down after doing reading and experimenting, I turned off RTX sadly, but I left DLSS on obviously at either quality or balanced I can't recall.

98% of the time it's perfectly playable and a good experience. The 15W 4c/8t CPU struggles in some areas where there's a ton of things going on like driving around in little china (low FPS, a little audio breakup that is either because of CPU or disk access). But usually FPS isn't crucial during those times as I'm just driving around. Obviously if I had a better CPU or an external monitor it might be a little better, but I'm not complaining at all. The times the FPS gets bad are rare and seem to so far be not super critical in a difficult fight or something, it seemed they did a good job of having those challenging gameplay moments mostly perform well.

CP2077 seems like a game that you'd want at least a 6c/12t CPU for as if you are extremely OCD about performance. I think if I had an extra two SMT capable physical cores some of these problems would be smoothed out, but as it stands given my setup I have zero complaints.

The game looks phenomenal and I'm having a blast playing it. I'm about 75 hours in, doing a lot of side quests as I think I'm edging closer and closer to the main quest either coming close to resolving or maybe about getting to a point of no return. I'm doing a mostly pistol/stealth build (nomad for the little that means). I will probably do another playthrough and switch genders to male and do a heavily netrunner/tech focus to see how that play style is different. I'm mostly using my tech right now to disable cameras and distract enemies. I kind of even forgot to do any cyberware at all until kind of later. Tell you what getting some gorilla arms is crucial if you want to win the boxing matches if you are largely ignoring Body in your build. Smile

EDIT: as far as bugs... yeah.. there's a LOT of lack of polish. They are squashing them slowly. For the the first 2-3 hours I almost just set the game aside and waited a couple months for patches before trying again. I saw so many immersion breaking glitches and bugs in that first few hours, I was not expecting the game to be in that state of polish. I've had a much better time in the subsequent hours and the bugs seem to be happening less often. They still happen though. There have been some times I've had to quicksave and load just to get rid of some annoying thing sticking around on the UI or some clearly bugged state happening. It's only outright crashed maybe 2-3 times in those 75 hours.

2018 17" LG Gram 17 [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
hellman
(@hellman)

Testing on RBS early 2016 (6500U) + Razer Core X + Gigabyte 2070

I think there's a serious CPU bottleneck. CPU usage is always >90%, but GPU runs between 75-99% I am sure the game is using eGPU.

1440P

RTX on ultra 9-17 FPS terrible experience

RTX on medium 15-24 FPS

Low, Medium, High 14-32 FPS not too much difference, can drop to single digit in crowded area.

Medium with DLSS on (quality) 24-35 FPS best setting I find so far. I don't know why, but it seems like the most stable setting. It can maintain above 30FPS most of the time.

High RTX on DLSS quality 25 FPS

1080P

Low 20-35 FPS cannot hold steady 30 FPS

High 20-30 FPS

high RTX on DLSS quality 28 FPS pretty stable

To my surprise 1080p does not improve FPS to much, less than 5 FPS.

Open Ray Tracing will lose few frames, not much. But the FPS will fluctuate, especially walking through crowded area.

I tried my wife's Acer Swift 5. After installing TB3 driver and control center. Swift 5 recognizes Core X with no problem. But at mentioned in other posts, Swift 5 has a crappy TB3. It does not charge the computer. It may maintain the battery level, but most likely the battery will drop.

CPU still runs at 90% usage, GPU runs almost 100%

1080P

RTX on medium 23-29 FPS much better than RBS

High RTX on DLSS quality 28- 33 FPS quite smooth experience

Ultra RTX on DLSS quality 23-37 still playable.

In general, it's impossible for 6500U to run smoothly at 30FPS. 1065G7 is likely to maintain 30FPS at 1080P. And the difference between 1440P and 1080P does not seem to be large.

I guess it's time to replace my RBS?

