eGPU with GTX 1080 or laptop dGPU GTX 1060?  

RSS

Jimmidk
(@jimmidk)
February 5, 2019 9:40 am  

Hi guys

I have a Lenovo Legion Y720 laptop with an i7-7700hq, 16gb ram, and GTX 1060 6gb and TB3.
I have thought of buying a eGpu with a GTX 1080, because i thought the GTX 1080 is way better (which it is).

But now i saw this thread  https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/pcie-slot-dgpu-vs-thunderbolt-3-egpu-internal-display-test/
Where i can see a lot of performance lost when using a eGPU.
I have read the entire thread and some of the results it seems like the difference between my dGPU 1060 and a eGPU 1080, is just about 9-10 frames when using an external monitor.

I now wonder if i should buy a eGPU or not? 
My setup is that i use my laptop as a "desktop" with external keyboard/mouse and a 27" 144hz 1080p monitor.
I do sometimes game with some friends ie. the laptop, but i have no intention of using the eGPU with the internal display of the laptop.

Thanks.

This topic was modified 2 weeks ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
February 5, 2019 2:06 pm  

Here is a build with similar specs to what you're considering. There's an appreciable performance gain going from GTX 1060 dGPU to GTX 1080 eGPU.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

94 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
Jimmidk
(@jimmidk)
February 5, 2019 3:05 pm  

He gets a bigger performance boost than most other of the videos i’ve seen on youtube, i don’t know why they don’t seem to get more than 9-12fps boost, when here he gets about 30fps. I know it’s a synthetic test, and i don’t know how much it means in FireStrike and Spy since i don’t know those benchmarks so well.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Honorable Member
February 5, 2019 3:22 pm  
Posted by: Jimmidk

He gets a bigger performance boost than most other of the videos i’ve seen on youtube, i don’t know why they don’t seem to get more than 9-12fps boost, when here he gets about 30fps. I know it’s a synthetic test, and i don’t know how much it means in FireStrike and Spy since i don’t know those benchmarks so well.

- eGPU loses about 20%.compared to dGPU. (On 4k it's even much less)
- GTX1080 wins about 70-80% compared to GTX1060.

The rest are simple calculations. The performance gain is big and should be 50% at least.

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
February 5, 2019 3:53 pm  

@jimmidk Yes, the Alienware laptops and 15" MacBook Pro have a superior Thunderbolt 3 connection compared to other laptops. They have the Thunderbolt 3 controller attached directly to the CPU rather than PCH. Other laptops have TB3 port goes through PCH then to CPU. You have to check whether your Lenovo Legion Y720 has this same arrangement. 

ReplyQuote
Jimmidk
(@jimmidk)
February 5, 2019 4:29 pm  

Is there a Way to find out? Do i need to contact Lenovo or is there any program that can tell me how my TB3 is connected. Like CPU-Z can tell me about my CPU for instance.

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
February 5, 2019 4:59 pm  

You can run HWiNFO64 to find this out. If the Thunderbolt 3 controller attaches to the CPU directly it will be under a PCI Express Controller. If it's under a PCI Express Root port then it's going through the PCH. Here are a couple of examples.

Apple 15" MBP - CPU Dell XPS 9570 - PCH

ReplyQuote
Jimmidk
(@jimmidk)
February 5, 2019 5:16 pm  

Jesus😄

but Thanks i’ll try the program. 

I found a site with spec that says:
TB3 self or bus powered = self

Does that tell anything?

ReplyQuote
Jimmidk
(@jimmidk)
February 6, 2019 10:26 pm  

@theitsage i have checked with HWiNFO64 and i Think the TB3 controller is connected to the PCH (see foto)

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
February 6, 2019 10:36 pm  

@jimmidk That looks about right. The only x16 PCIe Controller hosts the GTX 1060 dGPU.

ReplyQuote
Jimmidk
(@jimmidk)
February 7, 2019 5:14 am  

And what do you recon the difference in Fps/% is from those to TB3 controllers?

ReplyQuote