Hp Spectre i7-8565U with eGPU RTX 2060 or New laptop having i7-9750H with intern...

Notifications
Clear all

For better gaming performance and cost effective Poll is created on Jun 11, 2020

Poll results: For better gaming performance and cost effective
Voter(s): 1
Poll is created on Jun 11, 2020
Current Hp Spectre x360 13" i7-8565U DDR4 16GB with eGPU RTX 2060  -  votes: 0 / 0%
0%
Buy new with i7-9750H and internal RTX 2060  -  votes: 1 / 100%
100%
Not much difference in cost and performance. can go with either options.  -  votes: 0 / 0%
0%

Hp Spectre i7-8565U with eGPU RTX 2060 or New laptop having i7-9750H with internal GPU RTX 2060  

RSS

Asad Baidar
(@asad_baidar)

Hello there,

I have Hp Spectre 13" i7-8565U DDR4 16GB and I am considering an eGPU RTX 2060 to plug into it.

But I am confused.

- Worth spending money on eGPU with Thunderbolt bottleneck? 

Or rather I buy a new laptop with i7-9750H and internal RTX 2060.

- Would there be enough difference in gaming performance?

- Worth spending the difference in cost for a laptop with an internal GPU?

1440 gaming is enough for me. Please suggest me a good choice. Thank you.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
ha1o2surfer
(@se12897)
Trusted Member

An internal 2060 may even beat an 8565u with a 2070...  

the biggest unknown is how well the HP cools that CPU. 

But in *general* the internal card will beat an EGPU setup if you are comparing those two specifically. 

2020 13" HP EliteBook 830 G7 [10th,6C,U] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
odin
 odin
(@odin)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @asad_baidar

Hello there,

I have Hp Spectre 13" i7-8565U DDR4 16GB and I am considering an eGPU RTX 2060 to plug into it.

But I am confused.

- Worth spending money on eGPU with Thunderbolt bottleneck? 

Or rather I buy a new laptop with i7-9750H and internal RTX 2060.

- Would there be enough difference in gaming performance?

- Worth spending the difference in cost for a laptop with an internal GPU?

1440 gaming is enough for me. Please suggest me a good choice. Thank you.

The two extra cores are going to make a big difference going forward. I'm already seeing massive problems with my 8565U trying to play CP2077. I don't know how much further optimization in the coming 1.1 and 1.2 patches will affect it, but even playing it with a 1080p external monitor I finally was able to get I have a lot of bad performance on my setup in very dense areas even if I turn down the crowd density. I don't know if it's something about the streaming of assets or if it's a 4c/8t problem or a combination. If you're planning on keeping the setup for a while I would consider the new laptop option.

It mostly comes down to how you are using the setup and how important AAA game performance is. The 2060 dGPU is probably going to perform better, and getting 2 extra cores on the CPU will help down the road. Partially depends on the TDP of the 2060 in the new laptop vs a desktop 2060 in an eGPU and how much the new laptop fits your lifestyle and workflow compared to the new one with a 9750H. You didn't say exactly which laptop it is you're considering, which one specifically are you looking at? What's the battery life? Does the fan noise of the new laptop matter? Is the panel in the Spectre better than the new laptop? Did you consider that brand new 30 series laptops with AMD Ryzen 5000 CPUs are coming out in the next couple-few months?

If your MAIN use case is gaming.. probably better off with a new laptop.

2018 17" LG Gram 17 [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Asad Baidar
(@asad_baidar)

@odin, @ha1o2surfer, I appreciate the response. 

Although Its been 7 months to my post but I still didn't go with any decision till now.

I've decided now to buy Macbook Pro with an M1 chip for work and for gaming a PS5 console when the stock gets available. waited too long for this.

Thank you, guys.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
odin
 odin
(@odin)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @asad_baidar

@odin, @ha1o2surfer, I appreciate the response. 

Although Its been 7 months to my post but I still didn't go with any decision till now.

I've decided now to buy Macbook Pro with an M1 chip for work and for gaming a PS5 console when the stock gets available. waited too long for this.

Thank you, guys.

Sounds like a solid plan.

2018 17" LG Gram 17 [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote