Found a way to boost FPS in RDR2 by 15% (with AMD RX5700) but eager to know why ...

Notifications
Clear all

Found a way to boost FPS in RDR2 by 15% (with AMD RX5700) but eager to know why it happens (other games might apply as well!)  

RSS

naticom
(@naticom)
Eminent Member

Cross-posted on reddit

My setup:

Dell Precision 5530 (i7 8850H, 1TB SSD, 32GB RAM)
Sonnet Breakaway 350 + AMD RX5700 (Ref) via TB3
LG 27" 4K Monitor
Win10 1803 (most stable version for my setup, update is not considered at this time)

Normally I hook up the 4K external display and disable laptop display while gaming, and below is my nominal FPS for a mix of low, med and high settings (I basically followed Hardware Unboxed's Optimized RDR2 Settings, Vulkan and Async on) running built-in benchmark:

Resolution set to 3840x2160
Resolution Scale off:             28.4 FPS
Resolution Scale x 0.9:         31.3 FPS
Resolution Scale x 0.834:     33.4 FPS (this is my all time preference)
Resolution Scale x 0.8:         34.3 FPS

This morning I forgot to connect my external display so the game showed up on my internal display (1080p), I was thinking "why not give it a try" so I ran a benchmark, and the results was pathetic 24FPS. I knew already it would be bad so it's not a surprise to me.

Then I quit the game, hooked up my external display again. As the game was lastly run on my laptop's screen, the display had been automatically adjusted to 1080p so I had to switch it back to 2160p, and then I ran another benchmark with resolution scale 0.834. Strange thing happened - the built-in benchmark gave me 38 FPS, which is a 15% improvement, and I can feel that it's smoother while Arthur's riding in the wilderness.

I was so perplexed with the result, so I tried the following scenarios and observed the results:

1. With external monitor connected, restart the game and run a benchmark (33.x FPS)

2. With external monitor connected, restart the game, change resolution to 1080p, run a benchmark, switch it back to 2160p, run another benchmark (33.x FPS)

3. Disconnect the external monitor, restart the game on laptop screen (resolution becomes 1080p), quit the game, connect external monitor, restart the game on external monitor, manually switch the resolution back to 2160p, run the benchmark (38.x FPS)

I did these experiments multiple times and the third scenario always boost my FPS by 15%. If I quit the game, I'll have to repeat the process before playing next time.

There's also one thing I observed is that for the 3rd scenario, the lowest FPS and highest FPS are much more stable, say 21.X for the lowest and 54.X on the highest, 38.X on avg. But for other cases I always get lowest 0.7 FPS and highest 9X FPS, 33.X on avg

Hopefully someone could explain the situation.

This topic was modified 1 month ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@naticom, Can you provide more information of your Dell Precision 5530? Does it have a dGPU and have you checked the PCH chip for cooling/temp during these scenarios?

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
naticom
(@naticom)
Eminent Member

@itsage

Yes, it has nVidia Quadro P1000 but I disabled both built-in iGPU and dGPU via Device Manager on this machine. What is a PCH chip? Let me google it but I don't think cooling is a problem because I've done this experiment at different times and it works everytime I'm reproducing scenario 3. Probably there's some optimization that hasn't been done with the game.

I'll see if I can install other games and do a comparison during the weekends.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Jens Engels
(@jens_engels)

@naticom, Wow this is actually crazy !! I have tried your 3th method today on my Macbook Pro, and It acctually works :o!! I have tried this in Call Of Duty: Warzone. ran around 15% better! Not solving the main issues that the game has with an egpu, but still it worked!

This is very weird but at the same time good to know! Would also love to hear the explanation of this!

Thank you very much for this find, I will continue to do this work around for all my games.

Late 2016 Macbook Pro + Razer Core X + AMD RX 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
naticom
(@naticom)
Eminent Member

@jens_engels

this is awesome! Are you also running games under boot camp? What’s your win 10 version?

Posted by: @jens_engels

@naticom, Wow this is actually crazy !! I have tried your 3th method today on my Macbook Pro, and It acctually works :o!! I have tried this in Call Of Duty: Warzone. ran around 15% better! Not solving the main issues that the game has with an egpu, but still it worked!

This is very weird but at the same time good to know! Would also love to hear the explanation of this!

Thank you very much for this find, I will continue to do this work around for all my games.

ReplyQuote
Jens Engels
(@jens_engels)

@naticom, I do run games under bootcamp, I have the latest windows 10 version, running the old .sys file. I boot into windows via EFI.

I hope @itsage maybe has an idea as to why this results in a 15% fps boost, as my knowledge of these things, doesn't reach this far. Maybe a simple script can be written to run so we don't have to do the process each time. And I hope many other egpu users could be helped by this too :)! If not all egpu users. Smile

Late 2016 Macbook Pro + Razer Core X + AMD RX 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
naticom
(@naticom)
Eminent Member

@jens_engels, for RDR2 I discovered an easier so I don't have to go through the whole process.

After placing the game on my laptop screen, quit the game and then backup the settings.xml (which contains the 1080p setting) file elsewhere. Next time before launching the game, just copy over the settings.xml back to its original location and I'm good to go!

ReplyQuote
whatisegpu
(@whatisegpu_1)

Posted by: @jens_engels

What resolution is your laptop set to? Did you set it to 1080p?

I tried this in Fortnite and it didn't change the performance. However, my laptop monitor was set to 1800p instead of 1080p and my external monitor is 1440p. I'll try it again by setting the display resolution of the laptop to 1080p and see if that makes a difference and will also test Warzone.

2019 MBP 15" with Razer Core X and a RX 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
david3
(@david3)

Can you double check to see if the render resolution stays the same when using internal/external monitors?  

ReplyQuote