2020 15" Razer Blade 15 (GTX1660Ti) [10th,6C,H] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
murrayman
(@murrayman)

Perhaps someone can help me out here, as my issue is with stuttering:

• 2018 Mac mini i7 256GB, 32GB RAM, 1Gbps Ethernet
  • Razer Core X + XFX THICC III AMD Radeon 5700 XT (using OEM TB3 cord, connected to TB3 port closest to ethernet jack)
  • 1TB Samsung T7 external SSD (using OEM USB-C cord, connected to TB3 port closest to HDMI)
  • Cyberpunk 2077 v1.06 unmodified, installed on T7 + medium graphical preset @ 1440p, no res scaling + medium crowd density

About 70% of the time, the game runs smoothly between 45 to 60fps, but the other 30% of the time - usually driving, sprinting, or navigating crowds in a dense urban area - the framerate stays in the same range, but with extensive stuttering, nearly to the point of making it unplayable. CPU and GPU utilization bounce around fairly equally between 90% - 100% in said instances.

Anyone see anything wrong with the way I've got my hardware configured? Anything I should be doing on the software end of things?

This post was modified 4 months ago

2018 Mac mini i7 256GB, 32GB RAM, 1Gbps Ethernet + Razer Core X + XFX THICC III AMD Radeon 5700 XT 8GB

ReplyQuote
Nutype
(@nutype)

@murrayman

If you're running the game from the external drive, try installing it on the internal drive.

I've had troubles with some games running from external drives.

2020 13" HP Spectre X360 [10th,4C,G] + RX 570 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (PowerColor Mini Pro) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Manu89ft
(@manu89ft)
Eminent Member

How much does the tb3 lose in percentage with new gpu? I have the config in signature, compared to the online benchmarks (desktop) I have perhaps the performance of a 6800xt, is this normal?

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 6900 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
odin
 odin
(@odin)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @manu89ft

How much does the tb3 lose in percentage with new gpu? I have the config in signature, compared to the online benchmarks (desktop) I have perhaps the performance of a 6800xt, is this normal?

Yes.. the 6900 XT isn't much faster at all than a 6800 XT anyway.. I'd say that's a pretty small percentage of performance loss if it's performing like a 6800 XT installed in a desktop PC.

2018 17" LG Gram 17 [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Manu89ft
(@manu89ft)
Eminent Member

Yes in 4k the performances are about those between a 6800 and a 6800xt looking at the benchmarks .. it loses a 20/25% ... nothing can be done to improve it? are there boxes better than core x? It seems strange to me, it doesn't seem to be cpu limit, looking with msi afterburner the percentage of cpu use is low, gpu instead 100%

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 6900 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Han Siang WONG
(@han_siang_wong)

Posted by: @jefniro

These are the suggestions from Digital Foundry if you want try to boost your perfomance:

• Contact Shadows: On
  • Improved Facial Lighting Geometry: On
  • Local Shadow Mesh Quality: High
  • Local Shadow Quality High
  • Cascaded Shadows Range: High
  • Cascaded Shadows Resolution: Medium
  • Distant Shadows Resolution: High
  • Volumetric Fog Resolution: 1080p Ultra, 1440p High, 4K Medium
  • Volumetric Cloud Quality: Medium
  • Max Dynamic Decals: Ultra
  • Screen Space Reflections Quality: Low or High (depends from you).
  • Subsurface Scattering Quality: High
  • Ambient Occlusion: Low
  • Colour Precision: Medium
  • Mirror Quality: 1080p High. 1440p High, 4K Medium
  • Level of Detail: High

Guide for the ray tracing

• Ray Traced Reflections: On
  • Ray Traced Shadows: Off
  • Ray Traced Lighting: Medium

Guide for DLSS

• 1080p: DLSS Quality
  • 1440p: DLSS Balanced
  • 4K: DLSS Performance

Just got my 3060ti and followed this settings hardly go beyond 40 FPS.

Setup: 
Razer Core X with 3060ti
Intel 10875H
32GB RAM

PCI Link State in Windows is set to disable, Power management mode in NVCP is set yo prefer Max performance.
Tried Disabling dGPU same. GPU usage hovers from 50-70, CPU from 60-80%

Aftershock Apex 15X (2020)[ Tongfang GM5M Series ]-10857H/32GB DDR4 2666/SX8200 1TB/SN750 500GB/2060ti/Intel UHD
Razer Core X + MSI 3060ti Gaming X Trio

ReplyQuote
 of  8