eGPU for Lenovo Y720 Laptop

Notifications
Clear all

eGPU for Lenovo Y720 Laptop  

RSS

(@ahmed_al-hasnawy)

Hello Everybody ..

I've got Lenovo Legion Y720 laptop with an i7-7700hq, 16gb ram, and  GTX 1060  6gb and TB3 (P.S : the TB3 is PCH controlled , PCILines : 4).
I have thought of buying an eGpu to play games at high-resolution such as ([email protected]) or ([email protected]) like (story mode games) as well as 1080p at high frame rate (for competitive games)  .

I wonder what eGPU and graphics card my laptop can handle? any recommendations ? and can get the performance I want ?
P.S : I'm playing with external 27" 4k 60HZ monitor only . will buy one with 144HZ if I found an eGPU giving me 144fps

Thanks.

This topic was modified 4 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@ahmed_al-hasnawy, The RTX 2080 Ti is barely able to do [email protected] Through the Thunderbolt 3 eGPU route, it will lose some performance. I'm testing the AORUS RTX 2080 Ti Gaming Box with the Acer Predator XB3 4K 144Hz monitor. You can expect approximately [email protected], [email protected], and [email protected] with such setup.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
(@ahmed_al-hasnawy)

@itsage, what eGPU enclosure do you recommend ? and can I buy 2080ti for my laptop ? since it has i7 7700HQ (2.8GHZ) , 16GB RAM , So I don't know if it's possible to run such high-end graphics card with these laptop specs .

thank you .

This post was modified 4 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@ahmed_al-hasnawy, The i7 7700HQ is still a very capable processor. Higher resolution produces less performance loss through Thunderbolt 3 connection so there's technically no limits with which GPU you can pair. The AORUS RTX 2080 Ti Gaming Box is actually the best value atm. Otherwise you can pair an RTX 2080 Ti with a Core X Chroma.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
(@ahmed_al-hasnawy)

@itsage, that's really helpful , much appreciated 

ReplyQuote