eGPU Gaming with Macs - Windows Boot Camp Gameplay Videos
"How is eGPU gaming with a Mac?" or "What does eGPU gaming look like?" are often asked questions. Thanks to one of our members, @gamesonmacbookpro who has been documenting his experience in the past year, we now have some very visual answers.
- MacBook Pro 15" Mid 2014 “MacBookPro11,3”
- 2.5GHz Quad Core (I7-4870HQ) - with Turbo Boost 2.0 (up to 3.7 GHz for this model)
- 16 GB DDR3 1600MHz
- GeForce GT 750M with 2 GB of dedicated GDDR5 SDRAM dGPU
- Intel Iris Pro 5200 with 128 MB iGPU
- 512GB SSD (Internal) / 500GB Samsung SSD (External)
- Win 10, version 1909
- eGFX Breakaway Box (GPU-350W-TB3Z)
- MSI AMD RX 580 ARMOR 8G OC 8 GB GDDR5
- Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter
- StarTech Thunderbolt Cable (1.0 m)
- 24" Samsung SF4F350 monitor (connected with HDMI cable)
Gameplay Recording setup/process:
- Bandicam software to record gameplays
- Youtube 1080p default settings
First thing you'd notice is his host computer, a mid 2014 15" MacBook Pro. Yes, the eGPU is running on a Thunderbolt 2 connection. No, it's not a terrible idea at all when playing through an external monitor. @Gamesonmacbookpro noted that running Bandicam to record gameplay robs the performance by 5~10 fps depending on the game. Overall the eGPU gaming performance is a significant improvement over the dGPU. Check these videos out!
Man of Medan
Sea of Solitude
The Surge 2
Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid
Intruders: Hide and Seek
Final Fantasy XV: Windows Edition
Rain of Reflections
Dual Blade: Battle of The Female Ninja
Sniper Elite 3: Afrika
Trine 4 : The Nightmare Prince
Rage 2 : Rise of the Ghosts | Cult Of The Death God : Nicholas Raine's uniform and gun!
The Outer Worlds
The Outer Worlds : Sneak and Sniper/Range build : Edgewater Quests - Part 1
Star Wars: Jedi - Fallen Order
This Land Is My Land
Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts
Kings of Lorn: The Fall of Ebris
This is such a good reference/resource. Cheers for sharing chaps.
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10
Isn't there any similar resource on Mac OS games running on Macs with eGPU ? Is Mac gaming that far off the Windows world to really have to go to Bootcamp for any gaming at all ?
I know www.macgamerhq.com but I have not been able to compare resolutions and availability of titles between Mac and Windows. I do not need hundreds of titles, only enough choice to find a couple of games I like and have my new eGPU get some use. Does Steam provide enough of those ?